What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

*** Official 2014 Colorado @ Georgia Basketball Game Thread ***

I didn't see the game, but in general someone has to create and take shots, so I can't really fault ski for trying to be that guy. It seems like there might be better guys for that role on this team, but they aren't stepping into the glaring hole that exists. You can't just pass around the perimeter and then fire up a three as the shot clock winds down. Someone has to create shot opportunities and put the other team in positions that can result in fouls.

2 examples. CU on the fast break and Booker pulls up one foot inside the arc and misses. Does the same shot with minutes left and down by 8. Both are bad shots.

It is nice he got 20, but he didn't help the team out much while getting there. His points as the end were pure start stuffers.

2 examples. CU on the fast break and Booker pulls up one foot inside the arc and misses. Does the same shot with minutes left and down by 8. Both are bad shots.

It is nice he got 20, but he didn't help the team out much while getting there. His points as the end were pure start stuffers.
Again, I didn't see this particular game so I am speaking in generalities. However, if ski has an open jumpshot and we've got guys under the basket in position to rebound, I'd much rather him take the shot than to pull it out and set up our non-existent half court offense.

just finished watching. now I have to help with Christmas cards. not sure which will turn out to be more painful in the end.

0 points and 1 assist from Talton

Tad needs to start Dom and define roles. (I say this despite Dom struggling today in his 1st road game.)

If we stay with the current setup:

Starters/Position Subs

PG - Dom/J-Hop
SG - Ski/XT
Wing - XJ/Fletch
PF - Wes/Dustin
C - Josh/Miller

However, if I was Tad I'd be damn tempted to mix this up in a big way.

PG - Dom
SG - Ski
Wing - Fletch
Wing - XJ
Post - Josh

And then Dustin's probably my first guy off the bench. Wes and XT are right there. It's pretty much an 8-man rotation.

Got in late last night?

Sunday game. ****ing leave on a Friday for a game 2,000 miles away with an early start. Small-time decision producing small-time results.

Not the results we needed. Going on road apparently means going cold for long periods of time.

That P12 tournement gets more and more important with each RPI impacting loss.

Not the results we needed. Going on road apparently means going cold for long periods of time.

That P12 tournement gets more and more important with each RPI impacting loss.
It's not just the road games that we've had long periods of ****ty basketball. Both usf and lipbalm put big runs on the buffs.

Just watched on the DVR.

Not a good outing. I wouldn't be at surprised if this team doesn't make the NCAA tourney. Will we ever find someone that can consistently shoot from the outside?
Was anyone happy with our offensive identity? I honestly cant figure out what exactly our offensive identity is.

Defensively, we continue to struggle stopping a team from scoring from behind the 3pt line.

At least they didn't turtle like at Wyoming.

It is embarrassing how bad we are shooting from 3. That had 3 or 4 guys that made a 3 pointer and we don't even have one that was consistent today.

One big issue I have noticed is we do not move the ball well on the road, and I think that's the biggest factor in our shooting struggles on the road. In both away games we have had a assist:turnover ratio of 0.5 or less. At home, the lowest ratio we have has been 0.71 in the first game. In both road games, we have a ratio of 0.48. Less ball movement is going to likely lead to tougher shots and tougher shots will have a lower percentage.

Move the damn ball!

One big issue I have noticed is we do not move the ball well on the road, and I think that's the biggest factor in our shooting struggles on the road. In both away games we have had a assist:turnover ratio of 0.5 or less. At home, the lowest ratio we have has been 0.71 in the first game. In both road games, we have a ratio of 0.48. Less ball movement is going to likely lead to tougher shots and tougher shots will have a lower percentage.

Move the damn ball!

Do we have a guard that you trust attacking the rim? Teams are not respecting our ability to score off the dribble. Georgia gave very little space to shoot jump shots, daring the Buffs to beat someone off the dribble and make something happen. We couldn't.

Do we have a guard that you trust attacking the rim? Teams are not respecting our ability to score off the dribble. Georgia gave very little space to shoot jump shots, daring the Buffs to beat someone off the dribble and make something happen. We couldn't.
I trust Ski attacking the rim, Hopkins is a guy who could develop that over the year, but he's not a good free throw shooter so that's an issue. I agree with CVille, we don't have an established point guard and I think that has killed us offensively on the road with ball movement, because we don't turn the ball over any more on the road than we do at home. I think Dom is that guy, but it's unrealistic to expect that out of him this early.

silver lining: I didn't see us leaving Georgia wide open for the 3 as much I've seen in previous games.

Have to lower expectations. Haven't had a down year, and this might be it. Can take it as long as you see development, particular from Collier but also from the Sophomores on the roster.

Realistically, it isn't likely Wyoming or Georgia are tournament teams, and barring at least a 2-1 record in Hawaii, the Buffs are going to have to play exceptionally well in conference play to make the tourney

also, first game on the SEC network in any sport that I've given focused viewing to. I realize they're leveraging the capabilities of ESPN, but ****, I thought their camera work and commentary were pretty good. bastards.

Have to lower expectations. Haven't had a down year, and this might be it. Can take it as long as you see development, particular from Collier but also from the Sophomores on the roster.

Realistically, it isn't likely Wyoming or Georgia are tournament teams, and barring at least a 2-1 record in Hawaii, the Buffs are going to have to play exceptionally well in conference play to make the tourney

Actually the Buffs are on track to repeat last season - 20 wins, mid to upper conference position, ncaa tournament with loss in first or (if fortunate) second round. Not an exciting prospect in some ways, but 5 years ago it would have sounded fantastic. The doomsday reports after a loss are routine but not reasonable. This game was overall far better than Wyoming and perhaps an indicator of more competitive road games to come. The frustration is that expectations were for continuing improvement and a plateau has been reached. There are probably ways a coach &/or team can break through to the next elite level, but it's not easy, that's what everyone is trying to do. At this point the talent is pretty much set (except for younger developing players) so it's more of a psychological issue.

Actually the Buffs are on track to repeat last season - 20 wins, mid to upper conference position, ncaa tournament with loss in first or (if fortunate) second round. Not an exciting prospect in some ways, but 5 years ago it would have sounded fantastic. The doomsday reports after a loss are routine but not reasonable. This game was overall far better than Wyoming and perhaps an indicator of more competitive road games to come. The frustration is that expectations were for continuing improvement and a plateau has been reached. There are probably ways a coach &/or team can break through to the next elite level, but it's not easy, that's what everyone is trying to do. At this point the talent is pretty much set (except for younger developing players) so it's more of a psychological issue.

Not even close to last year. Our two OOC losses last year were Baylor and OKC and both games were fairly close from what I remember. We beat Harvard and Kansas art home and CSU on the road. We used that to propel ourselves to the dance after our collapse.

From what I have seen from this team, we will be very lucky to escape with only 3 loses in non conference play and the Pac 12 is not sending 5 teams to the dance, so we are not as strong there.

I'm enjoying our new uptempo offense. :thumbsup:

George must be sayin.... WTF?

GEO displayed much more intensity at both ends. CU Baffling team. Small at guard, but soft D and struggling shooting. Dunno...

Good reminders, the Kansas win especially was big. You make good points Still, I think Tad's program has gained enough respect that 20 wins is the main criteria to get in. There would be some significant conference wins in that total. Certainly good results in Hawaii would help. I consider CSU a 'given' at home. Also, I continue to view 'the collapse' last year as simply the start of conference play, where half the games are on the road. We'll soon see - the team is almost the same as last year's, excepting of course Spencer's input to the Kansas win.

Back