What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2014 Colorado v Arizona Pac12 Tournament Game Thread (Round 3)

Right it is because we scrapped for all the boards and protected the rim.

Give it a rest. I know you're frustrated. But I don't know what you expected tonight. Arizona is a lot better than Colorado this year. It's an especially tough matchup when you're outmanned and both teams play the same style. CU's strengths are matched and trumped by UofA's this year. Spencer was the guy who could tilt that for the Buffs by allowing us to win the guard battle. But we don't have Spencer any more. Buffs might be a Sweet 16 team, but Arizona would beat us 95 times out of 100.

Yeesh. Guys. Arizona is the best team in the country. We were on our 3rd game in 3 days (byes matter). We improved our seed this week, a loss to Arizona does nothing negative to our seed.

A team with few scoring options (as well as being one of the youngest teams in the nation) vs. a team that is #1 in fewest points per 100 possessions. Sounds like a great matchup to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know that Arizona doesn't start a single senior. Sure let's keep using youth as an excuse.

Give it a rest. I know you're frustrated. But I don't know what you expected tonight. Arizona is a lot better than Colorado this year. It's an especially tough matchup when you're outmanned and both teams play the same style. CU's strengths are matched and trumped by UofA's this year. Spencer was the guy who could tilt that for the Buffs by allowing us to win the guard battle. But we don't have Spencer any more. Buffs might be a Sweet 16 team, but Arizona would beat us 95 times out of 100.

Look I expected to get rolled tonight but I saw a lack of effort again tonight. I keep seeing guys on the team that love basketball but don't love to win. I want to see guys scrap and fight for every board and every loose ball.

Booker is turning into my favorite player because the kid has so much heart. He is absolutely fearless and fights to get to the rim on offense and works his ass off on defense.

You know that Arizona doesn't start a single senior. Sure let's keep using youth as an excuse.
8c6bf14afeb32929703d7d25e57cb6d3f0f0382cf0987613544b07cc7026e9e1.jpg

Is Utah soft as well? I mean, they lost by 32 yesterday. It seems like you're a big fan of small sample sizes so surely you'll only look at one game since that's what you seem to be doing here.

Look I expected to get rolled tonight but I saw a lack of effort again tonight. I keep seeing guys on the team that love basketball but don't love to win. I want to see guys scrap and fight for every board and every loose ball.

Booker is turning into my favorite player because the kid has so much heart. He is absolutely fearless and fights to get to the rim on offense and works his ass off on defense.

You're seeing something that I'm not sure anyone else is.

Ski, as you said, played like you'd expect from the only upperclassman who got minutes. But I can't think of a single guy I could call out for effort tonight. Closest would be Wes, but that was more a matter of foul trouble that took him out of his game.

What I think you saw was fresh legs versus tired legs and you are misinterpreting that as effort. Buff fought hard tonight.

Probably you are all well aware, but that is the 4th lowest point total AZ has scored this year. 60 twice on the road and they lost one. We are coming along nicely. Offense is confidence, and AZ has a great ability to shake that. Tourney is gonna be here soon and I bet we are a handful :).

Last edited:
Probably you are all well aware, but that is the 4th lowest point total AZ has scored this year. 60 twice on the road and thy lost one. We are coming along nicely. Offense is confidence, and AZ has a great ability to shake that. Tourney is gonna be here soon and I bet we are a handful :).

:nod:

Unfortunately, we just don't have much margin for error. 2012 Dance type team. More athletic, but doesn't have the veteran savvy we had with Carlon, Austin and Nate. We could make the Sweet 16 with the right draw.

Tonight's outcome did not show the progression and heart I was expecting.

Arizona was not going to be denied in the second half. Miller has the cats rolling. Congrats to them. Nick Johnson showed why he is conference MVP.

Back to film study.

8c6bf14afeb32929703d7d25e57cb6d3f0f0382cf0987613544b07cc7026e9e1.jpg

Is Utah soft as well? I mean, they lost by 32 yesterday. It seems like you're a big fan of small sample sizes so surely you'll only look at one game since that's what you seem to be doing here.

Sorry I didn't watch your other team play.

You're seeing something that I'm not sure anyone else is.

Ski, as you said, played like you'd expect from the only upperclassman who got minutes. But I can't think of a single guy I could call out for effort tonight. Closest would be Wes, but that was more a matter of foul trouble that took him out of his game.

What I think you saw was fresh legs versus tired legs and you are misinterpreting that as effort. Buff fought hard tonight.

I hope it was tired legs but I feel like it is a 50-50 ball stat. Your guy versus their guy both fighting for the ball whoever wants it more gets it. I felt like we gave up in the 2 and half once they made a few ****s and we didn't. We were slower to rotate a bit slower fighting off screens. I think if we score points we dig deep and fight for those possessions.

I think CU's run in 2012 created some misperceptions amongst Buff fans. Byes are a BIG ****ing deal in conference tournaments. It hits you in the semifinal second half if you've been playing for 3 games. We ran out of gas against Cal and Arizona in 2012 and held on for dear life. With the conference now being so much better, that was never an option for us against an Arizona squad that's best in the nation.

Damn, guess my expectations are so low. Arizona is so much better than us, I was stoked the Buffs gave then a game. And definitely saw effort. This team has done a lot of growing up.

From phone

Congrats to Adam (Pachoops), Air-Zona, and the couple of other "good" UofA posters we have here ... you have a great team that should do very well in the Dance. I hope we can grow our program to the point that we can give you some serious competition (again) in the near future. Good luck!

I think this game should help Colorado immensely in their next game. Like everyone has said, Arizona is at least one of the top 2 teams in the country.

Thanks for all the kind comments about Arizona. You guys had me worried in the first half. I think it's true that the Buffs were gassed from having played two tough games the two previous days. Glad to get out of this one with the W. Had Colorado been rested, I don't think it would have been a blow out.

One last thought and I don't mean to rub salt in the wound but Godon's block of XJ was the kind of thing one has to admire no matter what team you root for. After seeing that, I felt like I had just witnessed something rare and special like a triple play or a hole in one. In hoops terms, what would come close? Maybe a triple double.

Thanks for all the kind comments about Arizona. You guys had me worried in the first half. I think it's true that the Buffs were gassed from having played two tough games the two previous days. Glad to get out of this one with the W. Had Colorado been rested, I don't think it would have been a blow out.

One last thought and I don't mean to rub salt in the wound but Godon's block of XJ was the kind of thing one has to admire no matter what team you root for. After seeing that, I felt like I had just witnessed something rare and special like a triple play or a hole in one. In hoops terms, what would come close? Maybe a triple double.

Man, I don't know. That was sick. XJ was going for it with bad intentions too. Gordon got smacked in the face with the off hand and still was able to control the play. Probably the best defensive play I've seen this year.

Also, now that I've seen Gordon a few times I'm thinking I'd take him over the other hyped freshman. I like him better than Parker, Wiggins or Randle. Defensively he's reminding me of Joakim Noah, but he's got a high level Point Forward game to go with it on offense. Special, special player.

Man, I don't know. That was sick. XJ was going for it with bad intentions too. Gordon got smacked in the face with the off hand and still was able to control the play. Probably the best defensive play I've seen this year.

Also, now that I've seen Gordon a few times I'm thinking I'd take him over the other hyped freshman. I like him better than Parker, Wiggins or Randle. Defensively he's reminding me of Joakim Noah, but he's got a high level Point Forward game to go with it on offense. Special, special player.

Hey thanks. Yeah, Gordon's a big part of what makes this team special. The offense isn't always there but the defense is off the charts. He can guard anyone, one through five. He's smart with the ball and has a great handle. Offensive rebounding's a real strength but he can get pushed around on the D glass sometimes. Needs to keep developing his body, particularly his legs. I think that would help with the shot too because his form's not bad.

No question we're going to miss him next year. Miller will have to recruit at a very high level to maintain this kind of excellence.

Boyle's an excellent coach. I think he, Miller and Krystowiak are (in no particular order) the three best coaches in the Pac-12. At one time I would have placed Monty at the top of the heap too but I think he's lost something in the last couple of years.

Monty's the best in the conference if the question is "which coach would you have draw up a play to get you a good shot?". Absolute master at situational game management. He's close to retirement, though.

Anyway, you named my favorite 3. It used to be 4, but something took a wrong turn with Romar when he brought Wroten in and had Hikeem Stewart wash out from that 2011 class. Amazing how that class was supposed to solidify them as a top program but it ended up gutting things.

Monty's the best in the conference if the question is "which coach would you have draw up a play to get you a good shot?". Absolute master at situational game management. He's close to retirement, though.

Anyway, you named my favorite 3. It used to be 4, but something took a wrong turn with Romar when he brought Wroten in and had Hikeem Stewart wash out from that 2011 class. Amazing how that class was supposed to solidify them as a top program but it ended up gutting things.

Romar needs to get out. He should have seen it coming a year or two ago when his stock was higher. I know he played at UW and has a love for the program, but things have been stale for a while and he needed to pull a Sendek and find a new start somewhere. He still can, but this year didn't do him any favors.

I wasn't near my computer for this game or I would've flipped it over in frustration from not being able to buy a bucket. So this may have been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but I'm tired of seeing offensive plays where Josh Scott spends 20 seconds of the shot clock at the top of the 3-point line.

I thought those NJ slams were insane. Do you guys think he is leaving after this year?

NBA mock drafts suck but I looked at a couple and they had him in the mid 2nd round

I wasn't near my computer for this game or I would've flipped it over in frustration from not being able to buy a bucket. So this may have been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but I'm tired of seeing offensive plays where Josh Scott spends 20 seconds of the shot clock at the top of the 3-point line.

Just an observation, but the Buffs treat shooting the ball as though it's a necessary evil. Booker excepted.

:nod:

Unfortunately, we just don't have much margin for error. 2012 Dance type team. More athletic, but doesn't have the veteran savvy we had with Carlon, Austin and Nate. We could make the Sweet 16 with the right draw.
Yep or we could get bounced in the first round with the wrong matchup. A lot of this just comes down to how the chips fall especially when you're not a top seed.

Back