What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 All-in-One Assistant Coaches Compendium Thread - hagan in, bernardi to te, adams ol -

Clark, Adams and Walters

Honestly, that's pretty normal attrition. The problem isn't the turnover in assistants, it's that they aren't leaving for promotions. And that's pretty damning in terms of MacIntyre's initial staff.

Correct. I gotta say, four changes would surprise me. Hard not to be excited about potential upgrading the staff at up to six different positions over a two-year period though.

What are the prospects for getting quality assistants to CU? There will be a lot guys on the streets with all the changes but there will also be a lot of openings to fill.

Considering the perception may be that MacIntyre could be a dead man walking there may not be viewed as the best opportunity. But Norm Chow is available for OC.

If we take a step back for a second, we can remember where the bar is set.

All MacIntyre is being asked to do here is upgrade from the coaching and recruiting resumes of Neinas, Bernardi, Lindgren and maybe Jeffcoat.

That's a low bar, man.

If we take a step back for a second, we can remember where the bar is set.

All MacIntyre is being asked to do here is upgrade from the coaching and recruiting resumes of Neinas, Bernardi, Lindgren and maybe Jeffcoat.

That's a low bar, man.

Correct.

Will the fact Mac is on various hot seat lists deter good coaches from making the jump to Boulder?

it is pretty clear that they have to shake things up. bring in some p5 level recruiters. the only one on the list that would surprise me would be lindgren. but, when you have a hc who knows he is coaching for his job next year, he has to act boldly.
It seems like there might be some competing requirements. If MacIntyre is coaching for his job next year then bringing in assistants who are really good recruiters won't necessarily save him. He has to get people in who can work effectively with the talent we have to get some wins. I know that the skills aren't mutually exclusive but it'll be curious which way he goes if he is forced to chose one over the other.

As nik points out, the bar isn't set very high.

USC: Don’t be surprised if Clay Helton makes several staff changes after the season, especially on the defensive side of the ball. LINK

If that means that Chris Wilson becomes available, then that's an upgrade from Jeffcoat that would tip me from being 50/50.

Neinas has been ****ty for his entire career at CU. Is Mike just now realizing this? Why wasn't he replaced last year? He was a more obvious deficiency than even Baer, yet he was retained. Im not getting my hopes up about any staff changes.

Neinas has been ****ty for his entire career at CU. Is Mike just now realizing this? Why wasn't he replaced last year? He was a more obvious deficiency than even Baer, yet he was retained. Im not getting my hopes up about any staff changes.
Better late than never.... nah nevermind

USC: Don’t be surprised if Clay Helton makes several staff changes after the season, especially on the defensive side of the ball. LINK

If that means that Chris Wilson becomes available, then that's an upgrade from Jeffcoat that would tip me from being 50/50.
Was Chris Wilson a good recruiter when he was here before? Im honestly asking. Tyler brayton and Justin Bannan were recruited by Neuheisel, and brandon nicolas and gabe nyunhuis were transfers, so that leaves george hypolite and matt mcchesney in 7 years, as far as standouts go. Am I missing anybody?

Just thinking out loud here - but how much of the 10 ppg drop in scoring this year can be attributed to the fact that opposing teams actually had their starters in for the second half of games this year as opposed to last year when Oregon pulled their guys in the 2nd quarter?

I only make irrational decisions based on my selective, ****ty memory or wikipedia. FACT.

Was Chris Wilson a good recruiter when he was here before? Im honestly asking. Tyler brayton and Justin Bannan were recruited by Neuheisel, and brandon nicolas and gabe nyunhuis were transfers, so that leaves george hypolite and matt mcchesney in 7 years, as far as standouts go. Am I missing anybody?

iirc, he recruited OK, TX and LA. I remember us recruiting well in those areas back in the early 2000s.

Updated wish list, in order of who needs to go.

Neinas: Need someone who is a recruiter first but also has experience coaching special teams. Mike Haywood fits the bill as a RB coach, as does Jamie Christian who has coached RB and TE separately. Darrin Chiaverini is a rising talent as an assistant who would in theory be our TE or inside receivers coach. With the potential our running backs showed I'm fine with having Klayton Adams stay with that group.

Bernardi: Like Barnett, Bernardi still has some fire and knowledge to impart but the game seems to have passed him by. Recruiting is what it's all about now. This list is venturing into dangerous territory suggesting replacements who have Buff connections, but understanding what it takes to recruit to Boulder and succeed is good knowledge to have on staff. Gives us a Poly-familiar recruiter which is essential in Pac-12 recruiting battles. Other coaches in the G5 conferences younger than Bernardi with some P5 experience include Spencer Leftwich at UTEP and Matt Moore at Troy who have both coached in Texas and within the Pac-12 footprint. Both their current teams are in the top 50 in fewest sacks allowed. I'm not okay with Adams moving over to OL as I thought could work before. Need more experience and intensity there and with his existing rapport with other position groups that need less improvement he would be a stabilizing presence among the coaching upheaval.

Lindgren: On the fence about whether he stays or goes. Playcalling was limited with a bad line this year but he's also called some good first halves before things stalled and talent got the best of the team. QB development suspect. MacIntyre of course could go with a safe hire and bring Kurt Roper in. I'd like to see Mick McCall work with CU QBs.

Jeffcoat: Is a decent coach. This will really come down Mac sitting down with him and discussing expectations for recruiting. I don't think Jeffcoat has the energy to get moving on the recruiting trail and if this outweighs what he brings to coaching up the line then he should find a landing spot in the NFL next year. Chris Wilson is the safe hire to replace him. Understands CU and is good friends with many former players and coaches, the Embrees too so if we're looking to smooth over that Forever Buffs relationship Wilson is good with them. Has good reviews from his last stint her and previously coached in the SEC before settling in Southern California. All positive for recruiting. Joe Seumalo always coached tough lines that competed above their star rankings at Oregon State. That's another big upgrade who could get a raise from coaching at a G5.

There are some knowledgeable posters on other sites who basically say it is a foregone conclusion that changes will be made.

There are some knowledgeable posters on other sites who basically say it is a foregone conclusion that changes will be made.

Yep. I think we just need to try to be patient on this and expect it to play out a lot like last year. I'd like to see it happen faster, though, to get recruiters on the trail in January.

Yep. I think we just need to try to be patient on this and expect it to play out a lot like last year. I'd like to see it happen faster, though, to get recruiters on the trail in January.

It needs to happen faster than last year, but yeah, it will likely be a while before any news breaks.

It needs to happen faster than last year, but yeah, it will likely be a while before any news breaks.

With the recruiting class nearly full Mac may be looking to take his time and make the right hire while trusting the staff he is keeping to pull their weight on the recruiting trail. I just hope all the Juco ILBs and OLs we need to be targeting to fill those few remaning spots aren't snatched up by the time we hire all these bright shiny new coaches.

after last year, I'm not criticizing how this staff hires its replacement assistants. We all thought the sky was falling and it turned out pretty good.

If it doesn't go as long last year we probably don't get tumpkin who has been our best recruiter this period so far landing Huntley and julmisse so can't be too mad. Definitely would have been nice to see if leavitt could have landed someone with a couple weeks to go before signing day though.

If a new OC and ST coord can make a similar turnaround to Leavitt, Mac will have saved his job. The only reason I'll have much hope for next season is getting rid of this dead weight.

after last year, I'm not criticizing how this staff hires its replacement assistants. We all thought the sky was falling and it turned out pretty good.

Simple fact is that there are way more coaches out there than jobs. If you have good ones you want to keep them but if they are average or below a good hire will usually be an upgrade.

Look at all the staffs that are out of work due to coaches being fired. Look for talent in a guy who is currently a position coach looking to move up to coordinator. Look at guys doing excellent jobs at G5 schools or even at an FCS.

We're ultra sensitive to it right now, but the lack of multi year contracts have always played a factor in how CU coaches handle making changes to their staff.

On Chris Wilson. CU fans couldn't wait to get rid of him b/c he couldn't recruit. Of course the second he went to Oklahoma, he started landing 4 and 5 star DL recruits. Go figure.

Far less important job than Baer - you deal with scrubs on your team if what they do isnt important. It meant more to the team to nail the Leavitt hire than it did to get anywhere with Toby so he skated by - management triage. Will be the same this year - if we have to go all-in on replacing 1 coach in lindgren its worth more to get that right than worry about Toby/Jeffcoat.

Far less important job than Baer - you deal with scrubs on your team if what they do isnt important. It meant more to the team to nail the Leavitt hire than it did to get anywhere with Toby so he skated by - management triage. Will be the same this year - if we have to go all-in on replacing 1 coach in lindgren its worth more to get that right than worry about Toby/Jeffcoat.
I'm sorry but you're nuts. How many missed fgs do you need to see before you decide that ST is pretty ****ing important?

I think its pretty telling on who we have on the road recruiting at this point in time that we know of. We haven't heard anything regarding the 4 above. Probably a good assumption on yours or Howell's part if it is true.
Not sure we ever heard from those 4.
Are we hearing anything from Jim Leavitt?

Back