What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 All-in-One Assistant Coaches Compendium Thread - hagan in, bernardi to te, adams ol -

Really do not see any changes coming on this front. MM and RG going to rock steady and put up or shut up next season. #nochangescoming

Agreed. This topic has been covered in many threads but there are no major changes coming. No assistant coach, worth anything, is going to come to CU for what could be one season. Not a good career move.

Agreed. This topic has been covered in many threads but there are no major changes coming. No assistant coach, worth anything, is going to come to CU for what could be one season. Not a good career move.
I used to buy this narrative too, and for high profile assistants it may be correct. However, coaching in college football (especially for assistants) is largely a year-to-year proposition anyways. There are plenty of really good, young, energetic, position coaches out there that would jump at a Pac 12 opportunity, even if it's just for a year or two.

I used to buy this narrative too, and for high profile assistants it may be correct. However, coaching in college football (especially for assistants) is largely a year-to-year proposition anyways. There are plenty of really good, young, energetic, position coaches out there that would jump at a Pac 12 opportunity, even if it's just for a year or two.
Probably so, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for another Leavitt-type hire. I suspect any changes we make will be for young, up-and-comer types that won't be as exciting, but will incrementally improve the staff.

Probably so, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for another Leavitt-type hire. I suspect any changes we make will be for young, up-and-comer types that won't be as exciting, but will incrementally improve the staff.
I agree, and I also think this is why MM was never going to be fired after this season, regardless of outcome. I just can't believe a fairly successful, high profile guy like Leavitt would agree to take over the worst FBS defense without some assurance that he would have the opportunity to see it through for more than one season.

Well, if we want a recruiter on the OL for TX and CA it's very possible that Adrian Klemm will be available. UCLA suspended him twice because he may not strictly follow the NCAA guidelines, but he gets dudes.
Klemm is just the type of recruiter we need. I'd do a back flip if we signed him. No I couldn't do a back flip; but, I would want to.
Have you heard anything about him wanting to leave Ucla?

Rick George is going to have a sit down with Mike MacIntyre. He is going to be honest and MacIntyre has to know it is the case based off what he has said. Winning keeps your job in college football. MacIntyre will be replaced this off-season if there is a definite upgrade (Richt, Miles if he would have been fired, etc.) but I don't expect that, so RG will say, win or else. RG knows football and has advisors I am sure. He will say something like, "You are the head coach, you choose your guys but there are deficiencies at the following areas... based off what I see. You need to make changes. It's tough firing friends, but sometimes you have to!"

Let's all keep this in perspective, MM had Brian Lindgren as OC for one year before he came to CU. It's not like he has to be tied to him. Utah improved by getting rid of their coordinators. CU did so by getting rid of their DC, may need to do the same for OC. That said, I think Lindgren loves Montez and will show everything he can that if we roll with Montez, we win! He is limited with Sefo. Sefo is a nice back-up or a good non-P5 starter or maybe a team that can protect him like an SEC team. Not a good fit with our team.

I think Lindgren limited his own playbook to cover up for known deficiencies with his quarterback(s). He didn't call screens and quick crossing routes with Sefo because... well I don't know exactly why, but as soon as Apsay was starting those plays were magically back in the playbook.

I have wondered that all year. Hawaii came all-out, every-down with the blitz and we had no answer. I kept asking for the screen, which was a big component a few years ago under Lindgren (was that Sefo or pre-Sefo?). I sort of figured it had to do with mobility of OL or something else. But Apsay ran it really well vs Utah..... Odd.

Probably difficult to make a big-name hire in year 4 given the situation, but plenty of top notch guys are always available for that. Leach made a hire in same situation last year that looked sort of blah on paper (Safety coach from Mizzou taking over as DC). Turned out to be one of the best hires of the year.

Quality hires/upgrades can be made. No need to downplay the possibilities before they even happen.

Quality hires/upgrades can be made. No need to downplay the possibilities before they even happen.

I agree he can upgrade. Enough to save his a$$? Doubt it.

If MM would have brought in people like JL when he took the job it might have been a different outcome. Instead he brought a MWC staff and the results show.

After watching bedlam last week, the biggest difference between CU and those teams (and there were lots of differences, don't get me wrong) is the performance of those OLs. Yea, the other team would get pressure every so often, or would stuff the run... but you just never saw the consistent jail break that you saw all year. You can't run an offense if your OL will let guys through up the gut and around the side every play. Something needs to change on the OL. I really hope Bernardi is out the door 2 seconds after Neinas.

After watching bedlam last week, the biggest difference between CU and those teams (and there were lots of differences, don't get me wrong) is the performance of those OLs. Yea, the other team would get pressure every so often, or would stuff the run... but you just never saw the consistent jail break that you saw all year. You can't run an offense if your OL will let guys through up the gut and around the side every play. Something needs to change on the OL. I really hope Bernardi is out the door 2 seconds after Neinas.

Yep. Your only chance with OL problems is if you've got a QB who makes things happen when things break down. Great example is Oklahoma this year. They started 2 freshmen at OT this year. Baker Mayfield overcame the protection issues -- especially early in the season -- allowing those guys to settle in and develop as good run blockers that ended up taking pressure off the pass game and make that an excellent offense by the end of the year. November Oklahoma would destroy September Oklahoma.

We're not going to have a Baker Mayfield next year. We may have a freshman who can scoot but will make some dumb plays like holding the ball too long or getting happy feet and scrambling into pressure. Or an inexperienced sophomore who isn't built to take a beating. Or a senior who isn't all that mobile and is coming off injury. Every one of those scenarios requires an OL that can be trusted to get its job done from day one. I've seen nothing to suggest that the improvements we need will happen with Bernardi on the job.

There are ways to help one guy on the OL with a TE chipping or a RB but not multiple breakdowns at same time. Just take a look at the Broncos OL pass blocking last night, horrible. Delayed blitz up the middle killed then over and over again. Want to believe better coaching will help CU's OL and it isn't all just a lack of talent.

something will happen...rg is a smart man...he knows attendence will go further south next year without change I know my 6 season tickets are at best a 50-50 renewal
Changing an assistant or two (especially OL and/or ST) isn't really going to affect season ticket renewals or generate enough excitement to get more people in the seats. MacIntyre needs to make changes because what he is doing isn't working. If he can't see that without Rick's help then we're just passing time until he's done.

Changing an assistant or two (especially OL and/or ST) isn't really going to affect season ticket renewals or generate enough excitement to get more people in the seats. MacIntyre needs to make changes because what he is doing isn't working. If he can't see that without Rick's help then we're just passing time until he's done.
I give Mac enough credit to be pretty certain he knows what the issues are with his staff without anyone's help.

I just saw this suggestion on Rivals -- was really surprised -- and then came around to it.

RB Coach & Special Teams Coordinator: Mike Haywood

Coaching Career
1988... Minnesota (GA)
1989-90... Army (DB/DE/ST)
1991-92... Ohio (OLB/ST)
1993-94... Ball State (WR/RB/ST)
1995-02... LSU (RB/ST)
2003-04... Texas (RB/ST)
2005-08... Notre Dame (OC/RB)
2009-10... Miami-OH (HC)

Played for Notre Dame in college. From Houston.

At Miami-OH, went 1-11 his first year and followed it up by winning the MAC title in year two. (They were 2-10 the year before he got there.) Was hired for the Pitt HC job, but then was arrested for domestic violence. The case/charges have since been dismissed, he's working in the oil industry in Houston, and he wants to get back into coaching.

Isn't CU in a position where it needs to take a risk on a guy like Haywood? 5 years out of coaching with charges dismissed, no further incidents, and counseling might be enough to give the guy a second chance. He'd be a great hire if CU was willing to take some political heat.

I just saw this suggestion on Rivals -- was really surprised -- and then came around to it.

Coaching Career
1988... Minnesota (GA)
1991-92... Ohio (OLB/ST)
1995-02... LSU (RB/ST)
2003-04... Texas (RB/ST)
2009-10... Miami-OH (HC)

At Miami-OH, went 1-11 his first year and followed it up by winning the MAC title in year two. (They were 2-10 the year before he got there.) Was hired for the Pitt HC job, but then was arrested for domestic violence. The case/charges have since been dismissed, he's working in the oil industry in Houston, and he wants to get back into coaching.

Isn't CU in a position where it needs to take a risk on a guy like Haywood? 5 years out of coaching with charges dismissed, no further incidents, and counseling might be enough to give the guy a second chance. He'd be a great hire if CU was willing to take some political heat.
I see no reason not to, iirc, he was a decent recruiter. CU needs a talent infusion, (like everybody doesn't already know that), and it would seem to me adding two or three AC's with a knack for getting quality players is a must.

Haywood sounds like Leavitt 2.0, but with more baggage and less accomplishments. Sure. Love him on the staff (need to know more before I would want him as mroe than a position coach)

I don't think they announce times to fire people.

That makes sense. I've been reading about plenty of other schools who've fired assistant, but that information is probably not coming from the school in a press release. I wonder when we'll find out about staff firings.

That makes sense. I've been reading about plenty of other schools who've fired assistant, but that information is probably not coming from the school in a press release. I wonder when we'll find out about staff firings.
I thought you were an insider? This post (and the last one) doesn't make sense. Unless you are trolling. Which you are, of course. But as has been said elsewhere, HCMM is a good man, just like Mac the first. He won't throw his guys under a bus.

Coaching Career
1988... Minnesota (GA)
1991-92... Ohio (OLB/ST)
1995-02... LSU (RB/ST)
2003-04... Texas (RB/ST)
2009-10... Miami-OH (HC)

I like this hire. He has baggage from a long time ago. If he is vetted well and MMac says ok. He could help recruiting. He is not the face of the program so the risk is not huge. Move Adams to ot & TE add Klemm for OL and recruit SoCal. And bring in Seumalo for DL and recruit SoCal and poly.

Back