What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 All-in-One Assistant Coaches Compendium Thread - hagan in, bernardi to te, adams ol -

Walters has been an interesting case this year he hasn't hit the headlines recruiting for us the way he has in the past, not sure if that is a reflection of reality or just lax reporting.

On the kids from the south east the three Florida kids have been and were most heavily recruited by Tumpkin/Leavitt. The two Georgia players list Charles Clark as their lead recruiter on rivals although I haven't followed that as closely so I am taking Adam's word for it there. So theoretically this move should have no effects on the 4 from the southeast. Taking a quick look at the whole class Walters is listed as the lead recruiter only for Patrick Taylor out of Houston.
Tumpkin/Leavitt/Clark may be the lead recruiters for those guys, but Walters certainly had established a relationship as a position coach for at least Huntley and Rakestraw, if not Uddofia and Julmisse as well.

Generally, the way it works is that each coach has his recruiting geographies along with some activity outside that when they get a lead from someone in their network of relationships. Then, once strong interest and communication is established with the recruit, they bring in MacIntyre and their CU position coach to the recruitment.

Tumpkin/Leavitt/Clark may be the lead recruiters for those guys, but Walters certainly had established a relationship as a position coach for at least Huntley and Rakestraw, if not Uddofia and Julmisse as well.

Hence my note about if it was a change in reporting or if a true change, interesting looking at some of those players twitter accounts interactions with Walters are limited, but then again Walters twitter work this year is not as prolific as it was in years past.

Huntley and Julmisse were definitely bummed about Walters, they had a tweet saying that one hurt but there are other coaches they have established relationships with.

Regarding multi-year contracts, I thought that professors were just put on tenure. I wasn't aware that there were multi-year contract exceptions from our state legislature.

Guess we put the wrong feel good back to the future throwback CU guy as HC. I mean, he couldn't have been worse than Embree, right?

Small threadjack here, apologies...

I don't remember the exact specifics, but we all know that the number of multi-year contracts is very limited (next year is an election year - if you happen to talk to a candidate for state legislator, you should bring this up - it's a stupid rule and as a whole it probably harms more than helps all of the universities in the state). CU uses theirs on:
  • The President
  • Some of the Nobel-prize winning professors
  • I think some of the Chancellors, but I'm not sure
  • Athletics
    • The AD
    • The Men's and Women's head Basketball Coaches
    • The head Football Coach
    • One of the Football Coordinators
Does the lack of multi-year contracts harm the ability to hire good coaches? Probably. I think the AD does what it can to minimize the negatives (handshake agreements, giving coaches several months notice that they're going to be fired before firing them, etc), and this probably does alleviate some of the concerns, but definitely not all. It also means that we probably have to overpay by some non-quantifiable amount for every assistant (which, incidentally ends up achieving exactly the opposite of the legislature's intent: it increases costs rather than decreasing them).

Outside of football, how do you think it harms the school's ability to hire quality head coaches? What happens when Wetmore retires? What if Nike U decides to give him whatever absurd amount he would demand to hire him? What if we ever decide to get a baseball team? What if Kritza's replacement turns out to be the Pat Summitt of women's college volleyball, and Stanford comes calling?

On the academic side (including the CU Health Center research doctors), in addition to the Nobel prize winners, there are probably quite a few other prize winning professors that it would be a good idea to reward with multi-year contracts. It would definitely help to be able to hire them in the future as well.

A hard limit on the number of multi-year contracts for the state universities is just stupid. It's one of the absolute dumbest ideas the politicians in Denver ever came up with. Create a legal set of standards that need to be met in order to justify a multi-year contract - that'd be fine, but a hard number limit is full on retard.

Seriously, if you talk to a state politician this election year, you really should bring this up. It would be a good thing to get fixed (and it just might help the football team win someday).

Full professors are on tenure and cannot be fired except after a lengthy process for a limited number of reasons.

I thought this post must be missing the sarcasm font, then I saw this: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14279278/10-names-next-line-nfl-head-coaches-nfl. Happy that EB was able to rise so quickly after the debacle here.

I was surprised by that as well but it would be nice to have some of our fans stop calling CU a coaching graveyard. We've now got a former OC in charge at Oregon, Hawkins got another job that pretty much proved he was the issue, JE immediately got re-hired at the level he was at before this gig, the weasel ****ed you 2 other P5 programs, and now we are talking about EB getting a big time shot.

Whether by luck, the simple passage of time, sheer stupidity of Canadian owners, or by the work of RG - it is nice to see some of these black marks on the program slowly wash away.

Full professors are on tenure and cannot be fired except after a lengthy process for a limited number of reasons.
Still hurts recruiting and retainment on the academic side. It takes time to earn tenure, even if you're a mid-career professor with tenure at another school, pretty sure it can't be given on day one. (This also ignores the many non-tenure academic positions and administrative positions.)

More importantly, multi-year contracts don't just benefit the individual, they benefit the institution by putting a price on someone's leaving. If an annually contracted, but tenured, CU Professor becomes finalist for a Fields Medal or Nobel Prize, it sure would be nice to have her signed to a longer term contract that says if MIT comes a calling that they'd have to pay CU a buyout if they want to hire her away. Or, a more concrete example: wouldn't it be nice right now if UCF had to throw a couple hundred thousand CU's way in order to hire Walters?

I'll believe it when I see it. Seems like a stretch for an NFL team to hire a career RB coach who had two ugly years as an OC, to run the whole thing.

According to the articles published when Kritza was hired she WAS on a multi-year contract. Do you know when that changed?

I just realized my source is Howell, so now I'm not certain.

Would it be legal to hire certain coaches on a year to year basis at a standard salary, say $60.,000 a year and also have them signed to a multi-year contract with an outside organization that voluntarily places itself under the oversight of the university but funds the salaries with outside donations.

Contracts would be written in such a way to make them void if the coach didn't fulfill their requirements under the university contracts. In addition certain things would be required as consideration such as a number of appearances before alumni groups, signing items for charity, etc. Nothing that would require large expeditures of time but enough to provide a contractual value.

One issue I would see would be that the compensation would be outside of the university benefit system so it wouldn't apply towards pensions, etc. but I don't think that would be big in a highly transiatory occupation.

I have a good friend who is a House Rep in the State Legislature. I brought up the limited amount of multi-year contracts Universities can give with him today. We had a good discussion about it. He's going to kick the tires to find out why it was put into law in the first place, why it remains and what kind of political pressure would be against getting the law off the books. He's only one guy but he liked the idea on the surface of doing away with it.

He wants me to put in email all the reasons it is a bad law and should be done away with, so he can forward on to his colleagues. Any recommendations? Remember it can't all be about CU Football, we need to come up with reasons beyond not being able to be as competitive as some in hiring.

Yeah, I agree. Funny how the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

Regarding EB, I think the truth is out there. He's a great RB coach. He's a very motivating coach. He might have made a great ST coordinator in addition to his RB responsibilities here. He might have even been successful as an OC if he'd been under a HC who had OC chops (like the situation Walters is going into). And he might very well be more suited to being a HC than being an OC since he reminds me of a guy like Bill Cowher in terms of coaching style. I can see why he's getting looks for a HC job. Most likely this is the year he gets his name out and as a potential candidate and gets people familiar with him through the interview process, but it takes him another couple/few years before landing a HC job.

I have a good friend who is a House Rep in the State Legislature. I brought up the limited amount of multi-year contracts Universities can give with him today. We had a good discussion about it. He's going to kick the tires to find out why it was put into law in the first place, why it remains and what kind of political pressure would be against getting the law off the books. He's only one guy but he liked the idea on the surface of doing away with it.

Allbuffs: the man behind the curtain orchestrating all things Colorado

:D:eek:

Reactions: SBG
Regarding EB, I think the truth is out there. He's a great RB coach. He's a very motivating coach. He might have made a great ST coordinator in addition to his RB responsibilities here. He might have even been successful as an OC if he'd been under a HC who had OC chops (like the situation Walters is going into). And he might very well be more suited to being a HC than being an OC since he reminds me of a guy like Bill Cowher in terms of coaching style. I can see why he's getting looks for a HC job. Most likely this is the year he gets his name out and as a potential candidate and gets people familiar with him through the interview process, but it takes him another couple/few years before landing a HC job.

I could see that being the case. Les Miles is a good example of probably being a better HC than he would have been a OC. But there's always the possibility that Adam Schefter is just stating an opinion and isn't hearing anything to back it up.

Just think GMs would want more to go on that EBs resume. What he's done under Andy Reid isn't going to set the world on fire. But if someone like Reid himself was promoting him, then yeah, someone might be listening.

Being a pro HC is a different thing than being a college HC. In the pros you normally have a GM to deal with selection and aquisition of talent. You have the threat of cutting a guy to deal with those who don't put out the effort, at least those on the bottom half of the roster.

You also don't have to deal with donors or university administration. If the owner is happy with you the rest isn't that important. Both have press obligations but in the pros that is much more managed for you.

I don't know how EB would do as a pro HC but I wouldn't put much weight on his experience at CU in judging his prospects.

Small threadjack here, apologies...

I don't remember the exact specifics, but we all know that the number of multi-year contracts is very limited (next year is an election year - if you happen to talk to a candidate for state legislator, you should bring this up - it's a stupid rule and as a whole it probably harms more than helps all of the universities in the state). CU uses theirs on:
  • The President
  • Some of the Nobel-prize winning professors
  • I think some of the Chancellors, but I'm not sure
  • Athletics
    • The AD
    • The Men's and Women's head Basketball Coaches
    • The head Football Coach
    • One of the Football Coordinators
Does the lack of multi-year contracts harm the ability to hire good coaches? Probably. I think the AD does what it can to minimize the negatives (handshake agreements, giving coaches several months notice that they're going to be fired before firing them, etc), and this probably does alleviate some of the concerns, but definitely not all. It also means that we probably have to overpay by some non-quantifiable amount for every assistant (which, incidentally ends up achieving exactly the opposite of the legislature's intent: it increases costs rather than decreasing them).

Outside of football, how do you think it harms the school's ability to hire quality head coaches? What happens when Wetmore retires? What if Nike U decides to give him whatever absurd amount he would demand to hire him? What if we ever decide to get a baseball team? What if Kritza's replacement turns out to be the Pat Summitt of women's college volleyball, and Stanford comes calling?

On the academic side (including the CU Health Center research doctors), in addition to the Nobel prize winners, there are probably quite a few other prize winning professors that it would be a good idea to reward with multi-year contracts. It would definitely help to be able to hire them in the future as well.

A hard limit on the number of multi-year contracts for the state universities is just stupid. It's one of the absolute dumbest ideas the politicians in Denver ever came up with. Create a legal set of standards that need to be met in order to justify a multi-year contract - that'd be fine, but a hard number limit is full on retard.

Seriously, if you talk to a state politician this election year, you really should bring this up. It would be a good thing to get fixed (and it just might help the football team win someday).

They are allow 6 Multi year contract. None of them go to academics - they all go to Athletics....five of the six have been used.

Still hurts recruiting and retainment on the academic side. It takes time to earn tenure, even if you're a mid-career professor with tenure at another school, pretty sure it can't be given on day one. (This also ignores the many non-tenure academic positions and administrative positions.)

More importantly, multi-year contracts don't just benefit the individual, they benefit the institution by putting a price on someone's leaving. If an annually contracted, but tenured, CU Professor becomes finalist for a Fields Medal or Nobel Prize, it sure would be nice to have her signed to a longer term contract that says if MIT comes a calling that they'd have to pay CU a buyout if they want to hire her away. Or, a more concrete example: wouldn't it be nice right now if UCF had to throw a couple hundred thousand CU's way in order to hire Walters?

Derail, with apologies: Tenure is generally offered to assistant professors after 6 years if their research is good enough and their teaching evaluations and service are acceptable. At this point (usually) they are simultaneously promoted to associate professor. If they continue doing research instead of becoming deadwood, eventually they will be promoted to full professor.

In normal circumstances, a tenured associate or tenured full professor is hired with tenure when they change institutions (virtually no one would ever change institutions, otherwise). Sometimes even untenured professors are hired by other institutions with tenure (this is done when someone pre-emotively recognizes they won't achieve tenure at their current institution).

How does the following sound?
Chivarini at wr
Levine at STC and tight ends
Klemm at OL
Seumalo at DL
Roper qb and OC
Levine and Chivarini recruit tx (making Jeffcoat expandable)
Klemm and Seumalo and Chivarini recruit so cal with Seumalo also recruiting the islands.
That's a lot of change for one year but it would pay dividends in recruiting. Klemm is really to only reach; but at some point we need to do threat to compete

Back