What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 All-in-One Assistant Coaches Compendium Thread - hagan in, bernardi to te, adams ol -

I really have not had a problem with how our coaches are deployed (TE/RB coach and ST coach). I concur Adams is not the problem and I can't see a RB coach having 1/22nd of the responsibility. But Neinas must be gone. Period.

I'd replace Neinas' spot with McKenzie (grad asst that is coaching LBs), just because I think he need a place on staff. Not sure I'd give him ST's or break that up and have him do LBs. Seems like McKenzie, Clark, Tumpkin would have a lot of input as it's their positional players manning those spots.

Mac can be the head ST coach like KSU does it.

If Mac decides to move on from some assistant coaches this offseason I am confident he will bring in great replacements after last year.

WTF?

excellentadventure.jpg

I feel good about Mac hiring quality replacements. It's being indecisive or loyal regarding current shortcomings that worries me.

I feel good about Mac hiring quality replacements. It's being indecisive or loyal regarding current shortcomings that worries me.

We won't know on that until we see what happens this offseason.

Based on last year, it appears that HCMM is willing to make changes and does so in a way that doesn't bash the coach publicly while doing all he can to help him secure a soft landing place.

I'm fine with announcements that "Coach X has decided to leave CU for the same position at Northern Arizona" as long as it continues to result in Baer-for-Leavitt and LaRussa-for-Tumpkin type upgrades.

MacIntyre hired well after last season, but he did not hire well when he moved to CU. His record is spotty.

MacIntyre hired well after last season, but he did not hire well when he moved to CU. His record is spotty.

He didn't really hire anyone. Walters was a great pickup but obviously nienas was not. 3/4 since he has been at colorado

I really have not had a problem with how our coaches are deployed (TE/RB coach and ST coach). I concur Adams is not the problem and I can't see a RB coach having 1/22nd of the responsibility. But Neinas must be gone. Period.

I'd replace Neinas' spot with McKenzie (grad asst that is coaching LBs), just because I think he need a place on staff. Not sure I'd give him ST's or break that up and have him do LBs. Seems like McKenzie, Clark, Tumpkin would have a lot of input as it's their positional players manning those spots.

Mac can be the head ST coach like KSU does it.

Is there really a need to promote McKenzie right now? Seems you benefit a lot more keeping him in his current role and upgrading elsewhere on the staff.

Need to get serious about So Cal and/or Texas in the next class. No more excuses. Any potential new hires need to bring those recruiting ties.

Is there really a need to promote McKenzie right now? Seems you benefit a lot more keeping him in his current role and upgrading elsewhere on the staff.

Need to get serious about So Cal and/or Texas in the next class. No more excuses. Any potential new hires need to bring those recruiting ties.

I would concede to that. But not sure McKenzie does a second year as a GA.

Wtf? Is this post serious?

Yes it is serious. He obviously decided to bring his staff with him which obviously was a mistake but the people he has brought in have been successful for the most part. Just wish he would have done it sooner. I'm talking about his hires.

Yes it is serious. He obviously decided to bring his staff with him which obviously was a mistake but the people he has brought in have been successful for the most part. Just wish he would have done it sooner. I'm talking about his hires.
You have an odd definition of "successful".

I've got news for you... he hired 7 SJSU coaches in year 1. No one else did that

I don't know why people think there is going to be a big turnover in staff. Last year showed how hard it is to get assistants to CU and it will be tougher now. P5 Assistants that have other options will not want to come here when it is obvious that MacIntyre is probably coaching for job next year. You are going to end up with guys who have few options or guys from lower levels.

I don't know why people think there is going to be a big turnover in staff. Last year showed how hard it is to get assistants to CU and it will be tougher now. P5 Assistants that have other options will not want to come here when it is obvious that MacIntyre is probably coaching for job next year. You are going to end up with guys who have few options or guys from lower levels.

Yep. MM should have taken his original hires a lot more seriously

Based on the length of time the search took, or based on other information you're privy to?

Based on the length of time the search took, or based on other information you're privy to?

Many of their initial choices turned them down - several did not even want to talk. Leavitt was a good hire but he had few options, he was somewhat radioactive on the college front and had lost his NFL job and not getting a lot of offers. Tumpkin was going to be a casualty of Enos leaving CMU and had few options since most teams already filled out their staffs. I know a lot of people on this board like to make Tumpkin as some sort of superstar assistant. I am not convinced that is really the case. When Walters and Neinas were hired both were unemployed. MacIntyre has never gone out and taken a proven coach away from another team.

When MacCartney was HC he had a lot of turnover in his staff but he always knew the type of guys he wanted to bring in and went and got them. Assistants to some extent are reflections of the HC leadership. Look at Saban - he is on like his 4th OC and just keeps winning.

Last edited:
Back