What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 All-in-One Assistant Coaches Compendium Thread - hagan in, bernardi to te, adams ol -

Hokie can probably speak to this better, but pretty sure I heard that Shane Beamer is not being retained at VaTech. No appreciable experience out West, but young RB coach with a solid recruiting reputation, maybe worth a look?

Hokie can probably speak to this better, but pretty sure I heard that Shane Beamer is not being retained at VaTech. No appreciable experience out West, but young RB coach with a solid recruiting reputation, maybe worth a look?

He's yet another head coach's son who had that fanbase crying nepotism. If we're going for a hire of a famous last name it better be someone who either has demonstrated success independent of being on his father's staff or experience recruiting to our footprint. We've got the outliers (Florida, Georgia) established already. Let's get California or as a lesser resort Texas added to the staff. Brennan Carroll fits this better than a Spurrier or Beamer child. A dozen years at USC and Miami doesn't suck. He proved he could do it outside his father's shadow.

He's yet another head coach's son who had that fanbase crying nepotism. If we're going for a hire of a famous last name it better be someone who either has demonstrated success independent of being on his father's staff or experience recruiting to our footprint. We've got the outliers (Florida, Georgia) established already. Let's get California or as a lesser resort Texas added to the staff. Brennan Carroll fits this better than a Spurrier or Beamer child. A dozen years at USC and Miami doesn't suck. He proved he could do it outside his father's shadow.

CU fans seem pretty easy with unearned nepotism the past couple of years.

In general, being a coach's son is a good thing. I like recruits and assistants who grew up in it. It's an advantage that's kind of like the olden days of being an apprentice to a trade as a youth. Usually gives guys a serious leg up on being a solid player or solid assistant coach. Then the cream rises in terms of whether someone's going to ever be a star player or successful HC. On coaches, I think David Shula is a great example. Absolutely fantastic assistant who was horrible as a HC.

In general, being a coach's son is a good thing. I like recruits and assistants who grew up in it. It's an advantage that's kind of like the olden days of being an apprentice to a trade as a youth. Usually gives guys a serious leg up on being a solid player or solid assistant coach. Then the cream rises in terms of whether someone's going to ever be a star player or successful HC. On coaches, I think David Shula is a great example. Absolutely fantastic assistant who was horrible as a HC.

You have to be kidding me. When a son starts out coaching for his dad that is a Red Flag, IMHO. David Shula would not of gotten the opportunities except for his Dad and why do you think he was such a great assistant coach...He was QB coach at the Dolphins when Marino was in his prime - tough duty. He was not spectacular as OC at the Cowboys...he had Troy Aikman at QB, Michael Irwin at WR and Emmit Smith at RB and still had an anemic offense. The Cowboys demoted him from OC to WR coach after which he left for the Bengals to be WR coach. Should of never been named HC. Never got another coaching job after getting fired by the Bengals. He is now back to working for his dad.

You have to be kidding me. When a son starts out coaching for his dad that is a Red Flag, IMHO. David Shula would not of gotten the opportunities except for his Dad and why do you think he was such a great assistant coach...He was QB coach at the Dolphins when Marino was in his prime - tough duty. He was not spectacular as OC at the Cowboys...he had Troy Aikman at QB, Michael Irwin at WR and Emmit Smith at RB and still had an anemic offense. The Cowboys demoted him from OC to WR coach after which he left for the Bengals to be WR coach. Should of never been named HC. Never got another coaching job after getting fired by the Bengals. He is now back to working for his dad.

I am guessing Nik meant Mike Shula.

Ummm, no, troll

You've embraced MacIntyre giving his kid a scholarship. So deflect it on me, I am fine with that.

Actually, Baby Mac is not in and of himself the problem. He is a great representative of the classes recruited under daddy.

You've embraced MacIntyre giving his kid a scholarship. So deflect it on me, I am fine with that.

Actually, Baby Mac is not in and of himself the problem. He is a great representative of the classes recruited under daddy.
So, you admit in point #2 that point #1 (nepotism!!!) was bull****. Hence, troll.

I've been watching how you interact with most posters on this board. I see a pattern that has nothing to do with me.
1. I see you ignored being caught in your bull****, and instead are trying to deflect to make this about something else.
2. I've been watching you interact with this board (oh, and a few others), and I see a pattern that has nothing to do with me.
3. If you want to go somewhere where you won't get called out on your bull****, you are welcome to go back where you came from.

Just being related to a more famous coach is not a red flag. Matt Lubick or Pete Carroll's kid would likely be great additions to the staff, but neither coaches OL.

Just being related to a more famous coach is not a red flag. Matt Lubick or Pete Carroll's kid would likely be great additions to the staff, but neither coaches OL.

Right, unless Adams moves to OL making room for Carroll. Lubick and Carroll are guys who got jobs after working for their old man and kept those jobs on their own merits. I am wary of the Spurrier Jr., Jeff Bowden, Shane Beamer types who have yet to prove they can do it without the benefit of the family name. That's high risk for a head coach who has one season to get it right.

Right, unless Adams moves to OL making room for Carroll. Lubick and Carroll are guys who got jobs after working for their old man and kept those jobs on their own merits. I am wary of the Spurrier Jr., Jeff Bowden, Shane Beamer types who have yet to prove they can do it without the benefit of the family name. That's high risk for a head coach who has one season to get it right.

Fair critiques, though I guess I didn't really see Carroll tearing it up at Miami and he's now back working for pops, so the extent to which he's blazed his own trail is debatable.

Fair critiques, though I guess I didn't really see Carroll tearing it up at Miami and he's now back working for pops, so the extent to which he's blazed his own trail is debatable.

He pulled some really good recruits out of CA for the Canes.

I know I'm spitballing a lot here, but Stacy Searels from VaTech is also presumably looking for work. Coached at Texas, Georgia and LSU previously. Any thoughts on him?

I know I'm spitballing a lot here, but Stacy Searels from VaTech is also presumably looking for work. Coached at Texas, Georgia and LSU previously. Any thoughts on him?

Big time OL coach who has worked in a number of systems at a lot of successful programs. Still pretty young, too.

He would be a great hire. Every year he is credited at rivals for recruiting 3-5 high ranked OL. You should share your idea with MMac.

Quick read of the last page, haven't seen Kendal Briles mentioned. So far he's only worked for dad

Back