What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 All-in-One Assistant Coaches Compendium Thread - hagan in, bernardi to te, adams ol -

When I was at CU. Coach Bill Mac stressed ST. Every coach was responsible for one aspect of ST. There was no dedicated ST coach. If I remember right the ST were pretty solid in those days. Maybe coach Mike Mac needs to stress ST a lot more and follow the Mac1 plan.

Then again the 3rd stringers playing STs for those teams would probably on this team.

When I was at CU. Coach Bill Mac stressed ST. Every coach was responsible for one aspect of ST. There was no dedicated ST coach. If I remember right the ST were pretty solid in those days. Maybe coach Mike Mac needs to stress ST a lot more and follow the Mac1 plan.

And special teams are soooo simple. We out think our punt team formation with the "new" formation to help with coverage but it allows more blocks. We apparently don't like to kick the ball out of the back of the end zone because apparently the 25 yard line is too good of field position. It makes no sense.

Meh. Some firings can be very public, but others cannot? It is a stupid policy.

And what's the policy even? Because we've gotten 2 different narratives for this, either MM and CU are just being good guys, or MM doesn't make changes till he knows he can find someone better(we got this one last year). But then neither of these stories matter because they're probably essentially fired behind the scenes anyways, so everyone just needs to calm down. Except it sure didn't seem like the process had gained a lot of ground last year before Baer and LaRussa actually left. I just don't get the bs on this, and it makes me think MM drags his feet in the h/r part of his job.

So let's say you're a head coach on the hot seat - would you have reservations firing an assistant whose father happens to run one of the most prominent coaching placement agencies in the country?

I have no idea if that's a factor (and certainly hope not), and I would hope he's thinking about this season and not potential, future, unemployment, but has to cross his mind, no?

And what's the policy even? Because we've gotten 2 different narratives for this, either MM and CU are just being good guys, or MM doesn't make changes till he knows he can find someone better(we got this one last year). But then neither of these stories matter because they're probably essentially fired behind the scenes anyways, so everyone just needs to calm down. Except it sure didn't seem like the process had gained a lot of ground last year before Baer and LaRussa actually left. I just don't get the bs on this, and it makes me think MM drags his feet in the h/r part of his job.
Just spitballing here because I really don't have any inside information, but maybe the policy is to make decisions within the first week of the offseason and keep any dismissals quiet until the dismissed coach finds a landing spot or CU finds a replacement, whichever happens first. Maybe what happened differently between Baer and LaRussa last year and Foreman this year was that Foreman or someone else leaked it first. However, I don't have any answers as to why that would benefit anyone, most of all Foreman.

And special teams are soooo simple. We out think our punt team formation with the "new" formation to help with coverage but it allows more blocks. We apparently don't like to kick the ball out of the back of the end zone because apparently the 25 yard line is too good of field position. It makes no sense.

^^This^^ It doesn't take a HOF coach to watch the tape and see what we are doing isn't working.

I have heard a lot of very good coaches who understand that if they don't have an answer they find somebody who is doing it right, watch the film, and copy.

What bothers me about Neinas is not so much that we have problems but that the problems never seem to get fixed.

Just spitballing here because I really don't have any inside information, but maybe the policy is to make decisions within the first week of the offseason and keep any dismissals quiet until the dismissed coach finds a landing spot or CU finds a replacement, whichever happens first. Maybe what happened differently between Baer and LaRussa last year and Foreman this year was that Foreman or someone else leaked it first. However, I don't have any answers as to why that would benefit anyone, most of all Foreman.
It is tough to recruit someone to a position when it is still filled. If you let someone go then you can more actively pursue candidates.

Our special team coaching situation is bizarre - most teams don't have a dedicated Special Teams coach -usually it is assigned to a position coach or coaches. When they do has a dedicated ST coach he is usually a super recruiter and most of the time he is the lowest paid guy on the staff. Chip Long at ASU was making $125000 in 2012 while we were paying Neinas $255000. One of my big beefs with MacIntyre is he has not managed his resources very well - CU is over paying for most of the staff. With a little more attention to those things we maybe could of had a better staff and better results recruiting and on the field.

It is tough to recruit someone to a position when it is still filled. If you let someone go then you can more actively pursue candidates.

Our special team coaching situation is bizarre - most teams don't have a dedicated Special Teams coach -usually it is assigned to a position coach or coaches. When they do has a dedicated ST coach he is usually a super recruiter and most of the time he is the lowest paid guy on the staff. Chip Long at ASU was making $125000 in 2012 while we were paying Neinas $255000. One of my big beefs with MacIntyre is he has not managed his resources very well - CU is over paying for most of the staff. With a little more attention to those things we maybe could of had a better staff and better results recruiting and on the field.
I wouldnt have a problem with a st coach that concentrates on st if he were actually good at it. Fixing special teams last year would have got us into a bowl.

We malign this team for years for always being the weaker side in the trenches, and get surprised when S&C is made the fall guy? It's not all his fault, but surely you can see why options other than Forman need to be explored.

I wonder what Chip Long's making now? Wasn't he rumored to be in talks with CU at one point recently? He can certainly out-recruit Neinas. The past 2 classes he's been the lead recruiter on 6 4* commits, including CU targets Kallen Ballage and Jay Jay Wilson. He's got one 4 star this year and is still in the mix for 2 more.

If you could double the guy's salary, one would think he'd at least listen.

That's just criminally corrupt.

Don't string me up, but if we need a new DC, is Lupoi too big a risk? That's the job he allegedly wants (DC) to leave bama.

I remember when we hired Bobby Hauck as our first ST coach. Special teams got worse than when we didn't have a dedicated coach. Maybe there is something to that.

As far as changing strength coaches, I don't think luring somebody back to college from the NFL is as effective. Look at the Broncos as an example-Rich Tuten held that gig for years and survived multiple coaching changes. Luke Richesson (who currently has it) has already done so. Those guys have staying power. Its also easier for a rookie Head Coach like Kirby Smart take a big name in that business like Scott Cochran (Alabama) with him. I guess my point is if you're going to make a change there, you can't wait for Black Monday to do so.

Wanted to chime in on Leavitt-I think UM passes, but even if they are interested-its all about the money. He's a smart enough guy to know that he's going to get a look at this gig if it opens next year if he stays, and he very well could get more attention than that. I just don't see him moving unless UM decides they want to double what he makes here. Nevertheless, something to pay attention to.

Lastly (total hunch), I think Lindgren will get the Baer treatment for John DeFilippo-the Browns OC. Cleveland is on course to win the number one pick, and my Browns fan buddy says that staff is done. MM knows this guy-and that's important in who he hires. He brought him to San Jose State from the New York Jets, and then promoted him to OC in 2011. DeFilippo left for the Raiders after that year, and got the Browns OC gig this past offseason.

Durkin is putting together a great defensive staff at Maryland. Added London as the defensive line coach today.

Durkin is putting together a great defensive staff at Maryland. Added London as the defensive line coach today.

I have a feeling 5 years from now I'll be annoying people on this website with stories of how I said we should've snagged Durkin before he was the ****.

Also, if he sucks, I'll deny ever liking him and blame it on someone else.

Yeah he seems like a good up and coming coach but the most important hire is his offensive coordinator so we will have to wait to see what direction he goes there.

I'd still like to get a reaction to the thought of Ted Gilmore at WR/ST coach.

I'd still like to get a reaction to the thought of Ted Gilmore at WR/ST coach.
He would be very solid wr coach. Recruited well at Nebraska. I don't recall how well he recruited for CU.
do you think he would leave Wisconsin to come back to CU?

I wonder what Chip Long's making now? Wasn't he rumored to be in talks with CU at one point recently? He can certainly out-recruit Neinas. The past 2 classes he's been the lead recruiter on 6 4* commits, including CU targets Kallen Ballage and Jay Jay Wilson. He's got one 4 star this year and is still in the mix for 2 more.

If you could double the guy's salary, one would think he'd at least listen.
I've never heard about him talking with CU; but that would be great. If some knows something about Long and CU rumors please chime in. He really looks like a great recruiter. I'm he can coach the fair catch well enough.

As far as changing strength coaches, I don't think luring somebody back to college from the NFL is as effective. Look at the Broncos as an example-Rich Tuten held that gig for years and survived multiple coaching changes. Luke Richesson (who currently has it) has already done so. Those guys have staying power. Its also easier for a rookie Head Coach like Kirby Smart take a big name in that business like Scott Cochran (Alabama) with him. I guess my point is if you're going to make a change there, you can't wait for Black Monday to do so.

Wanted to chime in on Leavitt-I think UM passes, but even if they are interested-its all about the money. He's a smart enough guy to know that he's going to get a look at this gig if it opens next year if he stays, and he very well could get more attention than that. I just don't see him moving unless UM decides they want to double what he makes here. Nevertheless, something to pay attention to.

Lastly (total hunch), I think Lindgren will get the Baer treatment for John DeFilippo-the Browns OC. Cleveland is on course to win the number one pick, and my Browns fan buddy says that staff is done. MM knows this guy-and that's important in who he hires. He brought him to San Jose State from the New York Jets, and then promoted him to OC in 2011. DeFilippo left for the Raiders after that year, and got the Browns OC gig this past offseason.
Defilippo sounds like a reasonable possibility.
Kurt Roper is at Cleveland too and though he is rumored to be going to South Carolina, he has not officially been announced.

Defilippo sounds like a reasonable possibility.
Kurt Roper is at Cleveland too and though he is rumored to be going to South Carolina, he has not officially been announced.

I thought I saw footballscoop say done there, but I might be mistaken

He would be very solid wr coach. Recruited well at ****braska. I don't recall how well he recruited for CU.
do you think he would leave Wisconsin to come back to CU?
He has family here, so it's a possibility. No idea about his special teams abilities, but the chance to broaden his resume might be attractive to him.

Rod Smith the co-OC and qb coach at Arizona is another interesting possibility. He worked with Leavitt for five years at USF. Greg Frey OL coach at Indiana was on Leavitts staff too. Looks like he had a good staff. I wonder if MMac would consider going with any of them. Especially the ones with ties to the west

Back