What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel

Can not be a good situation at Texas with the rumors swirling about strong being fired at the end of the season. Hard to play when your not sure who is in charge? I could see ABriles replacing - just throwing that bone
Nope. Not an option. Animosity between UT and Briles.

Crap...Bruce Feldman is tweeting out some stats about the CU defense and the job Jim Leavitt has done. I'd prefer that stay under the radar as much as possible with Texas and FSU looking like they are going to be desperate for DC's after the season is over.
Bruce Feldman isn't exposing some huge secret that we have. CU and Jim Leavitt are not flying under the radar anymore in coaching circles or to anybody who will be making these decisions next season. The only hope we have of retaining JL is paying him more and/or hoping he wants to be here.

Bruce Feldman isn't exposing some huge secret that we have. CU and Jim Leavitt are not flying under the radar anymore in coaching circles or to anybody who will be making these decisions next season. The only hope we have of retaining JL is paying him more and/or hoping he wants to be here.

There are no true secrets anymore. Everybody has access to the same kind of information, film and data. It just depends on your ability to evaluate it and draw the right conclusions from it. Same goes for recruiting, I think.

well ****

There are no true secrets anymore. Everybody has access to the same kind of information, film and data. It just depends on your ability to evaluate it and draw the right conclusions from it. Same goes for recruiting, I think.
True. I just feel like Buff fans think Jim Leavitt is some unknown, under-the-radar, coaching commodity that we need to keep as our little secret. Any coach worth his salt knows who Jim Leavitt is and at least has an idea that he is very good at what he does.

And while I'd obviously like Leavitt to stay, the recent coaching hires should give us hope that those in charge are capable of making a good hire to replace him, that they know what they want and what they are looking for and that funds are available to hire a good one.

Miles would take either I think. I got the sense from that interview that he did with Tom Rinaldi that he wants to coach, and he'd take a job like Kentucky or Purdue. Urban Meyer would hire Strong as a defensive assistant tomorrow if he were available.

I fully expect Greg Schiano's phone to light up from FBS schools big and small as their head coaching jobs become available. I'm guessing Strong is indeed high on Urban's list for a replacement defensive coordinator now that it's looking like he'll be out of a job soon. That's not a bad gig to take for a year either, trying to spice up the resume by coaching up 4* defenders.

I fully expect Greg Schiano's phone to light up from FBS schools big and small as their head coaching jobs become available. I'm guessing Strong is indeed high on Urban's list for a replacement defensive coordinator now that it's looking like he'll be out of a job soon. That's not a bad gig to take for a year either, trying to spice up the resume by coaching up 4* defenders.

This could make a lot of sense.

Charlie may not be to excited about dropping down to some middle of the road program. I think his sights are set on having a shot at national championships.

Coaching at tOSU would set him up for one of those jobs when they come open, somebody who is a perennial top 15 with the resources to build a playoff roster.

JL is 59, that may make it less likely a P5 program comes calling. ..I hope.

I agree for a P5 head coaching job. What seems more likely is a program like Oklahoma or Florida State needing a new DC next year and thinking they could outbid CU for Leavitt's services or woo him with the prestige of a school that's been in the hunt for natties. That or a G5 school (think Ohio's decade with Frank Solich) okay with Leavitt making it his head coaching retirement job if he keeps them bowl eligible most years.

I agree for a P5 head coaching job. What seems more likely is a program like Oklahoma or Florida State needing a new DC next year and thinking they could outbid CU for Leavitt's services or woo him with the prestige of a school that's been in the hunt for natties. That or a G5 school (think Ohio's decade with Frank Solich) okay with Leavitt making it his head coaching retirement job if he keeps them bowl eligible most years.
Thanks for harshing my buzz....

And while I'd obviously like Leavitt to stay, the recent coaching hires should give us hope that those in charge are capable of making a good hire to replace him, that they know what they want and what they are looking for and that funds are available to hire a good one.
Tumpkin, (former DC himself) the safeties coach, has been honing his gig under Leavitt. He's not chopped liver.
Could move right up to DC if JL leaves, without missing too much of a beat, methinks.
I always thought of him as "Plan B" in case JL did not work out or left really early.

Did I stutter? I don't think we need to have an argument about Urban Meyer's character in a recruit's thread. Bolden's thread has already been pruned once in the last 24 hours; no need to have it done again.

With guys like Hernandez and others, he had blinders on with recruiting bad characters if they had talent. To the point where he has refused opportunities to return to Notre Dame as HC despite the fact that it was always his dream (he was named after a friggin' pope)... solely due to the fact that Notre Dame would not loosen its standards to the point where he could recruit guys like that and play games with coursework to keep them eligible. And, of course, there were the reports that the truth about his "health problems" at Florida was that he'd cheated on his wife and gotten some student or staffer pregnant.

With guys like Hernandez and others, he had blinders on with recruiting bad characters if they had talent. To the point where he has refused opportunities to return to Notre Dame as HC despite the fact that it was always his dream (he was named after a friggin' pope)... solely due to the fact that Notre Dame would not loosen its standards to the point where he could recruit guys like that and play games with coursework to keep them eligible. And, of course, there were the reports that the truth about his "health problems" at Florida was that he'd cheated on his wife and gotten some student or staffer pregnant.
So he's a big time college football coach?

So naming him after a Pope was appropriate then.

So he's a big time college football coach?

Pretty much. I think he's the best coach in the country. Some of what makes him great also makes him a trainwreck if you had to relate to him on certain levels, but I'm not sure that any assistant, parent or player ever has to relate to him on those levels. He's pretty much Petrino with a more polished image.

If people want to rip Urban's character for the rumors of cheating on his wife and impregnating a staffer, that's one thing. But let's not site here say a guy is a hypocrite or "weasel" because he bends admission requirements for some "less-than-academically-inclined" and takes chances on unsavory kids that can play, as if he's the only HC in college football that does such things. Most of you claim that you enjoy college football more than the pros, but the NCAA is just as dirty and hypocritical as the NFL and the very nature of recruiting and big time money in college forces this kind of precedent.

If people want to rip Urban's character for the rumors of cheating on his wife and impregnating a staffer, that's one thing. But let's not site here say a guy is a hypocrite or "weasel" because he bends admission requirements for some "less-than-academically-inclined" and takes chances on unsavory kids that can play, as if he's the only HC in college football that does such things. Most of you claim that you enjoy college football more than the pros, but the NCAA is just as dirty and hypocritical as the NFL and the very nature of recruiting and big time money in college forces this kind of precedent.
Listen I am a Florida fan and have always been a Meyer supporter, but if we are going to sit here and criticize Briles for what he did we really need to apply the same thought process with Hernandez at Florida because there were clear indications during his time at Florida but Urban did nothing because he just wanted to win.

Listen I am a Florida fan and have always been a Meyer supporter, but if we are going to sit here and criticize Briles for what he did we really need to apply the same thought process with Hernandez at Florida because there were clear indications during his time at Florida but Urban did nothing because he just wanted to win.
Briles and his staff looked the other way while multiple players, over multiple years were raping other students. What were the accusations against Hernandez during his time at Florida? There is a huge difference between keeping a guy around with questionable morals and some red flags, and conspiring with the university and police departments to actively kick multiple rape allegations under the rug.

NCAA is dirtier and more hypocritical than the pros.

Pros is very simple: it's a business, players are either performing assets or they are not. Very clear and it's easy to know the score. Rules about player safety and conduct along with gambling only exist because of how they relate to public perception for the brand (or to avoid lawsuits).

NCAA is very complicated: there is a higher ideal and a mission that is about developing young people, connecting a university community, etc. which also must focus on the fact that most of the athletes will never earn a living playing professionally. But they are also paying coaches millions of dollars to win, so for them and those who pay them, it is very much a business. So there is that big gray area of how best to balance the drive to win versus those higher goals of the organization (when excelling at all those higher goals while losing will get you fired).

I'm a college football fan and am not much of an NFL fan. At its best, college gives me reason to cheer and care while NFL is like any other form of professional entertainment. For example, just as I enjoy watching the amazing performances of talented NFL teams/players, I might enjoy a movie with DiCaprio this summer, but I don't root for his next one to be a hit (or root against it). It's a business and it either entertains me or it doesn't. With college, I develop a rooting interest against certain coaches and programs when they drift too far toward running things like a business while neglecting the higher goals.

Briles and his staff looked the other way while multiple players, over multiple years were raping other students. What were the accusations against Hernandez during his time at Florida? There is a huge difference between keeping a guy around with questionable morals and some red flags, and conspiring with the university and police departments to actively kick multiple rape allegations under the rug.
It all started when his dad died while he was in high school but he got into a lot of trouble before he went to Florida. Then there were numerous incidents with him fighting people out at bars and I believe he was also a suspect in a shooting while at Florida (apparently him and his buddies were very good at getting away with this stuff before the last one where he was caught).

It all started when his dad died while he was in high school but he got into a lot of trouble before he went to Florida. Then there were numerous incidents with him fighting people out at bars and I believe he was also a suspect in a shooting while at Florida (apparently him and his buddies were very good at getting away with this stuff before the last one where he was caught).

I remember that despite his talent that UConn was the only program that had been willing to take a risk on him and he had committed there. Urban decided to roll the dice & poach him for the Gators.

Back