What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
D’antonio gets a $4.3 million retention bonus in January 2020 as part of a contract he signed six years ago. He’s collecting that, coaching 2020, and retiring. Unless Michigan State works out a buy out with that bonus payment in mind.

USC athletic director Mike Bohn told the L.A. Times that there 's no rush to determine football coach Clay Helton's future: "We’re not on a specific timeline that would do anything to jeopardize momentum or opportunities that exist, regardless of what those are. Revealing any type of timeline or plan at this point would be premature and probably inappropriate."

Heh. Please, please, PLEASE wait till the week of the early signing day.

I wonder if Sumlin himself might be in trouble. 2 years of Khalil Tate and he's gotten 8 wins out of it.
Well, he should be in trouble. I doubt anything happens, but should. As far as Khalil, didn't they try to make him work from the pocket? It's not who that guy is.

Sumlin has a great agent. His buyout is cost prohibitive ($10MM+/- I believe) until 2020. This is a common theme among many teams right now, but, hey, Florida State ate $17 million, so nothing would surprise me at this point.

Well, he should be in trouble. I doubt anything happens, but should. As far as Khalil, didn't they try to make him work from the pocket? It's not who that guy is.
I believe it’s a toss up on whether it was Mazzone or Tate that wanted to be more of a pocket passer. I would guess it was Tate because he wanted a shot at QB in the league

What baggage that would be surprising outside the bull**** that Tennessee fans made up?
Talking the NE def coordinator job and then resigning less than a month later. Saying he needed to focus on his faith and family.

Monday after throttling the Malamutes Carousel Update:

dwyermj kicks off the spin of the carousel by spotting the first corpse banging against the hull of Rutgers, the first carousel casualty, Chris Ash.

New stuff noted with an UPDATE tag.

Open Jobs:

Rutgers- Chris Ash is out (h/t dwyermj), Nunzio Campanile is interim. UPDATE: After weeks of Greg Schiano all but being named, the deal falls through. (h/t DeNiro) Big Greg wanted $25MM in facility upgrades, and reportedly, unlimited use of a private jet. Schiano is not the guy. Rutgers heads back to the drawing board with Ventura Partners as the search firm.

Florida State- Willie Taggert out after less than two years. (h/t vinniew_11). That was a big one. Kirk Herbstreit drops a nuke on FSU, then pees on it to put out the fire. See ahoelsken's post above. So, who's it gonna be? FSU has spent roughly $30M (h/t sinkratz) on coaches over the last two years...that is a lot of oranges to sell. Odell Haggins, longtime FSU AC takes over as interim. Norvell a possibility (h/t Duff), Deion Sanders (h/t Sewall Beach), probably the silliest rumor out there right now. AD hires DHR Intl. for the search, expect to have hire made within a month. Leader in the clubhouse? Mike Norvell. FSU insiders rumoring Bob Stoops has made a deal as of this afternoon (11/14/19) After a lot of chatter about Bob Stoops, nothing, he's allegedly out. Names being thrown around are Mark Stoops, you know, the other one, PJ Fleck, Norvell, current interim Haggins, and Matt Campbell, in no particular order. Apparently, PJ Fleck's massive buyout kicks in in December...hmmmm. UPDATE: Here is where it gets weird. Taggart did not sign his contract. He was coaching under a letter of agreement. FSU may be able to avoid a big chunk of his buyout. Somebody is getting sued.

Arkansas- Chad Morris is out. Could not win even one SEC game. (h/t Duff). Eary names: Mike Norvell, Drinkwitz from App. St., Gus M., one column made the case for 59 year old Willie Fritz, not gonna happen IMO. CarolinaBuff says Leach, could happen.:unsure: Checked a couple of Hog related posters who sometimes seem to be in the know. Arky AD not interested in "retreads", and Leach is a no go. Sexton has pitched Drinkwitz and Kiffen and Kiffen is getting some traction. This one will be interesting as Norvell seems to be the #1 target of both FSU and Arky. The animosity between Malzahn and Arky is probably too high for Gus to return. (h/t hawg1). Norvell was the preferred candidate, but rumors are his agent has his sights set on a bigger landing strip than Arky. Lane Kiffen and Arky have talked, Bill Clark, Dave Clark and Butch Jones are other names.

UNLV- Sanchez does not survive. (h/t Jens, next post below). No winning seasons in five. Of note, Ced Cormier is WR coach on UNLV's staff, I hope he lands on his feet. UNLV could be a decent gig, now that they share the Raiders under construction stadium in Sin City. I was in LV last month, that stadium is pretty sweet.

Possibles:

Harbaugh- Hard to say. Jimbo had a rough start, but it may come down to tOSU.

Charlie Strong- Downward trajectory. A bad start, and the ice gets thinner for an embattled HC at 4-6 with a gut wrenching loss to Cincy.

Derek Mason- below .400 at Vandy in year six. Rumors swirl, the Vandy AD is unhappy, despite a nice upset of Mizzou. I think Mason is a goner. Jeff Fisher, Dave Aranda, Willie Fritz, Ken Numaatoilolonamaalolliteamnaaomommlo, and last but not least, MikMac himself, getting some early mention. 2-8. UPDATE: Derek Mason is safe per the AD. (h/t jeric).

Clay Helton- Swann out, Mike Bohn in as AD. Bret McMurphy reproting Urban Meyer is target numero uno. Pete Thamel says look at James Franklin, and if not him, then: Bob Stoops, Kyle Whittingham, Matt Rhule, PJ Fleck and a cast of thousands. This one will be big. I wonder how Bohn will screw it up. And of course, Lane Kiffin has expressed interest...in the HC job, not some random coed, although you never know. Some reports Bohn to USC as unwinding. Bohn wants Urban, Pres. Folt does not. Reports that other AD's said no when they were told they could not hire Urban. My guess as to the SC hire is not novel, it is Jack Del Rio. Let me be the first, I think, to nickname him, Jack The River. Bohn officially in. UPDATE: With the season concluded at 8-4, the Clay Helton death march continues...Bohn and his plaid SC colored sport jacket gave Clay a big hug before the fUCLA game...maybe he survives.

Matt Luke- Ole Miss always presumes their team should be more than it is, but even by reasonable standards, Luke is underachieving. The University has told the AD buying out Matt Luke, in his 6-16 SEC glory, is too much and that he needs to stay through 2020. Apparently the 6.5MM to buy out Luke and the 6MM more to buyout RichRod and dear old MikMac is more than the Rebels can handle, budget wise.

Mike Bobo- CSU may not be able to afford to let him go yet. When you look at his overall record, it isn't that bad by CSU standards. But the losses to the flagship, AFA, Boise and Wyoming weigh heavily. Wins at UNM, UNLV and Fresno could save Bobo, but losing spectacularly at home AFA and loss number 12 under Bobo to CSU's rivals, this time in the form of Wyoming, puts CSU out of a bowl and winless against its four rivals. 4-7.

University of Almost Mexico- Bob Davie has one winning season andfour losing.

Will Muschamp- Received the dreaded vote of confidence from his AD. UPDATE: Columbia is in shambles. Football staffers now resort to alcohol and fistfights with Muschamp impersonators. DBT wants to do an intervention.

Michigan State- Mark D'Antonio looks worn out, so does his team. Pounding by rival Michigan and recent lackluster results could bring a retirement for 63 year old D'Antonio. UPDATE: D'Antonio says he is coming back. (h/t Duffman).

Other News:

Show me the Money- Cali leads the way to player pay, starting 2023. Hapless NCAA and Conferences clutch pearls.

Sheriron Jones- The well-traveled QB gets caught in a solo routine. CU dodged a bullet. (h/t sewallbeach)

Arizona- Gets defensive about its DC and fires him, and one defensive AC. (h/t Jens). Chuck Cecil now DC (h/t ahoelsken). Fired their DL coach, Sumlin dropping defensive AC's on a near weekly basis. (h/t DeNiro).

Wazzu- Tracy Claeys "resigns". (h/t Tractor)

USC- hires Mike Bohn as AD (h/t ZKobalt), 11 other P12 programs chuckling uncontrollably.

Minnesota- PJ Fleck extended for 7 years, kNU in mourning.

Indiana- Tom Allen negotiating a raise, and presumably, an extension. kNU mourns more.

kNU- Wagons are circling in advance of the yearly loss to the Badgers. 8-13 Scottie Frost got a virtual "vote of confidence" from Bill Moos who said Scottie needs "3 or 4 recruiting classes" to turn it around in niblet land. The beginning of the end? When the AD has to defend his HC, it usually is the beginning of the end. Just a little perspective, Scottie makes as much as Gus Malzahn at Auburn and can't beat anybody but directional schools. UPDATE: Frost extended by two years, then promptly loses, again, to Wiscy. (h/t blackdynamite), I think he had it first.

BYU- Kilani 'the Mushroom" Sitaki extended.

Willie Taggart- As noted in the FSU update, not so slick Willie never signed a formal agreement with FSU and the buyout provisions are up in the air. Willie needs to lawyer up and go after his agent and former attorney. This one cost him a bundle.

No. Colorado- Earnest Hollings gets the axe. (h/t ahoelsken)

Last edited:
Whoever takes over for Helton is going to inherit some serious talent. If the next coach can fix the defense they will be the favorite in the Pac-12 next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back