What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arkansas musings.

Arky is similarly situated to kNU. Only game in the state, huge fanbase/support, monster AD budget, top notch facilities, premium conference. Lives off recruiting neighboring states. For some reason, neither can recapture the glory.

I thought Bielema would do well there, Arky can bring in the bigs and RB's aplenty have rolled through there. He bombed. I thought Morris, with his high flying offense would do well there. Arky lands top shelf athletes. No go. IMO, it will take a real special HC to bring them back. Arky has the cash to "go big"

So who will it be?

Malzahn is the obvious splash hire.
I would steer clear of Norvell.
Leach could work, but he would be a 7-8 win a year guy, and they will be disappointed if they go there.
Sonny Dykes could also be a fit.

If it were me, I would look at Blake Anderson.

I like him. He's done a nice job there, and he seems like a guy I'd want my son to play for. He seems pretty content at Arkansas State, his wife passed in September, and I thought I read his youngest is a senior in high school. Not sure he makes a move this year.

Arkansas musings.

Arky is similarly situated to kNU. Only game in the state, huge fanbase/support, monster AD budget, top notch facilities, premium conference. Lives off recruiting neighboring states. For some reason, neither can recapture the glory.

I thought Bielema would do well there, Arky can bring in the bigs and RB's aplenty have rolled through there. He bombed. I thought Morris, with his high flying offense would do well there. Arky lands top shelf athletes. No go. IMO, it will take a real special HC to bring them back. Arky has the cash to "go big"

So who will it be?

Malzahn is the obvious splash hire.
I would steer clear of Norvell.
Leach could work, but he would be a 7-8 win a year guy, and they will be disappointed if they go there.
Sonny Dykes could also be a fit.

If it were me, I would look at Blake Anderson.
Not sure Ark is ready for another G5. Reportedly feel Malzahn used them last time. Could go high end coordinator route.

Ark would eat MM alive. Those fans are tough. Ask Houston Nutt.

Yeah-Morris was an Embree-esque flop so whoever goes there should get a fair amount of rope though. They also need to do something different to try and compete for a while-Alabama recruits itself as long as Saban is there, LSU looks to have staying power, and Auburn competes with those two. I'd call Leach first and if I can't get him, I'm calling Sonny Dykes.

Mel loves it here! Saw a chance to build something special. Could see a raise and extension at the end of 2021 which would be smart for recruiting and momentum if the results are there. If and when he is successful, there is only 1 job I worry about him wanting and that is WISCONSIN!!!
I do not think any other job sways him.
Wisconsin will never be a premium destination for MT or anyone else until Alvarez retires dies.

(Like KjSU and the crypt keeper, Alvarez will be sitting on the shoulder of every AD and head football coach until he's in the grave.)

Could be the type to take a look at a certain turnaround artist who coaches in that division too
Mike is not a turnaround artist. A turnaround artist would have done more than just make things better from all-time lows. We would have been at least above average, instead of below average during his tenure if he was a turnaround artist.

Mike is not a turnaround artist. A turnaround artist would have done more than just make things better from all-time lows. We would have been at least above average, instead of below average during his tenure if he was a turnaround artist.

Stop.

Those guys were ****ing morons. Mike couldn't motivate himself without tears, and a Pepsi swilling DC. Mel is rolling. Relentless.

Are the standards so low around here that 4-6 is "completely rolling"? JFC. This program had a very good weekend, but come on dude.

Now, we are spinning Carousel Update:

dwyermj kicks off the spin of the carousel by spotting the first corpse banging against the hull of Rutgers, the first carousel casualty, Chris Ash.

New stuff noted with an UPDATE tag.

Open Jobs:

Rutgers- Chris Ash is out (h/t dwyermj), Nunzio Campanile is interim. No firm news on the new Capo dei capi, or whether Campianile will be consigliere, but rumors abound Greg Schiano left the Pats last March to muscle his way back to New Brunswick (or is it Camden?), honestly, who cares where it is, it is still NJ. Chris Ash reportedly still alive and well. Joe Moorhead, Miss. St. HC getting some mention. Schiano looks to be the man in Piscataway. Rumors a deal is in the works are flying. UPDATE: Multiple sources point to Schiano being announced any day now.

Florida State- Willie Taggert out after less than two years. (h/t vinniew_11). That was a big one. Kirk Herbstreit drops a nuke on FSU, then pees on it to put out the fire. See ahoelsken's post above. So, who's it gonna be? FSU has spent roughly $30M (h/t sinkratz) on coaches over thelast couple of years...that is a lot of oranges to sell. Odell Haggins, longtime FSU AC takes over as interim. Bob Stoops not interested in FSU job. Likes his part-time gig in the Arena league, or whatever it is he is doing now. FSU AD wants to have man in place by season's end. That would limit the pool quite a bit, I would think. Norvell a possibility (h/t Duff), Deion Sanders (h/t Sewall Beach), probably the silliest rumor out there right now.

Arkansas- Chad Morris is out. Could not win even one SEC game. (h/t Duff). Eary names: Mike Norvell, Drinkwitz from App. St., Gus M., one column made the case for 59 year old Willie Fritz, not gonna happen IMO. CarolinaBuff says Leach, could happen.:unsure:

Possibles:

Harbaugh- UM is a mess. After tOSU dismantles them, it will likely be curtains for Jimbo. UPDATE Rumors of an exit strategy by Jimbo, then a strongly worded "I am staying" letter from Jimbo to player's parents. Almost as good as an indicator he is going as the dreaded AD vote of confidence. The win over ND is a nice scalp for Jimbo's wall.

Charlie Strong- Severe downward trajectory. Cntinuing a bad start, and the ice gets thinner for an embattled HC.

Derek Mason- below .400 at Vandy in year six. Rumors swirl, the Vandy AD is unhappy, despite a nice upset of Mizzou. 2-7, just pasted by UF, no bowl, I think Mason is a goner. Jeff Fisher, Dave Aranda, Willie Fritz, Ken Numaatoilolonamaalolliteamnaaomommlo, and last but not least, MikMac himself, getting some early mention.

Clay Helton- Sitting at about .640, not a good look for the plastic SoCal fan. UPDATE: Swann out, Mike Bohn in as AD. Bret McMurphy reproting Urban Meyer is target numero uno. Pete Thamel says look at James Franklin, and if not him, then: Bob Stoops, Kyle Whittingham, Matt Rhule, PJ Fleck and a cast of thousands. This one will be big. I wonder how Bohn will screw it up. And of course, Lane Kiffin has expressed interest...in the HC job, not some random coed, although you never know. Some reports Bohn to USC as unwinding. Bohn wants Urban, Pres. Folt does not. Reports that other AD's said no when they were told they could not hire Urban. Pete Thamel reports Bohn will likely come anyway. I agree, he has always been a windsock. He will do as he is told, which is why SC will end up with him. My guess as to the SC hire is not novel, it is Jack Del Rio. Let me be the first, I think, to nickname him, Jack The River. Bohn officially in. Helton continues to dangle.

Matt Luke- Ole Miss always presumes their team should be more than it is, but even by reasonable standards, Luke is underachieving.

Mike Bobo- CSU may not be able to afford to let him go yet. When you look at his overall record, it isn't that bad by CSU standards. But the losses to the flagship, AFA, Boise and Wyoming weigh heavily. Wins at UNM, UNLV and Fresno could save Bobo, yet. 4-5.

Mike Gundy- Fans getting picky. A .670 HC not good enough anymore.

UNLV- Hard to see how Sanchez survives. No winning seasons in five.

University of Almost Mexico- Ditto Davie, except he won in his first season..

Other News:

Show me the Money- Cali leads the way to player pay, starting 2023. Hapless NCAA and Conferences clutch pearls.

Sheriron Jones- The well-traveled QB gets caught in a solo routine. CU dodged a bullet. (h/t sewallbeach)

Arizona- Gets defensive about its DC and fires him, and one defensive AC. (h/t Jens).

Wazzu- Tracy Claeys "resigns". (h/t Tractor)

USC- hires Mike Bohn as AD (h/t ZKobalt), 11 other P12 programs chuckling uncontrollably.

Minnesota- PJ Fleck extended for 7 years, kNU in mourning.

Indiana- Tom Allen negotiating a raise, and presumably, an extension. kNU mourns more.
Good run down. As far as UNM, it's not like you don't know this, they could give a rat's nasty ass about football. Basketball is their thing.

MM has taken over two different programs coming off really poor seasons and led them to 10 wins in years three and four respectively. That is not easy.

Does not mean he is an elite coach, but he is not garbage like some CU fans portray him as.

Stop.

Are the standards so low around here that 4-6 is "completely rolling"? JFC. This program had a very good weekend, but come on dude.
The definition of low standards is referring to Mike as a turnaround artist. He was given more resources than any previous coach, and could only improve from an F to a D. The guy didn't have the energy, desire, or attitude to take us where we belong. Mel is building something bigger than this season, and small minded drones will understandably be confused that results are not instant. Mel is a hustler. I have no doubt he will achieve his goals. How can you not be excited to look at the offer lists of our commits that have Alabama in place of Colorado State?

The definition of low standards is referring to Mike as a turnaround artist. He was given more resources than any previous coach, and could only improve from an F to a D. The guy didn't have the energy, desire, or attitude to take us where we belong. Mel is building something bigger than this season, and small minded drones will understandably be confused that results are not instant. Mel is a hustler. I have no doubt he will achieve his goals. How can you not be excited to look at the offer lists of our commits that have Alabama in place of Colorado State?

comments like these are so strange to me. Unless you were part of the AD or know MM personally everything you’re claiming is a pile of ****. It’s okay to show respect to old coaches, regardless of what you feel about their overall tenure. Do you truthfully believe he didn’t want to win or try everything he possibly could to win? For ****s sake, let’s just move on. He came here, he worked his ass off, he did some good things and now he’s gone. Onto to the next era.

I don’t think I’ll ever understand the need for some people to throw the last guy under the bus. MM had weaknesses, but the guy wasn’t a total bum. Similarly, we still don’t know what we have in MT. Early indications are encouraging - particularly with regards to recruiting - but our record could very well be worse this year than it was last year.

I don’t think I’ll ever understand the need for some people to throw the last guy under the bus. MM had weaknesses, but the guy wasn’t a total bum. Similarly, we still don’t know what we have in MT. Early indications are encouraging - particularly with regards to recruiting - but our record could very well be worse this year than it was last year.
But Dan Hawkins. **** that guy.

A couple of things-One, let me say this on Mike MacIntyre: He deserved to get fired after last year. You don't follow up 10-4 with back to back 5-7's and hope to keep your job. Had I been RG, I'd have let him go after 2017. This is indisputable though-he's the first coach this program has had since Bill McCartney who has left this program in better shape than he found it. I'm over the FHCMM hate.

Since you brought up recruiting, you know who got an offer from Alabama? Laviska Shenault.

Two, I love how there's now a contingent in this fanbase who holds Mike MacIntyre to a standard, yet are nowhere to be found after games like Washington State, USC, and UCLA/already flipping out about keeping Mel after a win over a down Stanford in 2022. This program definitely had a GREAT weekend last weekend, and Mel has what it takes to be successful here. That said, potential can be one of the dirtiest words in sports-we all should have learned that from the D2 experience.

I think Harbaugh might have bought himself another year at Michigan with that win over Norte Dame. Things could always change with a blowout loss to Ohio State.

Lots of similarities between Michigan and LSU coming into the season-they both had 800 pound gorillas they needed to get off their backs. The Cajun god got the Alabama monkey off his back last weekend. Will Dad Pants be able to do the same?

This is the era of Coach Tucker at CU. Feel free to keep looking backwards but it won't change anything. Look forward and enjoy life.

I compared Chad Morris' Arky tenure to Embree here.....but this is the carousel thread. Can we get back on topic?

MM has taken over two different programs coming off really poor seasons and led them to 10 wins in years three and four respectively. That is not easy.

Does not mean he is an elite coach, but he is not garbage like some CU fans portray him as.
MM can also be frustrating because you see him build up a program but he falls short of completing it to the level he gives hopes for.

Something else that is not easy that I give him credit for is stabilizing a program. The SJSU program he took over was almost off the rails. There was some real discussion there about dropping football as the program was a financial disaster and had faced a number of embarrassing PR situations.

Colorado had a bunch of negative issues to overcome other than just not being good at football. MM did a good job of restoring the community attitude towards the program. He didn't have many police issues and the teams academic performance was good.

He needed to be fired based on the on-field results and the roster he left was not competitive compared to PAC 12 schools but MT could have taken over a much worse situation.

Mid-week, I am bored, just saw a few tidbits Carousel Update:

dwyermj kicks off the spin of the carousel by spotting the first corpse banging against the hull of Rutgers, the first carousel casualty, Chris Ash.

New stuff noted with an UPDATE tag.

Open Jobs:

Rutgers- Chris Ash is out (h/t dwyermj), Nunzio Campanile is interim. No firm news on the new Capo dei capi, or whether Campianile will be consigliere, but rumors abound Greg Schiano left the Pats last March to muscle his way back to New Brunswick (or is it Camden?), honestly, who cares where it is, it is still NJ. Chris Ash reportedly still alive and well. Joe Moorhead, Miss. St. HC getting some mention. Schiano looks to be the man in Piscataway. Rumors a deal is in the works are flying. Multiple sources point to Schiano being announced any day now. UPDATE: Schiano met with the NJ governor, reportedly about the $$$ for facility upgrades when he returns, all but a done deal.

Florida State- Willie Taggert out after less than two years. (h/t vinniew_11). That was a big one. Kirk Herbstreit drops a nuke on FSU, then pees on it to put out the fire. See ahoelsken's post above. So, who's it gonna be? FSU has spent roughly $30M (h/t sinkratz) on coaches over thelast couple of years...that is a lot of oranges to sell. Odell Haggins, longtime FSU AC takes over as interim. Bob Stoops not interested in FSU job. Likes his part-time gig in the Arena league, or whatever it is he is doing now. FSU AD wants to have man in place by season's end. That would limit the pool quite a bit, I would think. Norvell a possibility (h/t Duff), Deion Sanders (h/t Sewall Beach), probably the silliest rumor out there right now. UPDATE: AD hires DHR Intl. for the search, expect to have hire made within a month. Leader in the clubhouse? Mike Norvell.

Arkansas- Chad Morris is out. Could not win even one SEC game. (h/t Duff). Eary names: Mike Norvell, Drinkwitz from App. St., Gus M., one column made the case for 59 year old Willie Fritz, not gonna happen IMO. CarolinaBuff says Leach, could happen.:unsure: UPDATE: Malzahn rumors continue to swirl.

Possibles:

Harbaugh- UM is a mess. After tOSU dismantles them, it will likely be curtains for Jimbo. UPDATE Rumors of an exit strategy by Jimbo, then a strongly worded "I am staying" letter from Jimbo to player's parents. Almost as good as an indicator he is going as the dreaded AD vote of confidence. The win over ND is a nice scalp for Jimbo's wall.

Charlie Strong- Severe downward trajectory. Cntinuing a bad start, and the ice gets thinner for an embattled HC.

Derek Mason- below .400 at Vandy in year six. Rumors swirl, the Vandy AD is unhappy, despite a nice upset of Mizzou. 2-7, just pasted by UF, no bowl, I think Mason is a goner. Jeff Fisher, Dave Aranda, Willie Fritz, Ken Numaatoilolonamaalolliteamnaaomommlo, and last but not least, MikMac himself, getting some early mention.

Clay Helton- Sitting at about .640, not a good look for the plastic SoCal fan. UPDATE: Swann out, Mike Bohn in as AD. Bret McMurphy reproting Urban Meyer is target numero uno. Pete Thamel says look at James Franklin, and if not him, then: Bob Stoops, Kyle Whittingham, Matt Rhule, PJ Fleck and a cast of thousands. This one will be big. I wonder how Bohn will screw it up. And of course, Lane Kiffin has expressed interest...in the HC job, not some random coed, although you never know. Some reports Bohn to USC as unwinding. Bohn wants Urban, Pres. Folt does not. Reports that other AD's said no when they were told they could not hire Urban. Pete Thamel reports Bohn will likely come anyway. I agree, he has always been a windsock. He will do as he is told, which is why SC will end up with him. My guess as to the SC hire is not novel, it is Jack Del Rio. Let me be the first, I think, to nickname him, Jack The River. Bohn officially in. Helton continues to dangle.

Matt Luke- Ole Miss always presumes their team should be more than it is, but even by reasonable standards, Luke is underachieving. UPDATE: The University has told the AD buying out Matt Luke, in his 6-16 SEC glory, is too much and that he needs to stay through 2020. Apparently the 6.5MM to buy out Luke and the 6MM more to buyout RichRod and dear old MikMac is more than the Rebels can handle, budget wise.

Mike Bobo- CSU may not be able to afford to let him go yet. When you look at his overall record, it isn't that bad by CSU standards. But the losses to the flagship, AFA, Boise and Wyoming weigh heavily. Wins at UNM, UNLV and Fresno could save Bobo, yet. 4-5.

Mike Gundy- Fans getting picky. A .670 HC not good enough anymore.

UNLV- Hard to see how Sanchez survives. No winning seasons in five.

University of Almost Mexico- Ditto Davie, except he won in his first season..

Other News:

Show me the Money- Cali leads the way to player pay, starting 2023. Hapless NCAA and Conferences clutch pearls.

Sheriron Jones- The well-traveled QB gets caught in a solo routine. CU dodged a bullet. (h/t sewallbeach)

Arizona- Gets defensive about its DC and fires him, and one defensive AC. (h/t Jens).

Wazzu- Tracy Claeys "resigns". (h/t Tractor)

USC- hires Mike Bohn as AD (h/t ZKobalt), 11 other P12 programs chuckling uncontrollably.

Minnesota- PJ Fleck extended for 7 years, kNU in mourning.

Indiana- Tom Allen negotiating a raise, and presumably, an extension. kNU mourns more.

kNU- Wagons are circling in advance of the yearly, ritual de-pantsing by the Badgers. 8-13 Scottie Frost got a virtual "vote of confidence" from Bill Moos who said Scottie needs "3 or 4 recruiting classes" to turn it around in niblet land. The beginning of the end? When the AD has to defend his HC, it usually is the beginning of the end. Just a little perspective, Scottie makes as much as Gus Malzahn at Auburn and can't beat anybody but directional schools.

Last edited:
Rutgers fans going to have to be patient. It took Schiano 5 years to get them into a bowl the first time they were burned to the ground.

Rutgers fans going to have to be patient. It took Schiano 5 years to get them into a bowl the first time they were burned to the ground.

I know I mocked whoever it was (I can't remember-havent seen that person post here recently) who suggested him here last winter, but Schiano's the only fit for Rutgers. When you suck as bad as they do, you need to go get the one guy who has shown he knows how to be successful there. I don't see another 2006 ever happening at Rutgers (that was the year they were in the top 10) but I think he can definitely get that thing to a place where they can compete consistently with most of that league.

Malzahn to Arkansas is the obvious move and I think it happens.
I would agree. All things considered he probably checks all the boxes, I still think somebody is going to hire Blake Anderson and be very happy. I think he would be a good fit at Arky, but the fanbase will want a name after going the coordinator route IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back