What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.

I believe the football program was very much in line with the university when you arrived, Matt.

I find statements like these highly amusing. I often wonder where the notion that a coach is a philosopher, gifted leader of men and all around moral role model comes from. It must be the size of the paychecks that lead to that kind of grandiose self-image.

You coach a game. You have the opportunity to role model what being a decent adult is. You may, at times, have the opportunity to positively mentor some of your athletes. You are not the second coming.

I find statements like these highly amusing. I often wonder where the notion that a coach is a philosopher, gifted leader of men and all around moral role model comes from. It must be the size of the paychecks that lead to that kind of grandiose self-image.

You coach a game. You have the opportunity to role model what being a decent adult is. You may, at times, have the opportunity to positively mentor some of your athletes. You are not the second coming.

You sound like a guy who would take a knee. Gandhi never took a knee. Martin Luther King, Jr. never took a knee.

The nature of the job, though, makes a HC at a major university a community leader. More specifically, that HC is leading a group of young people who represent the university and live in the community. If all that HC cares about are x's and o's & wining games, then we get what happened with Briles.

As someone who lives in Boulder, I don't want to fear for the safety of myself or my family if a player on the team is encountered. I don't want to learn that the sports program I'm supporting is assaulting and endangering fellow students. There is definitely a moral leadership component to being a college HC. There has to be or the organizational culture turns into something I could no longer support as a donor or even as a fan. Not that I expect a team and culture of choir boys, but there have to be high standards and accountability. There has to be vetting of the people recruited that goes beyond whether they can play.

In some lighter news San Diego State HC Rocky Long (81-38 since 2011) is interviewing today with Dino Babers for the DC job at Syracuse. Must need a change of pace/scenery. Good coach....
Ho lee fuk. If Rocky Long were simply looking for a P5 DC position, he could do way better than Cuse.

Ho lee fuk. If Rocky Long were simply looking for a P5 DC position, he could do way better than Cuse.

It's kinda interesting. It's reported that Rocky actively started scouting around aggressively for a P5 DC job just recently. He's not young and I think the work of being a HC in the underfunded MWC just got old.

It's kinda interesting. It's reported that Rocky actively started scouting around aggressively for a P5 DC job just recently. He's not young and I think the work of being a HC in the underfunded MWC just got old.
SDSU is a really stingy D. Interesting.

Fisch would scare me with the o line talent they have. I do think that oregon is going to take a step back recruiting wise with any of these candidates. Arroyo was proven in that area.

Thamel saying Macintyre is emerging as the leading DC at Memphis. Going from waking up to the flatirons every day to living in Memphis within a year, ouch.
It's not uncommon.

I unfortunately did it, CU bachelors to Memphis masters. And there was another CU kid the next year who did the same; although he grew up in Memphis.

If you like BBQ, blues music and Elvis, Memphis is fine. Otherwise, it’s a rather depressing spot, IMO.

It's not uncommon.

I unfortunately did it, CU bachelors to Memphis masters. And there was another CU kid the next year who did the same; although he grew up in Memphis.

giphy.gif

Wednesday Carousel Update:

New stuff noted with an UPDATE tag.

Filled Jobs:

SDSU-
Rocky Long steps down, Brady Hoke takes over.

Rutgers-
Chris Ash out (h/t dwyermj), Nunzio Campanile was interim. Schiano back for Round 2 (h/t Jalapeno).

Washington-
On and off the Carousel in what may be world record time, Peterson out, Lake in. (h/t MKBuffs) Shout out to onealcd for his swami-like predictive powers on this one.

Florida State- Willie Taggert out after less than two years. (h/t vinniew_11). Mike Norvell in. (h/t CarolinaBuff) Leavitt gone (h/t Trufflesauce). ODell Haggins retained as DL (h/t DeNiro). Fmr. Auburn OC/QB Ken Dillingham filling same role at FSU. (h/t DeNiro).

Ole Miss- Matt Luke is out (h/t jeric). The Lane train rolls into Oxford, Lane Kiffin in, stiffing Arky. (h/t DeNiro, ahoelsken, Hawg) MikMac stays as DC. (h/t BinaryBuff) Love, S and C from FAU follows. RichRod sent packing (h/t ahoelsken)

Arkansas- Chad Morris is out. Could not win even one SEC game. (h/t Duff). UGA OL coach Sam Pittman in. Fmr. Mizzou HC Barry Odom now DC (h/t Duff). UPDATE: Kendal Briles OC (h/t DeNiro).

Mizzou- Barry Odom out. (h/t Duff) Eli Drinkwitz in (h/t DeNiro), a $4MMper year. Ted Roof added to staff (h/t bombay). Ryan Walters and David Gibbs stay on staff.

UNLV- Sanchez does not survive. (h/t Jens). Ced Cormier is WR coach on UNLV's staff, I hope he lands on his feet. Arroyo Oregon DC in (h/t DeNiro)

USF- Charlie Strong is out. (h/t DeNiro) Clemson co-OC Jeff Scott in. (h/t DeNiro) Strong gets $3MM buyout. UPDATE: Dan DaPrato gets an AC position (h/t TSchek).

UTSA- Frank Wilson out. (h/t DeNiro) Jeff Traylor, from Arky, in. (h/t DeNiro) Barry Lunney, also from Arky to be OC.

Old Dominion- Bobby Wilder resigns (h/t DeNiro) Ricky Rhane from PSU in. (h/t OUBUFF)

Colorado St.- Bobo out (h/t 85Alum) Steve "dude" Addazio (h/t Jens). as Urb's S in L and Dude's son get jobs on the csewe staff. (h/t Dio). UPDATE: S and C flees to FAU, QB Collin Hill just flees.

FAU- Kiffin out, to Ole Miss, Willie Taggart in (h/t DeNiro) Kiffin attempting to raid Bama staff. UPDATE: Jim Leavitt DC (h/t Duff)

Boston College- Steve Addizzio out. (h/t DeNiro) Ryan Hefley, tOSU DC gets gig (h/t DeNiro).

App. State- Drinkwitz off to Mizzou. Interim Shawn Clark takes over (h/t DeNiro).

Memphis- Norvell off to FSU, Ryan Sutterfield in (h/t DeNiro).

University of Almost Mexico- Bob Davie out. (h/t Black Dynamite) Danny Gonzales ASU DC in (h/t Buffnik).

Fresno St.- Tedford steps down for health reasons, Indiana OC Kalen DeBoer in. (h/t DeNiro)

Open Jobs:

Bailer- Matt Rhule off to Carolina, his divine work completed in Waco, is off to convert Carolina, North and South, into a veritable garden of eden. (h/t onealcd)

Miss. St.- Joe Moorhead out, MSU turning their search into a comedic festival. Sark is either in, or not, Billy Napier is the new guy, untilhe said he wasn't, Arky St. Andersen in play. They are all over the place right now.

Secondary Market-

[None]

Possibles:

Bailer- Matt Rhule on the short list for NYG job. (h/t Jens)

Other News:

Show me the Money- Cali leads the way to player pay, starting 2023. Hapless NCAA and Conferences clutch pearls.

Sheriron Jones- The well-traveled QB gets caught in a solo routine. CU dodged a bullet. (h/t sewallbeach)

Arizona- Gets defensive about its DC and fires him, and one defensive AC. (h/t Jens). Chuck Cecil now DC (h/t ahoelsken). Fired their DL coach, Sumlin dropping defensive AC's on a near weekly basis. (h/t DeNiro). Sumlin back for year three (h/t Jens) Paul Rhoads now DC (h/t BuffUp).

ASU- Herm guns down his OC and pretty much the whole O staff. Boise OC Zak Hill hired as OC (h/t DeNiro) Tony White new DC (h/t BuffUp)

Wazzu- Tracy Claeys "resigns". (h/t Tractor) Leach extended (h/t DeNiro)

USC- hires Mike Bohn as AD (h/t ZKobalt), 11 other P12 programs chuckling uncontrollably. UPDATE: Harrell stays as OC (h/t DeNiro), DC Pendergast and S and C axed (h/t Hawg1).

Minnesota- PJ Fleck extended for 7 years, kNU in mourning.

Indiana- Tom Allen negotiating a raise, and presumably, an extension. kNU mourns more.

kNU- Frost extended by two years, then promptly loses, again, to Wiscy. (h/t blackdynamite) kNU extends no bowl streak with loss to Iowa.

BYU- Kilani 'the Mushroom" Sitaki extended.

Willie Taggart- As noted in the FSU update, not so slick Willie never signed a formal agreement with FSU and the buyout provisions are up in the air. Willie needs to lawyer up and go after his agent and former attorney. This one cost him a bundle.

No. Colorado- Earnest Hollings gets the axe. (h/t ahoelsken) Eddie McCaffrey new head Bear (h/t ahoelsken)

UNLV-UN-R: Game erupts into a full blown brawl.

Northwestern- McCall the OC/QB canned. (h/t DeNiro) Mike Bajakian new OC (h/t DeNiro)

Texas St.- Bob Stitt out (h/t DeNiro)

ISU/Matt Campbell- Extension signed through 2025 (h/t TSchek)

Tejas- Chris Ash new DC (h/t somebody, I forgot) tOSU passing Coord. Yurcich the new OC (h/t DeNiro)

Oregon St.- Bigger AC pool (h/t DeNiro)

Liberty- Hugh Freeze gets raise (h/t DeNiro)

Mike Bobo- Lands OC gig at So. Carolina for $1.2 MM/yr.

No. Carolina- Mack Brown extended

Notre Dame- OC Chip Long gone (h/t dwyermj)

UGA- Matt Luke now OL.

Auburn- Chad Morris retreads to the plains. (h/t Hawg)

SMU- Dykes get extensions. (h/t DeNiro)

Miami- Dan Enos canned. (h/t DeNiro)

Vandy- Mason pulls the old fire the coordinator trick as fmr. Corn****er Gdowski and and Jason Tarver out as OC and DC respectively. (h/t DeNiro)

All Encompassing, Long Awaited SJ Tuohy Update- SJ Tuohy, the little kid in the Blind Side movie, actually exists, and was fired from the Arky staff as Dir. of Player Development. Stay tuned for more breaking news on this very important story.

I think you're right-to an extent. Rhule lost me with what looked like "God brought to this ****hole to coach ball" in that interview, but these guys are more than just coaches. Can I do without some of that from coaches? Sure, but they are huge presences in the communities they coach in-look no further than Mel Tucker here. That to me is what I look for-I remember him in Vegas yelling at the officials during the conference tourney last year, and he's courtside for the big game with the Ducks.

Is it bad that my first thought with this was Starkville's not a good place for a recovering alcoholic to go to?
I think Sark is going to keep up the good fight wherever he goes...personally, I root for him on that score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back