What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think UNLV hired the wrong Oregon coordinator, their offense was loaded and super meh. That defense on the other hand..

I think UNLV hired the wrong Oregon coordinator, their offense was loaded and super meh. That defense on the other hand..
I think UNLV did about as well as they could on this one. It's a challenging job historically that hasn't had a huge budget for coaches. But it is a place where someone can win, particularly with the new training facilities and new stadium.

giphy.gif

I wonder how big a salary break he's giving them for the first few years since BC is paying him?

Whereas Wilson was a weird hire, but potentially could work out, this just seems really poor.

I also think CSU has a real recruiting footprint issue. Bobo leaned heavily to the southeast with his Georgia roots. Adazzio has recruited almost exclusively in Mass, Rhode Island, NY, Jersey, and Maryland for his tenure at BC. Zero focus on the west in a long time, which seems like it will continue.

Also odd that they went with an offensive coach, when the problems were more on the defensive side of the ball.

I think UNLV did about as well as they could on this one. It's a challenging job historically that hasn't had a huge budget for coaches. But it is a place where someone can win, particularly with the new training facilities and new stadium.

I have never seen UNLV to have the potential that you do. I grew up in Phoenix in the 70s and there were a lot of parallels. And still, ASU has suffered with attendance, despite having gazillions more alumni out there.

Challenges:
1. Other distractions and things to do in Sept-Nov. (A western US thing)
2. nobody is from there, most that live there, never have been on UNLV campus (another Western US thing)
3. The Raiders coming to town, is a giant problem not a help. Salt Lake and Boise don't have that to compete with. Either did UNLV. This is going to be a challenge for them, just as the Donks is the biggest reason for CU apathy. See talk-radio. Compare SLC talk radio to Denver.

They have built facilities, but honestly, not sure playing in the Raiders stadium is a help. It's going to be completely empty from day one. Echos galore.

Things on their side:
1. Lots of SoCal transplants in LV, including a decent amount of homegrown talent that is increasing with population.
2. Popular with Pacific Islanders. They love Las Vegas. Go to the Islands, and that's all they want to do is go on vacation in Vegas. Odd!
3. easy and cheap to get to from other recruiting hubs such as Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, and a short drive from SoCal.
4. Girls. They need to establish UNLV as the G5 Stripper U. Take no backseat to ASU, this needs to be embraced!

If I was the AD, I'd have tried hard to hire a Poly coach and go all-in on targeting that community, both in Vegas, the West Coast and the islands. If that didn't work, the Hawaii coach would have been a bold move as well, with his connections. Make yourself "the destination" for Poly kids at the G5 level, in addition to always recruiting the best kids available in your footprint, and you're moving up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back