What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

***OFFICIAL 2019 CU FOOTBALL FALL CAMP THREAD***

Same.

The article made me excited that we had a real coach here, but also a bit angry about what was going on here previously.

Like... wtf.
Very angry. "it's ok you did it wrong, you will do it right eventually" sure seems like a crazy way to coach football.

Very angry. "it's ok you did it wrong, you will do it right eventually" sure seems like a crazy way to coach football.
Also having one of your tackles so light that HE recognizes that the bigger teams like USC UW and UU are simply going to bull rush him is complete bull ****. Him taking the initiative to fix it before the new staff was even here... just... what the hell were they doing up there after 2016?

Also having one of your tackles so light that HE recognizes that the bigger teams like USC UW and UU are simply going to bull rush him is complete bull ****. Him taking the initiative to fix it before the new staff was even here... just... what the hell were they doing up there after 2016?
One of the problems with the MM era is that they had interesting or innovative ideas that were not married within a cohesive scheme. As in, the whole first two seasons where they were pure sports science in the weight room with no marriage of that approach to football.

Then the OL where they had a generational talent at RB married to a small OL designed for movement that... almost never moved.

The entire concept of, “we’re playing at altitude, therefore we’re going to run hi tempo, therefore our OL need to be 20 lbs lighter than every other P5 OL, look we’re smarter than everybody” is just ridiculous. Big people move small people and they just need to get our bigger guys in good enough shape.
When CU was a powerhouse we had BIG linemen. We were still able to crush people, even at altitude. Just trying to be too smart for their own good.

orgasm.gif

Do you have a laptop full of hot chick gifs? Lmao

The entire concept of, “we’re playing at altitude, therefore we’re going to run hi tempo, therefore our OL need to be 20 lbs lighter than every other P5 OL, look we’re smarter than everybody” is just ridiculous. Big people move small people and they just need to get our bigger guys in good enough shape.
Football hasn't changed in this respective since the sport was invented. The fact they thought they could change the game that way is pretty funny. It sounds nice, but bigger will always move smaller.

Football hasn't changed in this respective since the sport was invented. The fact they thought they could change the game that way is pretty funny. It sounds nice, but bigger will always move smaller.
Yep and that is also knowing there are exceptions to this rule, but almost exclusively in the NFL, where guys are all really good players and have time to gel and work as a unit. College systems rely so much more on OL winning 1v1 matchups.

It was an over reaction, trying to out-innovate Oregon/Arizona/Cal and the like.

Not only that, but it's more exhausting for small guy to push against big guy. So I don't know that the fitness advantage ever actually becomes an advantage in a game since small guy has already been having to work a lot harder while getting his butt kicked for over 2 hours by the time crunch time arrives.

Not only that, but it's more exhausting for small guy to push against big guy. So I don't know that the fitness advantage ever actually becomes an advantage in a game since small guy has already been having to work a lot harder while getting his butt kicked for over 2 hours by the time crunch time arrives.
It only works, in theory, if you have a 10 player at OL where you can platoon. Then, sure, your speed and fresh legs should give you an advantage for 6/12 games at altitude. Less if you consider that Utah is also at altitude.

It only works, in theory, if you have a 10 player at OL where you can platoon. Then, sure, your speed and fresh legs should give you an advantage for 6/12 games at altitude. Less if you consider that Utah is also at altitude.
It also doesn't work to tire out the defense if you don't even have a run-based attack that is also moving the pocket to make those DL's run a lot on nearly every play.

The main thing I ever saw that seemed to try to capitalize on a theoretically more nimble OL was the pace of getting the next snap off with minimal rest between plays. I guess that Chev's system was also doing a lot to stretch defenses horizontally near the line of scrimmage, but we sure didn't see it gain our OL any advantages.

It also doesn't work to tire out the defense if you don't even have a run-based attack that is also moving the pocket to make those DL's run a lot on nearly every play.

The main thing I ever saw that seemed to try to capitalize on a theoretically more nimble OL was the pace of getting the next snap off with minimal rest between plays. I guess that Chev's system was also doing a lot to stretch defenses horizontally near the line of scrimmage, but we sure didn't see it gain our OL any advantages.
You almost need an up-tempo power run game, which just doesn't seem to work. Mostly because your OL is too light to get any push so you go three and out, and put your DL in a tough position.

Oh wait, I have seen that before...

You almost need an up-tempo power run game, which just doesn't seem to work. Mostly because your OL is too light to get any push so you go three and out, and put your DL in a tough position.

Oh wait, I have seen that before...
Yep. And since they knew they couldn't get a push, they tried to open holes with misdirections and influence blocks. Opponents quickly figured out that the way to beat "cute" was to attack forward while maintaining lanes. We got swarmed.

Yep. And since they knew they couldn't get a push, they tried to open holes with misdirections and influence blocks. Opponents quickly figured out that the way to beat "cute" was to attack forward while maintaining lanes. We got swarmed.
Not to pile on, but this drove me nuts. They got way too cute with their misdirection and constant pulling. Every game a DT from the other team would just run through the hole that the pulling lineman came from and just absolutely blow up the play.

Eh, they need 4 CBs who can competently rotate. With the Star position being more of a coverage responsibility than BB was, that position is likely to be on the field far more than a third CB, IMO.
Taylor stays on field when a 3rd CB comes in. Taylor moves to Money, essentially a deep ILB with responsibility for TE and RB, and JVD comes out. They play two wide DTs up front and two rush OLBs, one of which can drop.

They have multiple guys they are getting ready to play the Star position, which IMO, is in anticipation of needing that position to play a huge coverage role with such thin CB depth. Taylor, Perry, Maddox and even Blackmon all getting time there.

I envision the most prominent defensive personnel grouping being 2 CBs, 2 S, 1 Star, 2 ILB, 1 OLB, 2 DT, 1 NT
Technically one of those DTs is a DE (Lang), but yes this is the base alignment.

Not to pile on, but this drove me nuts. They got way too cute with their misdirection and constant pulling. Every game a DT from the other team would just run through the hole that the pulling lineman came from and just absolutely blow up the play.

Running misdirection with no tight end on the field and only one back in the backfield was certainly an interesting choice, especially for a team that ran straight ahead on almost every down.

Most recent practice report had a bit on safeties and Udoffia was not mentioned. Interesting that he was left out, and I wonder if he will make his way back to corner.

This should help cornerback depth:

CU coaches are taking a look at true freshman Tarik Luckett at cornerback. Recruited as a wide receiver, Luckett played DB in high school and he showed those skills Thursday. Matched against WR Daniel Arias in a 7-on-7 drill, he matched Arias stride for stride on a deep route, then went up and batted the ball away. He will add immediate depth to the position. …

Most recent practice report had a bit on safeties and Udoffia was not mentioned. Interesting that he was left out, and I wonder if he will make his way back to corner.

Is he really a contributor at either position?

CU coaches are taking a look at true freshman Tarik Luckett at cornerback. Recruited as a wide receiver, Luckett played DB in high school and he showed those skills Thursday. Matched against WR Daniel Arias in a 7-on-7 drill, he matched Arias stride for stride on a deep route, then went up and batted the ball away. He will add immediate depth to the position. …

Good move.

Thank the **** christ! I thought I was taking crazy pills.

This move makes so much sense. I hope he balls out.

Not only is he physically the biggest man on the teams but Sami may end up being the biggest factor in having a successful season. He won't have a bunch of stats but if he can hold the middle of the line of scrimmage he will free up the rest of the defense to make plays and fill gaps.

Back