What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

***OFFICIAL 2019 CU FOOTBALL FALL CAMP THREAD***

The entire concept of, “we’re playing at altitude, therefore we’re going to run hi tempo, therefore our OL need to be 20 lbs lighter than every other P5 OL, look we’re smarter than everybody” is just ridiculous. Big people move small people and they just need to get our bigger guys in good enough shape.

It might have made sense if our linemen had actually been a. Athletic and b. In shape, but watching brent tonz try to execute a trap block was like trying to watch a bear ice skate.

I have no earthly idea what mike macintyre was trying to accomplish. I doubt he even knew.

He wasn't good either. He exists on the field. I guess.
He's not what you want as a starter but as a depth piece he could be valuable. He played well enough to not be an embarrassment or an invitation for offenses to freely attack.

Other than the teams which freely attacked last season?
We have had some much worse players out there at DB over the past decade and a half. As stated I wouldn't want him to be my starter but he was thrown in as a young player and while he gave up some plays he also made some.

Not in any way arguing that he is a good player or the level of player I want to see on our depth chart in the future but all things considered we could do (and have done) worse.

We have had some much worse players out there at DB over the past decade and a half. As stated I wouldn't want him to be my starter but he was thrown in as a young player and while he gave up some plays he also made some.

Not in any way arguing that he is a good player or the level of player I want to see on our depth chart in the future but all things considered we could do (and have done) worse.

Who cares about a 15 years ago?

And he started several games as a redshirt freshman and some more as a redshirt sophomore. I know it scares the **** out of you to see anyone on the field who is an underclassman, but plenty of players do it every year for every team.

Who cares about a 15 years ago?

And he started several games as a redshirt freshman and some more as a redshirt sophomore. I know it scares the **** out of you to see anyone on the field who is an underclassman, but plenty of players do it every year for every team.
I don't mind young players on the field when you are recruiting players who are good enough to play early.

As a starter he wasn't the quality of player you would want starting for a quality team but I saw a guy who wasn't an embarrassment.

My point is that at this point, in a transitional year I'd rather have him on the depth chart than not have him there. He isn't a great player but I think he is better than you give him credit for.

Let's hope the starters stay healthy and we don't have to find out who is right.

Between Rakestraw and Udoffia, who would you rather see on the field? I only ask because my personal opinion is that Rakestraw is terrible.

Another quick question. Haven't been paying attention quite as much as in years past. Is Valentin Senn on campus or not?

Hawg, how do you feel about the fact that the first team O-line has Pursell back at Center?
Not thrilled at all. It appears he’s one of the four best so far, however. Lynott has more versatility, thus he seems a better choice at G and Sherman at C. Sherman needs reps si it also makes sense to give them to him at his most likely position. I don’t like the way he looked against Sami last Saturday. The NU nose is going to be a big challenge for him IMO.

Not thrilled at all. It appears he’s one of the four best so far, however. Lynott has more versatility, thus he seems a better choice at G and Sherman at C. Sherman needs reps si it also makes sense to give them to him at his most likely position. I don’t like the way he looked against Sami last Saturday. The NU nose is going to be a big challenge for him IMO.
Who is the NU nose this year? Stoltenberg is gone if I'm not mistaken.

They have multiple guys they are getting ready to play the Star position, which IMO, is in anticipation of needing that position to play a huge coverage role with such thin CB depth. Taylor, Perry, Maddox and even Blackmon all getting time there.

I envision the most prominent defensive personnel grouping being 2 CBs, 2 S, 1 Star, 2 ILB, 1 OLB, 2 DT, 1 NT
The Star position is a huge part of the Tucker concept, and it's importance has nothing to do with the thin CB depth.

The Star requires a rare blend of talents and finding 3 guys who can play this position and learn it (there's a lot of situational stuff as Hawg explained), is certainly one of the great challenges for August.

The Star position is a huge part of the Tucker concept, and it's importance has nothing to do with the thin CB depth.

The Star requires a rare blend of talents and finding 3 guys who can play this position and learn it (there's a lot of situational stuff as Hawg explained), is certainly one of the great challenges for August.
So I finally thought I had Sam and Mike figured out. What is star position?

Effectively a Will (Weakside LB), but manned with personnel that is somewhere between a small fast LB and a Big Safety ideally....so that you can disguise blitzes and be more effective in coverage. that's my read on it anyway. @hawg1 has studied it more thoroughly, and might have a different opinion.

Rodman running with the 1's suggests there's a reason why Lang not getting mentioned. Could be limited at the moment due to injury or another reason. Good news is Rodman showing up. He had a puzzling recruitment as he played at St. Johns Bosco (#2 in the nation), had good film and measurables, but seemingly shared time in a rotation and despite good size, didn't really garner much attention beyond CU, Boston College and Minnesota at the P5 level. You don't find too many under-the-radar guys coming from programs like that.

My broader point was that I don’t think the defense will be rolling with 3 true CBs on most plays, as it was suggested, mostly because the Star has natural slot coverage responsibilities. Obviously things change a bit when they play WSU and USC.

@Bill Cody pretty much nailed it.

Easiest way to think of it for me is to look at like our base defense is a Nickel. Unlike under Leavitt, that extra DB is an oversized safety instead of a cornerback. The player's expected to get much more involved in pass rush and run support gap responsibilities than you'd see with a CB Nickel (who is usually your smallest, quickest corner to cover a Welker type out of the slot).

Of note from Howell yesterday was something he has been hearing around the team and specifically from Summers, about how the team is responding to a new coaching staff.

I hadn't really thought about this regarding buy-in and motivation, but there are some advantages with that 1st year. The players have a good chip on their shoulders because they take it personally that their performance got the previous staff fired. They get that message loud and clear that they need to do things better.

Beyond that, there's also the fresh start aspect of knowing you either have to re-earn your job or that you have a clean slate to impress new coaches if you had previously been buried on the depth chart.

This dynamic is naturally causing an uptick in their commitment to S&C training, film study, extra skill or playbook work, and practice habits. I think this team is probably getting an extra boost from the 7 game losing streak being a huge monkey on their backs that they've been stewing about for 9 months.

What we need to hope is that these positives outweigh the negatives of having to develop chemistry with new coaches and a new system.

Of note from Howell yesterday was something he has been hearing around the team and specifically from Summers, about how the team is responding to a new coaching staff.

I hadn't really thought about this regarding buy-in and motivation, but there are some advantages with that 1st year. The players have a good chip on their shoulders because they take it personally that their performance got the previous staff fired. They get that message loud and clear that they need to do things better.

Beyond that, there's also the fresh start aspect of knowing you either have to re-earn your job or that you have a clean slate to impress new coaches if you had previously been buried on the depth chart.

This dynamic is naturally causing an uptick in their commitment to S&C training, film study, extra skill or playbook work, and practice habits. I think this team is probably getting an extra boost from the 7 game losing streak being a huge monkey on their backs that they've been stewing about for 9 months.

What we need to hope is that these positives outweigh the negatives of having to develop chemistry with new coaches and a new system.
CMT has mentioned that he has not brought up the 7 game losing streak last year, but he knows it is motivating his team. We will see how it works out soon enough.

@Bill Cody pretty much nailed it.

Easiest way to think of it for me is to look at like our base defense is a Nickel. Unlike under Leavitt, that extra DB is an oversized safety instead of a cornerback. The player's expected to get much more involved in pass rush and run support gap responsibilities than you'd see with a CB Nickel (who is usually your smallest, quickest corner to cover a Welker type out of the slot).
I wouldn’t even say it has to be a particular size, although with UGA recruiting you can be pretty picky and put some prototypes there. To me, the Star position is basically the defense’s most versatile player. If Taylor can put it together mentally and get the basic coverage fundamentals, I think he could be as close to ideal as possible. The closest player I think we’ve seen at CU these last 5-6 years that fit that role is probably Chido

I would add, that I also hope this staff tapers the team off enough in advance of the RMS, in order to avoid a repeat of what happened in 1999. That team had no legs for the first few games of the year because of the camp they went through with Barnett in his first year.

Back