What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

***OFFICIAL 2019 CU FOOTBALL FALL CAMP THREAD***

I would add, that I also hope this staff tapers the team off enough in advance of the RMS, in order to avoid a repeat of what happened in 1999. That team had no legs for the first few games of the year because of the camp they went through with Barnett in his first year.

It’s a very fine line between being soft and running the legs off. That will be part of MT’s learning curve. I hope, like you do, he manages that well. I’m not worried about losing to CSU, but those guys need to be ready when the corn come to Boulder.

I would add, that I also hope this staff tapers the team off enough in advance of the RMS, in order to avoid a repeat of what happened in 1999. That team had no legs for the first few games of the year because of the camp they went through with Barnett in his first year.
Yeah. That's the worry that creeps in for me, especially when I hear that the philosophy is that the practices should be harder than the games. My hope with that is that Tucker has been an interim HC in the NFL a couple times and run those practices, so he should be well schooled in how to achieve that balance of also keeping guys fresh and healthy. We won't know until we see them play, though. And I think we should also accept an expectation that HCMT is also on a learning curve with running his own program -- he'll be a better coach in 2020 than he will be in 2019 as he continues to improve his craft.

That last sentence in the quote within that context reads to me "Adams had no ****ing clue what he was doing and was too busy ****-tweeting the fan base on twitter. We now have a real o-line coach."

Corrected. At least in my case.

6 practices in the first 7 days basically requires a taper towards the end of camp

It’s a very fine line between being soft and running the legs off. That will be part of MT’s learning curve. I hope, like you do, he manages that well. I’m not worried about losing to CSU, but those guys need to be ready when the corn come to Boulder.

I gotta think he will-especially when it comes to the part of camp where the coaches start putting in their gameplan for CSU.

@Bill Cody pretty much nailed it.

Easiest way to think of it for me is to look at like our base defense is a Nickel. Unlike under Leavitt, that extra DB is an oversized safety instead of a cornerback. The player's expected to get much more involved in pass rush and run support gap responsibilities than you'd see with a CB Nickel (who is usually your smallest, quickest corner to cover a Stanley type out of the slot).
Koolaid fix (y)

6 practices in the first 7 days basically requires a taper towards the end of camp
Yeah, don’t they have a limit on number of practices during Camp? I’m assuming they will get some rest days leading up to the final week before CSU when the main install/game plan is done, and then get into the season practice routine.

Yes, all teams have restrictions on numbers and length of practices, how many in full pads, etc.

MT is going to use the UGA blueprint.

My broader point was that I don’t think the defense will be rolling with 3 true CBs on most plays, as it was suggested, mostly because the Star has natural slot coverage responsibilities. Obviously things change a bit when they play WSU and USC.
The fact that Mehki Blackmon is working at Star at 165 lbs might make you re-think that!

Effectively a Will (Weakside LB), but manned with personnel that is somewhere between a small fast LB and a Big Safety ideally....so that you can disguise blitzes and be more effective in coverage. that's my read on it anyway. @hawg1 has studied it more thoroughly, and might have a different opinion.
Perfect description. Google Kirby Smart 3-4 defense for deep dive.

@Bill Cody pretty much nailed it.

Easiest way to think of it for me is to look at like our base defense is a Nickel. Unlike under Leavitt, that extra DB is an oversized safety instead of a cornerback. The player's expected to get much more involved in pass rush and run support gap responsibilities than you'd see with a CB Nickel (who is usually your smallest, quickest corner to cover a Welker type out of the slot).
Yep. Me too. Base is nickel. Third CB is dime.

Anyone have any insights into the WR rotations? With all the Arias praise, is he simply rotating with Nixon, or is Nixon moving inside when Arias is on the field?

Anyone have any insights into the WR rotations? With all the Arias praise, is he simply rotating with Nixon, or is Nixon moving inside when Arias is on the field?
Both Nixon and Viska were inside during various sets last Saturday. I couldn’t make rhyme nor reason where nor when the various groupings and alignments were used. I also saw them signaling to each other pre-play. Gonna be a force to deal with.

I don’t have any insights but my guess is that he’d be rotating with Tony Brown. Viska and K.D. will always be the starting X and Z unless Arias is just so good he’s taking Nixon’s playing time. No reason to take Stanley off the field for K.D. when Stanley is built for that role.

It is definitely that time of year. I’m convinced we’re going to be good. I swear that despite all setbacks and logic, every year the b and g sunglasses go on and the kool aid gets chugged.

Let’s bowl and pull some upsets and recruit like mofos.

Scrimmage on deck. I expect some more ink on the pencil depth chart heading into next week’s practices. HCMT said today that some guys are starting to separate.

not a whole lot of substance in podcast 1, but I do like the idea of this thing. It will be cool to get a bit more info about the inside ops of the football program.

RG's joke about needing to edit his response to his recruiting efforts back in the glory days...

giphy.gif

not a whole lot of substance in podcast 1, but I do like the idea of this thing. It will be cool to get a bit more info about the inside ops of the football program.

Is this just preseason? It’ll be telling if they’re this forthcoming come season time if we’re losing. I want to see the accountability tbh, but I don’t doubt Tucker, he’s definitely a no bull**** guy.

Back