What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

***OFFICIAL 2019 CU FOOTBALL FALL CAMP THREAD***

Watching Adam's video from today, he mentioned Brumbaugh not expecting any freshmen DL to redshirt. Is that coachspeak or are we really playing all four more than four games in 2019?

Watching Adam's video from today, he mentioned Brumbaugh not expecting any freshmen DL to redshirt. Is that coachspeak or are we really playing all four more than four games in 2019?

With the lack of depth on the interior, are there even numbers to enable a non-injury red shirt?

Coach speak I'd presume as they need to prepare to play, but 1-2 may end up in 4 games or less. Coach wants a mindset that they are playing.
But this could also mean that the two Jucos are not impressing.

As to the numbers, they can get thru with 6 if they were to avoid injuries. There's 10 there counting 1 redshirt. You don't have to go 3 deep in a game barring injury.

Coach speak I'd presume as they need to prepare to play, but 1-2 may end up in 4 games or less. Coach wants a mindset that they are playing.
But this could also mean that the two Jucos are not impressing.

As to the numbers, they can get thru with 6 if they were to avoid injuries. There's 10 there counting 1 redshirt. You don't have to go 3 deep in a game barring injury.

Coach Tucker has emphasized the need for competition all during camp. Im sure he doesnt mind the players thinking the 3 freshmen arent being redshirted, regardless of whether he actually plans to redshirt them.

Coach Tucker has emphasized the need for competition all during camp. Im sure he doesnt mind the players thinking the 3 freshmen arent being redshirted, regardless of whether he actually plans to redshirt them.
But there's four! But yeah. Need them all mentally preparing.

I’m going to guess that all four play, and are part of a regular rotation. That tells me a couple things: one, the starters will need some relief from time to time and they aren’t going to worry about burning a redshirt when doing so would make doing that more difficult; and two, the plan is to recruit higher rated players down the road and they don’t want these guys taking a scholarship in year five.

I’m going to guess that all four play, and are part of a regular rotation. That tells me a couple things: one, the starters will need some relief from time to time and they aren’t going to worry about burning a redshirt when doing so would make doing that more difficult; and two, the plan is to recruit higher rated players down the road and they don’t want these guys taking a scholarship in year five.

You pretty much read my mind with this comment. We recruited them to play and what’s the point of having zero depth and redshirting guys? Show them you trust them to make a play, get them experience and hope it works out. We won’t be any better off if they’re sitting on the bench.

You pretty much read my mind with this comment. We recruited them to play and what’s the point of having zero depth and redshirting guys? Show them you trust them to make a play, get them experience and hope it works out. We won’t be any better off if they’re sitting on the bench.

Would counterpoint that it will be very hard to maintain class balance down the road if all four burn their redshirts.

Murray would be the best candidate to redshirt. Reading between the lines of what little we’ve heard about him, he would benefit from a year of getting into shape.

Murray would be the best candidate to redshirt. Reading between the lines of what little we’ve heard about him, he would benefit from a year of getting into shape.
I've seen no information to know about Murray at this point, unless I missed something on a paid site. What's your source that he's out of shape?

Sounds great with Georgia DL talent...
It’s all pure speculation anyway, but I get the impression that he’s pretty happy with the guys at the top of the depth chart, but knows they can’t play every snap. They will cycle the new guys in a lot, but some combination of two of Johnson, Sami and Lang will usually be in the game, with one of the new guys spelling the third seems like a logical approach.

Regarding the DLs, my guess is that MT's comment was coachspeak. At this point, he needs to have some of the freshmen ready to play and none of them have separated enough negatively to be marked as a redshirt... yet. It's coming soon, though. I suspect that 2 of the DTs will redshirt and we'll have an appropriate class balance - for once - as we head into 2020.

Regarding the RBs, I think Mangham is a given at this point. The question is who will be his primary battery mate. Smith seems like the guy who runs at a different tempo who also as the size and style to finish runs the way MT demands from the position. I assume it will be mostly those guys carrying the load this year.

Would counterpoint that it will be very hard to maintain class balance down the road if all four burn their redshirts.
It would do that, would mean that in four years if all stay that you have a bubble leaving at the same time forcing another class of potentially taking B level recruits to fill spots.
Also I know you like to play guys early and if they are physically and mentally ready I agree but a lot of HS kids turn out not to be, don't want to waste a year of eligibility when a kid isn't ready to contribute

Ideally they would rotate them through games getting each of these guys their four allowed games without losing a year. The kid or kids who are ready to contribute and play significant time use. If you need to use them more than that due to injury or better if one or more is ready to contribute and is the best option to win then certainly burn that year.

What I don't want to see is kids losing a year of eligibility for five play a game or garbage time.

I've heard Broussard mentioned a few times and he definitely gives them a different look, so I'd expect him to play but situationally perhaps (pass catching, lots of wiggle). I'd expect that the Valor kid will redshirt. And I think the other three RBs will fight for the prototypical RB carries available, potentially all of them getting some work to see who gets hot. If there's separation before we break camp among those 3, then we may see less of a committee approach. Having at least 2 healthy guys at all times is pretty important.

The question (which you've stated a few times) is whether we have 3-5 good RBs who are all doing well, or do we just have 3-5 guys that are mediocre and are thus not separating themselves? We will have to see how this looks come after some real games. Kind of like with both lines.

As far as Luckett, easy to understand how he could make an instant impact. Guy played CB in the Trinity League in high school and was getting Pac-12 looks at CB. That move should pay off early.

Definitely agree but I’m looking it as a biased fan. You throw it all on the table and win at all costs sooner rather than later. Winning helps recruiting, good recruiting translates to more winning. But there’s a logical way to handle the classes and I’m not pretending to be following that lol.

Back