What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

***OFFICIAL 2019 CU FOOTBALL FALL CAMP THREAD***

He was a stud his Junior year, but seemed to regress (or maybe his competition caught up?) his Senior year

Cathedral played against a softer OOC schedule then KSU. Once in league play, their offense was shut down by mediocre teams. Bryce Young transferred to Mater Dei, smart move.

For fun, compare that to our 2012 WR roster heading into 2012, keep in mind Richardson would miss that season.

Spring Roster: Tyler McCulloch (So.)

It was pretty clear where the state-of-the-program was at that time because when McCulloch graduated the CU boards were all fired up about getting a WR to replace his role. It is really nice that we don't have discussions like that anymore at the WR position.

It was pretty clear where the state-of-the-program was at that time because when McCulloch graduated the CU boards were all fired up about getting a WR to replace his role. It is really nice that we don't have discussions like that anymore at the WR position.
I think it's nice that we don't really have discussions like that anymore at any position, save for DB this year. For all his faults, MM certainly left the roster in far better shape than Hawkins or Embree (not that those are high bars to clear).

Absolutely brutal depth chart. Well done Hawkins/Embree. Whenever I hear "burned to the ground" casually thrown around the world of sports, I mentally use that 2012 roster as a yard stick. Very little of it measures up.

I normally stay out of this backward bitching anymore, but your comments seem to be a good representative example of what many posters write about. Frankly, Hawkins and Embree were not the problem, they were just symptoms. The problem was the state of CU football as delivered to us by Barnett, Tharp, Byyny, and Albino when they cut the feet and torso out of under the program with their punitive and devastating restrictions on account of their reactions to the "scandal". Bohn stoked the fire by hiring guys like Hawkins and Embree, two guys that had no business being hired to the HC position at CU. I remember calling it a nuclear winter when the recruiting restrictions were first announced and here we are a decade and a half later and the fallout is finally receding. The team of George, Carl and Tucker is the sign of green shoots and the possibility that the future can be bright.

I normally stay out of this backward bitching anymore, but your comments seem to be a good representative example of what many posters write about. Frankly, Hawkins and Embree were not the problem, they were just symptoms. The problem was the state of CU football as delivered to us by Barnett, Tharp, Byyny, and Albino when they cut the feet and torso out of under the program with their punitive and devastating restrictions on account of their reactions to the "scandal". Bohn stoked the fire by hiring guys like Hawkins and Embree, two guys that had no business being hired to the HC position at CU. I remember calling it a nuclear winter when the recruiting restrictions were first announced and here we are a decade and a half later and the fallout is finally receding. The team of George, Carl and Tucker is the sign of green shoots and the possibility that the future can be bright.

Nail on the head. There was one season IIRC that recruits had to bring parents along. Just an absurd over-reaction to what was a questionable scandal to begin with.

Ultra Sweetened Kool-Aid Warning!!

I am increasing appreciating everything HCMT and his staff are doing. They are going to work to get something out of everyone on this team. I love this approach: " Hey, you are buried on the depth chart at OL or WR, you may help the team with some quality depth at DL or DB." Of course, this is not uncommon, but I loved this morning's comment about finding ways to bring every player up, working on each player's specific needs, to add to the team, as a point of focus. I feel like the last coaching staff didn't view its players in this way; instead, they focused on seniors and starters, and played them into the ground. (Ento is in an NFL camp as a DB!) I am still ticked off at the lack of quality game reps for either of our backup QBs. That's just bad player management. There were tons of times to get those two into games and get Montez out of harm's way.

I'm also very high on the expectations for this team this year. All the important pieces of the 5-0 team are back (except Trevon). That was a essentially a bowl team (if you presume just reasonable coaching could have avoided a loss to OSC after being up by 31 points mid-way through the 3rd quarter). Sure, this is a harder schedule and that team collapsed, but I don't place that collapse on the players as much as on the coaches. It was clear that every defense we faced from USC on knew what plays we were running prior to the snap. That's coaching. The porous OL was the result of horrible choices by the coaching staff: picking Adams as OL coach, the flawed concept of having 270lb OL so we can pursue the illusion of an up-tempo offense (which never gets started when most first downs are negative plays because the OL is getting bull-rushed into the backfield), and the lack of any real depth on either line through recruiting. All of which lead to the inevitable: one or two injuries cratered the team's chances in every game.

This year, we roll a fifth year senior, NFL-draft likely, QB with a Heisman quality WR. A 300lb+ average OL. Including defense, I don't remember a year with so many players on "watch-lists" since the days when bowls were assumed.

Yes, depth will be the big issue, but HCMT realized that the first day he looked at our roster. Clearly, he's been working the problem ever since.

Can't wait two more weeks. Losing it!!!

Go Buffs!!

With the Scrimmage today, we’ll definitely see most, if not all, starting positions pretty much locked up and announced by practice on Monday. What predictions do you have for the first group out on both sides in 13 days?

QB - Montez
RB - Mangham
TE - Harris
TE - Russell
WR - Viska
WR - Arias
LT - Hambright
LG - Kutsch
C - Pursell
RG - Lynott
RT - Sherman

DL - Lang
NT - Sami
DL - Mustafa
OLB - Wells
Star - Taylor
ILB - Landman
ILB - Van Diest
CB - Abrams
CB - Blackmon
S - Maddox
S - Onu

I think the positions that are mostly still undecided or that I haven’t heard much about are RB, LG, OLB, and one of the S spots opposite of Maddox, who has seemed to play himself into getting the first chance early on.

With the Scrimmage today, we’ll definitely see most, if not all, starting positions pretty much locked up and announced by practice on Monday. What predictions do you have for the first group out on both sides in 13 days?

QB - Montez
RB - Mangham
TE - Harris
TE - Russell
WR - Viska
WR - Arias
LT - Hambright
LG - Kutsch
C - Pursell
RG - Lynott
RT - Sherman

DL - Lang
NT - Sami
DL - Mustafa
OLB - Wells
Star - Taylor
ILB - Landman
ILB - Van Diest
CB - Abrams
CB - Blackmon
S - Maddox
S - Onu

I think the positions that are mostly still undecided or that I haven’t heard much about are RB, LG, OLB, and one of the S spots opposite of Maddox, who has seemed to play himself into getting the first chance early on.
That confident that Arias has taken over Nixon? Otherwise, not going to take the time to simply copy and paste your predictions.

QB - Montez
RB - Mangham
TE - Harris
TE - Russell
WR - Viska
WR - Arias
LT - Hambright
LG - Kutsch
C - Pursell
RG - Lynott
RT - Sherman

DL - Lang
NT - Sami
DL - Mustafa
OLB - Wells
Star - Taylor
ILB - Landman
ILB - Van Diest
CB - Abrams
CB - Blackmon
S - Maddox
S - Onu

Great content. There is a thread dedicated to this, just saying.

Reactions: wip
How can that be known yet?
Dude. It’s just a prediction. Arias has been the one guy on the entire team that Tucker has specifically praised seemingly on a daily basis. Chev has said he would hang with Viska in a race and has dramatically improved from last season. The tea leaves suggest he’s going to be a big part of the offense this year and a WR duo of him and Viska would be extremely tough for any team to stop. KD is a really good player as well, but doesn’t bring the same physical presence that Arias does. It’s just my prediction. Perhaps you’d be happier if I posted this in the Bold Prediction thread?

I don’t know, I think Arias has impressed and forced his way on the field in 2 WR sets. That’s another toss up position, IMO
I think we need to get away from looking at “1st string” with this group. I think the top 6 guys are all gonna get a ton of snaps depending on packages, matchups, etc....and I think Viska, KD, Arias will all get an equal amount of snaps when it’s all said and done. Who trots our onto the field first is irrelevant IMO

I think we need to get away from looking at “1st string” with this group. I think the top 6 guys are all gonna get a ton of snaps depending on packages, matchups, etc....and I think Viska, KD, Arias will all get an equal amount of snaps when it’s all said and done. Who trots our onto the field first is irrelevant IMO
This is just who I believe will be the “starters” come snap #1 in two weeks. I understand there are multiple position groups that will have regular rotations (WR, RB, DL, LB) and each group will completely depend on which personnel groupings are being used.

This is just who I believe will be the “starters” come snap #1 in two weeks. I understand there are multiple position groups that will have regular rotations (WR, RB, DL, LB) and each group will completely depend on which personnel groupings are being used.
I should have been more clear. I wasn’t really disagreeing with your prediction. Your prediction simply triggered a thought that I’ve had regarding how I really think position groups with legit depth will be handled by this staff, and how a depth chart means much less in those situations. It’s really smart, if you can do it....because it keeps young talent engaged and feeling like they’re contributing.

Dude. It’s just a prediction. Arias has been the one guy on the entire team that Tucker has specifically praised seemingly on a daily basis. Chev has said he would hang with Viska in a race and has dramatically improved from last season. The tea leaves suggest he’s going to be a big part of the offense this year and a WR duo of him and Viska would be extremely tough for any team to stop. KD is a really good player as well, but doesn’t bring the same physical presence that Arias does. It’s just my prediction. Perhaps you’d be happier if I posted this in the Bold Prediction thread?
If he can emerge, and a TE steps up, look the **** out. Then KD out there.:D . It's like Nik said, it will open up everything, running game, too.

Back