What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2022 Bowl Games Thread

I despised Lou Holtz speech about us way back in the day cause it was a low and pathetic blow
I just did not like Kirby's speech cause it was so out of control and in the same way a low blow to TCU. His speech was about motivation not to fail after all the hard work they have gone through, but I think it was also a bit of "We can never lose to this crappy TCU team ever cause it will hurt all of our legacies"
To each his own, just wonder how that type of speech would play at CU, and despite some challenges that Prime could still face within the University hierarchy, knowing that he speaks to the players in a different way is what is great about him
My father was my idol, and I respected the hell out of him, and he never cussed me out, and he "hit" me (smack or spank) 3 times, and each one of those was good for about 2-3 years of good behavior till I would mess up again.
Given the outcome of the contest, it appears that Kirby’s speech was a much more accurate appraisal of each side’s abilities than whatever word salad you’ve presented above.

Given the outcome of the contest, it appears that Kirby’s speech was a much more accurate appraisal of each side’s abilities than whatever word salad you’ve presented above.
Georgia would have won with Karl Dorrell coaching them
Prime does not cuss, Coach McCartney did not cuss, so we shall see how this goes
I despise Georgia and Alabama football anyway, so I hope we can meet them someday when we are ready to beat them with equal motivated talent

1673559816198.png

Prime does not cuss, Coach McCartney did not cuss, so we shall see how this goes
I despise Georgia and Alabama football anyway, so I hope we can meet them someday when we are ready to beat them with equal motivated talent

View attachment 57873
Georgia would not have beaten TCU with Karl Dorrell coaching them because he would not have recruited the top 3 classes Kirby has consistently recruited.

If you seriously think Karl Dorrell would have won with the exact same Georgia team, you really do not understand why Smart has won so big there.
His staff recruits is the simple answer for his success...It would be interesting to find out how many in home visits Kirby does each cycle.
When you win....you offer 3 four star RBs one emerges one gets their backup snaps...the 3rd transfers.

You just invalidated anything intelligent you might accidently post sometime in the future.
If Karl Dorell was standing like a Cardboard Statue on that sideline on Monday night, and there was no pregame speech coming out of his mouth, and that team ran onto the field and played TCU, the same result would have happened.

All of you guys should focus on my point about the Speech itself and the results of Monday's game only.

Did Kirby get 3 top recruiting classes and more to build this team = YES
Did Kirby and his staff coach them to two straight Natty's - YES
Did Kirby need to have an expletive-filled pregame speech to pump up his guys - NO
Do I like having Prime as our Head Coach far above having Kirby Smart - GOLLY GEE WILLIKERS I SURE DO

If Karl Dorell was standing like a Cardboard Statue on that sideline on Monday night, and there was no pregame speech coming out of his mouth, and that team ran onto the field and played TCU, the same result would have happened.

All of you guys should focus on my point about the Speech itself and the results of Monday's game only.

Did Kirby get 3 top recruiting classes and more to build this team = YES
Did Kirby and his staff coach them to two straight Natty's - YES
Did Kirby need to have an expletive-filled pregame speech to pump up his guys - NO
Do I like having Prime as our Head Coach far above having Kirby Smart - GOLLY GEE WILLIKERS I SURE DO
You don’t understand a fundamental component to communication: audience adaptation. Kirby knows the players on his team far better than you do. He understands what motivates them and what de-motivates them. The speech he gave was intentional. The tone, the words, the theme - all of it was designed to motivate his team to rip TCU’s fuc!king heads off. The effectiveness of his message is not in doubt.

You don’t understand a fundamental component to communication: audience adaptation. Kirby knows the players on his team far better than you do. He understands what motivates them and what de-motivates them. The speech he gave was intentional. The tone, the words, the theme - all of it was designed to motivate his team to rip TCU’s fuc!king heads off. The effectiveness of his message is not in doubt.
I do not disagree with you one ounce. Your comments are a perfect reflection of reality.

Kirby built his audience and thus his audience is adapted to those words. Coaches have the ultimate responsibility to create the tone as you said. I am simply not for his choice of words, but I respect his results. I had a fellow coach in my lifetime that did not have to curse but was able to do some psychological warfare with his teams that I thought was very unhealthy, you could call it mindfukking, but his players and his teams played harder than almost any team I watched or played against, and I respect him for his performance but really did not love his methods.

I do not disagree with you one ounce. Your comments are a perfect reflection of reality.

Kirby built his audience and thus his audience is adapted to those words. Coaches have the ultimate responsibility to create the tone as you said. I am simply not for his choice of words, but I respect his results. I had a fellow coach in my lifetime that did not have to curse but was able to do some psychological warfare with his teams that I thought was very unhealthy, you could call it mindfukking, but his players and his teams played harder than almost any team I watched or played against, and I respect him for his performance but really did not love his methods.
You should be glad that you don’t work for me.

His staff recruits is the simple answer for his success...It would be interesting to find out how many in home visits Kirby does each cycle.
When you win....you offer 3 four star RBs one emerges one gets their backup snaps...the 3rd transfers.
To extend the point, if a guy doesn't earn PT before the end of his 3rd year in your program, there's a high likelihood you want him to transfer

It seems like your only issue is with the swears, which is really weird to me. Either way, I would point out that:
- even though Coach Prime does not cuss, he still can lay into players pretty hard. He is old school, by his own admission
- even though Coach Prime does not cuss, his players still get cussed at all the time. There is a reason that there is a Language warning attached to the Coach Prime program, and I'm guessing that we do not see the worst of it on there.
- I am not a former player, so I cannot say this definitively, but I have been told that Coach Mac could and did cuss up a blue streak in team only settings.

By the way, I would rather have my father cuss me out than to lay hands on me, but to each their own.

I'm ****ing done with this now.

I don’t believe a pregame speech has much influence over a game, but serves to focus the team to execute everything they’ve practiced up to that point. If a player has reached the title game he’s already going to be trying his best and in-game decisions and events will dominate whatever the coach blathers on about pregame. Making a great play or trash talk with an opponent probably matters a lot more.

Big speeches will set a tone, but are far more important in recruiting and public facing moments than whatever is said five minutes before getting on the field.

I don’t believe a pregame speech has much influence over a game, but serves to focus the team to execute everything they’ve practiced up to that point. If a player has reached the title game he’s already going to be trying his best and in-game decisions and events will dominate whatever the coach blathers on about pregame. Making a great play or trash talk with an opponent probably matters a lot more.

Big speeches will set a tone, but are far more important in recruiting and public facing moments than whatever is said five minutes before getting on the field.
Good point. I don't think I remember a single pregame speech by a coach. I do remember the emotional tone different coaches set.

A good pregame speech can alleviate a lot of tension.

If you seriously think Karl Dorrell would have won with the exact same Georgia team, you really do not understand why Smart has won so big there.
There is no question that Georgia was a significantly superior team in terms of talent at most position groups. Georgia
would win the match-up with TCU 9.5 times out of 10.

That doesn't mean that Smart's coaching isn't important. No matter how much talent you have scheme matters, focus matters, motivation matters, ability to adapt to what the opponent is doing matters. Based on all of these and on what we watched here with the Buffs I'm in no way convinced that the Georgia talent difference would be able to overcome KD's coaching. My guess is that with KD instead of Kirby those odds would go to at least 6.5 out of 10 in favor of TCU.

All that said the focus on a pre-game speech is somewhere between overblown and ridiculous. We are supposed to think that had Kirby simply gone in and said "Have a great game boys, let's go." that somehow these Georgia players would not have been focused or motivated for the National Championship game.

Yes they were motivated and focused and prepared but it wasn't because of a speech prior to the game, it was because of a culture developed by Smart and his staff over an entire season if not multiple seasons. In short the pre-game speech makes a great show for TV, it may even influence some high school recruits. The actual impact on the result of the game was minimal at best.

Good point. I don't think I remember a single pregame speech by a coach. I do remember the emotional tone different coaches set.
This.

IMO this is one of the reasons Nue failed as a coach - he never understood that emotions can often play a difference in college football games, especially between equally talented teams, and then he further exacerbated this by failing to set a good emotional tone for big games. His teams were competent, generally played well, but never really rose to the occasion in really big games - and a large part of the reason for that was because they came out of the locker room emotionally flat.

Kirby, OTOH, gets this.

This.

IMO this is one of the reasons Nue failed as a coach - he never understood that emotions can often play a difference in college football games, especially between equally talented teams, and then he further exacerbated this by failing to set a good emotional tone for big games. His teams were competent, generally played well, but never really rose to the occasion in really big games - and a large part of the reason for that was because they came out of the locker room emotionally flat.

Kirby, OTOH, gets this.
I made many similar mistakes in my first leadership role. Corporate says we should do this, so just add that to your agenda.

Yeah, I wasn’t the greatest at that point.

This.

Kirby, OTOH, gets this.
I would agree but I would contend that the emotional tone you are talking about came long before the pre-game speech. It started the first time the team did a revue of prior weeks film and looked at the next opponent. It was built on the practice field and in the meeting rooms, it was pumped in the team meeting the night prior to the game.

Not saying a pre-game speech can't provide some emotional lift for some guys but at this level if they aren't already most of the way there a speech will make no difference.

I would agree but I would contend that the emotional tone you are talking about came long before the pre-game speech. It started the first time the team did a revue of prior weeks film and looked at the next opponent. It was built on the practice field and in the meeting rooms, it was pumped in the team meeting the night prior to the game.

Not saying a pre-game speech can't provide some emotional lift for some guys but at this level if they aren't already most of the way there a speech will make no difference.
I agree. Nue's approach to emotion was "no highs, no lows" that's not great.

Back