What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2023-24 MBB Season Thread

Cody Williams FR
Courtney Anderson FR
Assane Diop FR
RJ Smith FR
Joe Hurlburt SO
Quincy Allen SO
Javon Ruffin SO
KJ Simpson JR
Julian Hammond JR
Lawson Lovering JR
Nique Clifford SR
J'Vonne Hadley SR
Luke O'Brien SR
Tristan DaSilva SR

Look At Us Paul Rudd GIF by First We Feast: Hot Ones
UPDATED.

So what are everyone's thought on what kind of impact Deion will have on our beloved hoops program. It probably will help with recruiting right? Money for facilities? Anything else?

So what are everyone's thought on what kind of impact Deion will have on our beloved hoops program. It probably will help with recruiting right? Money for facilities? Anything else?

More attention and exposure for CU only helps.
yep, a lot of people are going to become active, participating "CU fans". just having CU athletics mentioned in the media, on sports talk, etc.. will be a rising tide that lifts all ships.

some people will say that a recruit or two might shy away from CU because they don't want to play hoops at a "football school", but I'm not sure we're recruiting those guys anyway.

CU is now a 'cool' destination, it's a huge change.

One play, one drive ... one dunk. WOW on the Allen dunk. Could be the best player on the team. Just needs some playing time.

He looked great. Against CSU's backups and walkons. With a 25 pt lead.

He also looked lost AF on defense.

Lets pump those brakes just a little.

Quincy is such an athlete that he makes things look effortless. I'm going to try to remember that when I see him and don't love his body language. He does stand there with his arms down too much when the action isn't to his area. But, man, what he's able to do is next level.

Quincy is such an athlete that he makes things look effortless. I'm going to try to remember that when I see him and don't love his body language. He does stand there with his arms down too much when the action isn't to his area. But, man, what he's able to do is next level.
There's no doubt what he brings. But if he doesn't figure out the D side of things, he's never going to see the court.

Let's hope him playing means whatever the true issue with him is, it's finally reaching a resolution. Someone with his athleticism could be EXACTLY what this team needs. That being said, if they can figure out how to actually try, like they did last night, I'd argue you don't need QA.

I absolutely love Tad, but honestly, Tad may need to evolve his coaching style and turn on the finishing skills to take this 23/24 and 24/25 teams to the promised land. He has always been in development mode over and over, but it is time to win, period

I absolutely love Tad, but honestly, Tad may need to evolve his coaching style and turn on the finishing skills to take this 23/24 and 24/25 teams to the promised land. He has always been in development mode over and over, but it is time to win, period

couldn’t agree more

what does make me happy is seeing how stoked the bench was when he scored. quells some of the transfer/chemistry concerns

There's no doubt what he brings. But if he doesn't figure out the D side of things, he's never going to see the court.

Let's hope him playing means whatever the true issue with him is, it's finally reaching a resolution. Someone with his athleticism could be EXACTLY what this team needs. That being said, if they can figure out how to actually try, like they did last night, I'd argue you don't need QA.
What an utterly stupid take. People seem to forget that before Cody Williams and Assane Diop, there was Quincy Allen. The dude projected as a NBA 1st round talent. The guy was the best propspect we pulled in well over a decade. Now, with a 4.5 minute sample (that was actually pretty good) we're saying there's a possibility that we don't need him? I would argue the exact opposite. If we're going to make legit runs the next 2-3 years, we need a guy like Allen on the court waaaay more than an LOB or a Clifford.

You want to make the Sweet 16 next year? Then you better sure as sh!t hope Allen is in the 7 deep mix.

Last edited:
If CU men's basketball played a game or two annually in Denver (anywhere, pick your venue), would it move the needle at all in terms of loval fan engagement? Were regular games in Denver ever a thing?

If we played a game at Ball Arena each year, could Boyle effectively use it as a recruiting pitch? Or would the potential emptiness in the stands be too much of an eye sore?

If CU men's basketball played a game or two annually in Denver (anywhere, pick your venue), would it move the needle at all in terms of loval fan engagement? Were regular games in Denver ever a thing?

If we played a game at Ball Arena each year, could Boyle effectively use it as a recruiting pitch? Or would the potential emptiness in the stands be too much of an eye sore?
College basketball generally sucks in NBA arenas. Games at MSG are an exception.

maybe 15-20 years ago we played a showcase event at the Pepsi center, I think it was CU, CSU, DU and SMC. Dont remember who CU played, just remember it because Shane Company passed out mouse pads and I have one from each (except CSU). But what I do remember from the game was that it pretty much sucked, place was empty, not fun. Players all got a kick out of playing at a NBA arena, but I think that wore off quickly once they realized the place had no energy.

Given what we've seen from this roster thus far and speculating on what we likley need next year to address the many issues we have, what happens to this roster? Quick stab at it:

RETURNERS:
Lovering, O'Brien, Hurlburt
Hadley, DaSilva, Ruffin
Simpson, Hammond, Smith

ADDITIONS:
Williams, Diop, Anderson, TRANSFER (PG or PF)

LOSSES:
Clifford, Gabbidon, Wright, Allen

Given what we're seen from this roster thus far and speculating on what we likley need next year to address the many issues we have, what happens to this roster? Quick stab at it:

RETURNERS:
Lovering, O'Brien, Hurlburt
Hadley, DaSilva, Ruffin
Simpson, Hammond, Smith

ADDITIONS:
Williams, Diop, Anderson, TRANSFER (PG or PF)

LOSSES:
Clifford, Gabbidon, Wright, Allen
Starters:
PG: KJ
SG?
SF: Williams
PF: DaSilva
C: Lawson

Tad is not going to find a guy who bumps KJ to SG. Finding a starting 2 guard seems more important than anything else for next year's ceiling.

Starters:
SG?

Tad is not going to find a guy who bumps KJ to SG. Finding a starting 2 guard seems more important than anything else for next year's ceiling.
Maybe Ruffin progresses into that role? I think we still need to go out and find another guard. Just not from the Ivy fvcking league, though.

Maybe Ruffin progresses into that role? I think we still need to go out and find another guard. Just not from the Ivy fvcking league, though.
Is this where we agree that finding out whether Ruffin can be a starting 2 is worth finding this fact out THIS YEAR?

Of course, we all know that won't happen because Ruffin's knee is scaring the **** out of me.

Anyway, I think that unless Tad is REALLY high on the combo guards he has coming in, go find a guy who could start at the 2. If he can't @Goose can get his PG.

Starters:
SG?

So many are worried about a PG or SG, and we are placing DaSilva and Lawson on the front line to bump with guys that are actually muscular.
Hurlburt developing, or a strong frontline guy is a must, period. We have a variety of guards all over the place, and Williams and DaSilva can bump down to big guards and small forwards, but we are undersized and undermanned on the frontline, period.
KJ is the point guard and will not be moved, but can play minutes as the 2 guard or combo guard, which has been happening with Hammond and him on the court at the same time.

Starters:
SG?

KJ has played a decent amount of off guard this season. Yesterday, Hammond was running the point on most possessions when he and KJ were in together. I'd go with a PG transfer if possible. That would keep Hammond limited to 10-15 minutes off the bench and allow KJ to roam a bit, while still playing PG minutes. Given the scoring potential with KJ/Williams/TDS in next year's starting lineup, I like the idea of Ruffin playing the 6th man role at 20 mpg and the potential to bring real bench scoring (and hoping Anderson or Smith can play legit minutes if Ruffin's knee remains an issue).

KJ has played a decent amount of off guard this season. Yesterday, Hammond was running the point on most possessions when he and KJ were in together. I'd go with a PG transfer if possible. That would keep Hammond limited to 10-15 minutes off the bench and allow KJ to roam a bit, while still playing PG minutes. Given the scoring potential with KJ/Williams/TDS in next year's starting lineup, I like the idea of Ruffin playing the 6th man role at 20 mpg and the potential to bring real bench scoring (and hoping Anderson or Smith can play legit minutes if Ruffin's knee remains an issue).
Good point, but... Were those good possessions? I don't recall any pattern there. Taking offense out of the equation, another issue with a "True" PG is finding one with size enough for defensive purposes. It's rough having two small guards out there.

My ideal starting lineup:
1. Simpson
2. Williams
3. Da Silva
4. Diop
5. Lovering

With O'Brien and Hadley getting a lot of minutes at 3 and 4 depending on matchups and whoever needs a blow.

Ruffin looks good but his injury history is concerning. Hard to depend on a guy that is rarely on the court.

Nique could be productive in a defense and rebounding role but I would not be surprised if he is gone next year.

I'm not a big fan of Hammond. He could get better but he is very turnover prone against decent competition.

I really don't know much about Smith and Hurlburt but I have a feeling that they have been recruited over.

Back