What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2023-24 MBB Season Thread

It feels to me like we are ever so close to having a great year. If Coach B is able to find a shooter we could be a Sweet 16 team and ranked all year.

I'm not in the "Fire Tad" camp, but in the spirit of playing along...

Who are the potential "Deion Sanders" for MBB? Who could change the game, and bring in recruits at a level we've never seen? Who could convince current HC's of D1 schools to come here as assistants?

Jordan? Garnett? Pippen? I really don't know.

And then the next question is, of those who might have comparable magmatism, which would want to coach? What would it take to get them to CU?
The only one I can see that could have this kind of Prime effect in basketball is MJ. He is the goat among the goats. But MJ doesn't have personality to be a good coach.

Kobe (if he is still alive), LBJ and Curry are the possible second tire choices.

Garnett or Pippen has no shot to repeat what Prime did in football.

Part of the Prime story is that institutional constraints across this country had long limited analogous peers from getting a shot at P5 coaching roles. Prime is a unicorn with no parallel. As was pointed out in this thread, there are multiple examples of prominent former NBA talents getting college gigs, even some at the P6 level.

The most relevant example to this discussion is Penny Hardaway, in terms of how quickly he changed the recruiting prospects and profile of the program, but he was a Memphis legacy long before he got interested in coaching. Plus, he doesn't bring with him the Hall of Fame cachet Prime is bringing to Folsom.

Really, the answer is LeBron. Not only with his off-court work with the I Promise School and his kid's involvement in the game, but his HOF/GOAT-adjacent credentials and media profile. There are a lot of similarities there.

So, if Tad gets fired and you want a shot at a 'Prime-like impact,' give LeBron a call.

Part of the Prime story is that institutional constraints across this country had long limited analogous peers from getting a shot at P5 coaching roles. Prime is a unicorn with no parallel. As was pointed out in this thread, there are multiple examples of prominent former NBA talents getting college gigs, even some at the P6 level.

The most relevant example to this discussion is Penny Hardaway, in terms of how quickly he changed the recruiting prospects and profile of the program, but he was a Memphis legacy long before he got interested in coaching. Plus, he doesn't bring with him the Hall of Fame cachet Prime is bringing to Folsom.

Really, the answer is LeBron. Not only with his off-court work with the I Promise School and his kid's involvement in the game, but his HOF/GOAT-adjacent credentials and media profile. There are a lot of similarities there.

So, if Tad gets fired and you want a shot at a 'Prime-like impact,' give LeBron a call.
In my brainstorming over who might have the poltential to be a MBB version of Sanders I initially dismissed James b/c he never played college ball. I'm getting that you don't believe that would be an impediment?

In my brainstorming over who might have the poltential to be a MBB version of Sanders I initially dismissed James b/c he never played college ball. I'm getting that you don't believe that would be an impediment?
To a school offering him? I think he'd have to coach *somewhere* first, or at least let people know he was interested, but he could certainly have any number of opportunities if he let it known he was open.

I would imagine, if he did want to coach post-career, he'd swing more NBA, but you never know.

Let’s call Derrick White first.
1681961167295.jpeg

Remember that a college coach must have a degree.
This may be an obstacle because I don't know if he ever finished his degree but what do people think of Chauncey.

He is respected, HOF player with titles, outstanding communicator, would get the attention of kids today.

Question you can ask is why would an NBA coach want to coach college but as good as he is he is the coach of the Trailblazers, a bad team in need of a major rebuild. Coaches make easy scapegoats so odds are he will be out of a job in the next couple years.

He loves CU, loves Colorado, and has strong connections to the university including with Tad and Prime.

This may be an obstacle because I don't know if he ever finished his degree but what do people think of Chauncey.

He is respected, HOF player with titles, outstanding communicator, would get the attention of kids today.

Question you can ask is why would an NBA coach want to coach college but as good as he is he is the coach of the Trailblazers, a bad team in need of a major rebuild. Coaches make easy scapegoats so odds are he will be out of a job in the next couple years.

He loves CU, loves Colorado, and has strong connections to the university including with Tad and Prime.
He's not a good coach.

Chauncey is the first guy you call if Tad is let go, retires, or god forbid passes away

He could recruit way above Tad, and it is just as much about the assistants to make things happen

He is squeaky clean and is the overall Best Buff player and is a World Champion

He's not a good coach.
Russell Westbrook Basketball GIF by NBA

Nice article on LOB. Hope he builds on his past season improvement. Seems to be a solid, thoughtful young man.
Surprised to see he wasn't open to the additional covid year, especially since he mentions being realistic about his NBA chances. I'd love to have him two more years.

Can someone explain what the pouring water on your wrist is all about?

So, I guess Tad's just gonna bank that last scholly. WTF are we waiting for?

Idris Elba Table Flip GIF

Until I see a quote to Rooney in the Camera saying something to the effect of "we're keeping our options open, but, for now, we're heading into the Fall with 12", I still assume they're actively pursuing players for the final scholly.

Still, I said in March I thought they'd bank it since they couldn't get Knecht or similar, and I still think that. Not much point in bringing in someone unless you actually plan to give them significant playing time.

Until I see a quote to Rooney in the Camera saying something to the effect of "we're keeping our options open, but, for now, we're heading into the Fall with 12", I still assume they're actively pursuing players for the final scholly.

Still, I said in March I thought they'd bank it since they couldn't get Knecht or similar, and I still think that. Not much point in bringing in someone unless you actually plan to give them significant playing time.
I think the fallback will end up being a grad transfer shooter at guard with limited game as an 8-15 mpg guy.

At this point, I see this last scholarship playing out into the summer. The way people are moving around these days Tad is liable to still nail it.

At this point, I see this last scholarship playing out into the summer. The way people are moving around these days Tad is liable to still nail it.
I wouldn't be surprised if a player requests out once NBA draft decisions are finalized and if a player decides to come back to college that another player wasn't expecting

Hi all,
can we confirm that the roster 2023-24 is this?

Cody Williams FR
Courtney Anderson FR
Assane Diop FR
RJ Smith FR
Joe Hurlburt SO
Javon Ruffin SO
KJ Simpson JR
Julian Hammond JR
Eddie Lampkin JR
J'Vonne Hadley SR
Luke O'Brien SR
Tristan DaSilva SR

Starting five?
Simpson; Hammond; C.Williams; Da Silva; Lampkin

Rotation?
Ruffin; Smith; O’Brien; Hadley; Diop

Last bench?
Anderson; Hulburt

Hi all,

Cody Williams FR
Courtney Anderson FR
Assane Diop FR
RJ Smith FR
Joe Hurlburt SO
Javon Ruffin SO
KJ Simpson JR
Julian Hammond JR
Eddie Lampkin JR
J'Vonne Hadley SR
Luke O'Brien SR
Tristan DaSilva SR

Starting five?

Rotation?

Last bench?
Anderson; Hulburt

Hammond is not a starter if KJ is.

Hi all,

Cody Williams FR
Courtney Anderson FR
Assane Diop FR
RJ Smith FR
Joe Hurlburt SO
Javon Ruffin SO
KJ Simpson JR
Julian Hammond JR
Eddie Lampkin JR
J'Vonne Hadley SR
Luke O'Brien SR
Tristan DaSilva SR

Starting five?

Rotation?

Last bench?
Anderson; Hulburt
Most don't think Diop plays ahead of Hurlburt.

Back