What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Bowl Season Thread

The “if they hadn’t turned the ball over, they would have won” argument never fails to amaze me. It’s so ****er-like. How many times has surveyor said “if they didn’t turn the ball over, the ****ers would have won easily”? It’s like saying “if they had only scored more points, they would have won”. Turnovers are a huge part of the game. News flash: CU turned the ball over a bunch against UO, too. If we hadn’t, the game would have been a lot closer.

Hence the "could". Wisconsin was the better team. They didn't play a clean game, however, and thus they lost.

You guys are bunch of nit-picking ninnies sometimes.

I could go with that list. I would put a couple of schools ahead of Notre Dame as first out.

This will probably end up looking bad because of an upset but I think we have some very clear groupings in terms of quality this year.

LSU is to me clearly the best team,

Clemson and Ohio State are significantly better than anyone not named LSU,

Your 4-7 are fairly interchangeable, teams that could beat each other based on the bounce of the ball or who has a bad day. Quality teams but each has their flaws.

Florida and Minnesota are legit top ten teams but a long way from being close to the top three.

From 10 on its a crapshoot with some teams that are very good on one side of the ball but not the other or who lack talent at certain key positions or who just didn't show up or who significantly outplayed their talent.

Reason for optimist is that in looking at some of the schools from 10-25 there is no reason why Mel Tucker can't have CU at that level within a few years (or less.) The gap between CU and the bottom of the top 25 is much less than the gap between the bottom of the top 25 and the top seven.

It's been a fun year of college football.
Good analysis.

I agree that Wisonsin turned the ball over more and took more penalties while losing the game, but I'm still lost on how that translates to them being the better team.

Edit: Ahh, I just remembered who Tschecks second favorite CFB team is. Ding Ding!
Wisconsin significantly beat Oregon in Total Yards, Passing Yards, Rushing Yards, Yards/play, rushing yards/att, 4th down eff, and almost doubled them up in time of possession. It's ok to look at games from an objective, non-binary view and acknowledge that the better team doesn't always win. And to be clear about my bias, Ohio State was also the better team in the Semi-Final game, but like Wisconsin, too many mistakes (along with just terrible officiating) did them in.

Hence the "could". Wisconsin was the better team. They didn't play a clean game, however, and thus they lost.

You guys are bunch of nit-picking ninnies sometimes.
"They would have won if they didn't play so poorly. So they're clearly the better team." You don't see how that take is completely illogical?

Wisconsin significantly beat Oregon in Total Yards, Passing Yards, Rushing Yards, Yards/play, rushing yards/att, 4th down eff, and almost doubled them up in time of possession. It's ok to look at games from an objective, non-binary view and acknowledge that the better team doesn't always win. And to be clear about my bias, Ohio State was also the better team in the Semi-Final game, but like Wisconsin, too many mistakes (along with just terrible officiating) did them in.
It's also ok to ask yourself, which team made the critical plays when they needed to? Which team forced the other into more adjustments that ultimately led to turnovers and points? Or, crazy idea, which team scored more points?

Are you a big Jameis Winston guy? After all, 5000 yards and 30 TDs, he's clearly one of the best QBs in the league!

Wisconsin made plenty of mistakes, but they also struggled in the running game at times and only had 18 first downs. Even outside of the turnovers, they were not efficient on offense.

Wisconsin made plenty of mistakes, but they also struggled in the running game at times and only had 18 first downs. Even outside of the turnovers, they were not efficient on offense.
5/17 on 3rd
4/5 on 4th

Would have, could have, should have.

In the end none of it matters. Six month from now all anyone (but the most die-hard fans of a team) will remember is the final result, who won and who lost. And most won't even remember the score, just that it was close or it was a blowout.

As easy as it is to say that Wisconsin (a program I like and admire) "should" have won the Rose Bowl it is just as easy to say that Oregon shouldn't have even been there. If Oregon hadn't made some key mistakes in the opener against Auburn they would have been getting blown out by LSU instead of Oklahoma. If they hadn't completely crapped the bed against Arizona State, a team they should have beaten by 20, same thing.

Fact is though that Oregon did make the mistakes against Auburn and lost that game, they did choke on themselves against the Sundevils and lost that game. That is what will be remembered and that is what will be in the record books.

You can talk all the ifs and buts you want but the scoreboard is what matters in the end. Wisconsin didn't do what they had to for the win, Oregon did.

Now, tOSU and little ole Clemson play 10 times on neutral sod.

Lean to tOSU at 6.

Oregon and Wisc play ten times on neutral field.

I’ll lean slightly to Oregon, 6-4.
I might actually go the other way and say 6-4 Wisconsin. Either way, I don’t think either team wins more than 6, and it would probably be pretty close to dead even.

Oregon and Wisc play ten times on neutral field.

I’ll lean slightly to Oregon, 6-4.
Now, tOSU and little ole Clemson play 10 times on neutral sod.

Lean to tOSU at 6.
I might actually go the other way and say 6-4 Wisconsin. Either way, I don’t think either team wins more than 6, and it would probably be pretty close to dead even.
I think you are underestimating Clemson, I would favor the Tigers to win 6, also though would favor the Ducks to come out ahead. Just think their explosiveness gives them an edge. If Wisconsin gets the lead the Ducks can score and get back into it. Don't see nearly as much of that from Wisconsin.

Harping on that iffy PI call is for losers. It was obviously OPI, and I don't think it should have been called, but come on. The righteous indignation on a by the book OPI(don't watch it from the EZ view) is pathetic. They also missed multiple other major calls on drives that resulted in a Wisconsin score. Why aren't we bitching about that?

I just turned on the Birmingham Bowl after Harris' commitment. There may be 5k people in the stands based on a sideline view during the Cincy QB's scramble for a score.

How do these 3rd tier bowls get justified?

Does it come out of the marketing budget for the city in the hopes of future tourism? I'm struggling to figure it out.

Watching Cincinnati beat up on Adazzio's dudes from BC.

Cincinnati is well coached but the talent gap between them and the schools playing yesterday is wide. CU should be in a bowl next year.

Also don't know how much of a reward a weekend in Birmingham in early January is. Looks like the scattered few people there are sharing the discomfort of the climate. Currently 57 degrees which doesn't sound bad but it is almost 90% humidity and getting ready to rain again.

Lots of empty seats, Funny that Ticketsmarter is the sponsor for a game that didn't sell many.

"They would have won if they didn't play so poorly. So they're clearly the better team." You don't see how that take is completely illogical?

"I'll take what someone says and change the wording to make my argument look better." That's pretty logical too.

I've been consistent in my argument. Wisconsin was the better team. They played ****ty, and they lost because of their mistakes. See the difference between what I said and what you are trying to portray my argument as?

I think it's kind of hilarious how far you guys are going to back up your preconceived notion that Oregon was better. To hear some of you guys say it, the team that ends up with the W is always the best team on the field. There's no bad games, no mistakes that change the game, no bad calls.

If you want to say that you think I'm wrong and you think Oregon is better than Wisconsin, or tell me "scoreboard", feel free to do so. But please stop with the arguments that deny a large element of collegiate athletics.

I just turned on the Birmingham Bowl after Harris' commitment. There may be 5k people in the stands based on a sideline view during the Cincy QB's scramble for a score.

Does it come out of the marketing budget for the city in the hopes of future tourism? I'm struggling to figure it out.
The schools are paying their own way. Facilities already exist. They get a cut of the commercial dollars. Even the crap bowls make money.

They get a bunch of people like us with nothing better to do to turn on the TV and watch.

It's the dead season for tourism. They get the team and the officials hotels and meals comped. In return even if they get five to ten thousand fans, school officials, band members, etc. to show up they more than break even and it gives them some cash flow to pay the employees at a time they normally wouldn't be working.

Like the teams themselves they get a chance to get some low cost promotion of the city. Get a bunch of TV exposure, a bunch of articles in the local papers about the teams activities in town before the game, and hopefully the people who went will want to come back or will talk to others.

This may be part of why it is so hard to get rid of a bowl once it is on the schedule even when there aren't enough deserving teams to justify it.

Different thing but related. My daughter qualified for the state finals for high school mountain biking (in her first year of real competition, proud dad.) The event is held down in Durango. The town puts a lot of resources into the race. The event is held on a course that currently is not open for public use (eventually will be.) Adams State College as well also puts a lot of resources into the event.

As we were driving around town I heard on the local public radio station that a study had been done on the event they calculated that for just that weekend the economic impact on the town was over $1 million. This on a weekend that was outside the normal busy periods.

Small colleges across the country are also struggling to maintain enrollments. For a town like Durango Adams State is a significant economic driver. For this weekend they managed to get hundreds of potential students and their parents on campus. They gave tours and put out the effort to recruit. They moved to the top of my daughters list because she likes the campus, they have an outstanding MB team, and the trails network starts right on the edge of campus. Just guessing that the break even on their efforts would be something like 30-50 students a year from the event, maybe less.

They get a bunch of people like us with nothing better to do to turn on the TV and watch.

It's the dead season for tourism. They get the team and the officials hotels and meals comped. In return even if they get five to ten thousand fans, school officials, band members, etc. to show up they more than break even and it gives them some cash flow to pay the employees at a time they normally wouldn't be working.

Like the teams themselves they get a chance to get some low cost promotion of the city. Get a bunch of TV exposure, a bunch of articles in the local papers about the teams activities in town before the game, and hopefully the people who went will want to come back or will talk to others.

This may be part of why it is so hard to get rid of a bowl once it is on the schedule even when there aren't enough deserving teams to justify it.

Different thing but related. My daughter qualified for the state finals for high school mountain biking (in her first year of real competition, proud dad.) The event is held down in Durango. The town puts a lot of resources into the race. The event is held on a course that currently is not open for public use (eventually will be.) Adams State College as well also puts a lot of resources into the event.

As we were driving around town I heard on the local public radio station that a study had been done on the event they calculated that for just that weekend the economic impact on the town was over $1 million. This on a weekend that was outside the normal busy periods.

Small colleges across the country are also struggling to maintain enrollments. For a town like Durango Adams State is a significant economic driver. For this weekend they managed to get hundreds of potential students and their parents on campus. They gave tours and put out the effort to recruit. They moved to the top of my daughters list because she likes the campus, they have an outstanding MB team, and the trails network starts right on the edge of campus. Just guessing that the break even on their efforts would be something like 30-50 students a year from the event, maybe less.
Just to be clear Adams State is in Alamosa, Ft. Lewis is in Durango. Your point still stands though.

Just to be clear Adams State is in Alamosa, Ft. Lewis is in Durango. Your point still stands though.
You are right, Fort Lewis. And I should know that because my daughter is currently running around wearing a stocking hat from there with the bike team emblem.

Western State also promotes their MTB program heavily with the Colorado HS racers as does Colorado Mountain College.

"I'll take what someone says and change the wording to make my argument look better." That's pretty logical too.

I've been consistent in my argument. Wisconsin was the better team. They played ****ty, and they lost because of their mistakes. See the difference between what I said and what you are trying to portray my argument as?

I think it's kind of hilarious how far you guys are going to back up your preconceived notion that Oregon was better. To hear some of you guys say it, the team that ends up with the W is always the best team on the field. There's no bad games, no mistakes that change the game, no bad calls.

If you want to say that you think I'm wrong and you think Oregon is better than Wisconsin, or tell me "scoreboard", feel free to do so. But please stop with the arguments that deny a large element of collegiate athletics.
Actually no. I don’t see a difference between what I said and your first paragraph. In fact, if you’d like me to quote you, you said “Wisconsin should have won easily, like 42-14.” You’re essentially saying that Wisconsin is the better team and only lost because they made so many mistakes. How do you reconcile that?

The team that played a better overall game won.

Indiana - Tennessee has been a decent game. Just got really interesting with a recovered on side kick.

Bonus : a few minutes ago they showed highlights from the Hoosiers last bowl game win : a 24-0 drubbing of **** Baylor in 1991.

Was imagining things or did I see a few empty seats at the Rose Bowl yesterday? Never seen that before.

Indiana - Tennessee has been a decent game. Just got really interesting with a recovered on side kick.

Bonus : a few minutes ago they showed highlights from the Hoosiers last bowl game win : a 24-0 drubbing of **** Baylor in 1991.
Tennessee may have scored too fast. Almost four minutes left and all Indiana needs is a FG. (oh no, college kicker!)

Back