What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs vs. Stanford Game Thread

Just curious. How does the NCAA view a case like McChesney’s? Is he not considered a “booster?” Maybe as long as he doesn’t donate to the school he’s okay?

Just curious. How does the NCAA view a case like McChesney’s? Is he not considered a “booster?” Maybe as long as he doesn’t donate to the school he’s okay?
As long as he doesnt attempt to send players specifically to CU it isn't a problem.

McChesney can on occasion (ok, maybe regularly) say or tweet some cringeworthy things, but dude is a Buff and tries to truly help Colorado preps get better and earn scholarships. He’s belting out the CU fight song yesterday, and some of you are worried about his badge?

I don’t disagree that Mark Johnson can be over the top in his play by play, but I actually like listening to him. I like the enthusiastic homerism.

McChesney can on occasion (ok, maybe regularly) say or tweet some cringeworthy things, but dude is a Buff and tries to truly help Colorado preps get better and earn scholarships. He’s belting out the CU fight song yesterday, and some of you are worried about his badge?

I don’t disagree that Mark Johnson can be over the top in his play by play, but I actually like listening to him. I like the enthusiastic homerism.
It’s not the enthusiastic homerism I’m not a fan of. It’s the enthusiastic homerism in places where it actually doesn’t make sense (ie 4 yard runs, 8 yard completions, etc). I also just wish he would tell you what the outcome of the play much quicker than he does.

It’s not the enthusiastic homerism I’m not a fan of. It’s the enthusiastic homerism in places where it actually doesn’t make sense (ie 4 yard runs, 8 yard completions, etc). I also just wish he would tell you what the outcome of the play much quicker than he does.

I get it and understand. However, in real time, I’m not sure if he knows if that spin move or broken tackle is gonna go for one yard or twenty. Again, love his voice and I just listen knowing that when he’s amped it doesn’t mean it’s gonna be a special play.

How come he can roam around the sideline (without credentials and on the team side of the line) bitching and rolling his eyes when he sees something he doesn’t like?
Two things.

One part of it is that he is an alum, and a one with a significant background that they want the recruits to see. He started here in an era when we had success then went on to a career in the NFL. He is also a guy with a personality that gets the interest of a lot of HS kids. They have a pretty open policy of giving access to the sidelines, to practice, even to team facilities to a lot of former players. Yesterday we saw Phil down there making contact with a bunch of current players and recruits. I didn't look for him but with the Bronco's off this weekend I would be surprised if at least a few others like Winfree, Big Al, etc. weren't around as well.

Beyond that he has a very big unofficial role. Many if not most of the top players in Colorado go through his gym. This can be a negative because he would like to have more of his kids offered by CU but if we are going to turn around recruiting on the top in-state players a lot of it is going to go through him. He openly favors CU to the kids in his gym. He has had a lot of them go other places as well but it hasn't been because he didn't encourage them to at least consider CU.

He can be a loose cannon. He does everything in his life at 100% and with pure passion. That is part of the reason he is able to successfully develop a lot of kids to a level that gets them athletic scholarships. We hear about the big names who go to P5 schools but he has a lot more kids who he is able to move into a position to get offers from FCS or D2 schools.

I think that he is going to be easier to "manage" now because he respects Tucker's passion more than he seemed to with MM. We shall see.

NIXON MAKES THE GRAB, HE SHEDS A DEFENDER, HE WIGGLES AND SPINS HIS WAY FORWARD, WHAT AN INCREDIBLE INDIVIDUAL EFFORT ON THAT PLAY, HE SIMPLY WOULD NOT BE STOPPED!!!!!! IT'S A ONE YARD GAIN, THAT SETS UP SECOND-AND-NINE FOR THE BUFFALOES"

It drives me insane. You'd think we had just won the rose bowl on plays where we lose yards.
Exactly. Every home play-by-play guy is a homer, but some are more ridiculous than others.

Anyone else noticed how often the home radio guy says something like “1st and 10 for the Buffs...Fontenot gets the carry and bulls his way for a 7 yard gain. 2nd and 4 for the Buffs.”

It’s like they exaggerate by a yard routinely. Not sure why accuracy isn’t a priority over giving a falsely optimistic report.

I went and double checked because I just had this feeling.. Stanford pretty much nailed their average rushing and passing yards for the season yesterday. By that metric, our defense managed to just play average yesterday. It feels like they played amazingly out of their minds (which they did, for them) but really, that was average.

What was so special about it was holding them to 13 points. That's Stanford's second lowest total of the season, only Oregon held them to less (6).

I went and double checked because I just had this feeling.. Stanford pretty much nailed their average rushing and passing yards for the season yesterday. By that metric, our defense managed to just play average yesterday. It feels like they played amazingly out of their minds (which they did, for them) but really, that was average.

What was so special about it was holding them to 13 points. That's Stanford's second lowest total of the season, only Oregon held them to less (6).
Stanford did move the yesterday. Our defense had plenty of chances to give up the big play but they didn't.

When they did give up the big pass play they could have gone into a "here we go again" mode and let Stanford take over, they didn't. They sucked it up and did what they had to do the rest of the game to give us a chance to win.

All this with true freshman playing CB and with other guys stepping in. Character win.

I care less about yards given up now probably more than I ever have. Be solid against the run, pressure the QB , cause turnovers, and most importantly, be tough in the red zone. If you make them try fgs, instead of getting 6, it certainly helps.

Since CU entered the Pac12, has there ever been a game where we've thought "Wow, refs gave us a few calls this game"? Feels like every game is either fairly balanced or completely against us but never for us
Oregon, 2016 - overturned 2 incomplete passes into TDs

Back