What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs vs. USC Game Thread --- 8:45 PM on FS1

USC’s game plan: Put this game on the Trojan D.

Be physical. Rag doll tackle playmakers. Hit hard. Stuff the box with big fast bodies and shut down the run. Rely on team speed to seal the edges. Force CU into a passing game. Rely on secondary’s height and athleticism to keep CU from being successful going over the top. Push aside the OLine to disrupt passes and generate tackles for a loss. Don’t worry about discipline or penalties because those are are a small price to pay to expose CU’s lack of depth. Turn this game into a mismatch between as many positions as possible.

This is all about SC’s jimmies and joes imposing will. Men vs boys. Lots of NFL talent vs a little bit of NFL talent.

Spotting CU a couple of picks, over 120 yards in penalties, no first half rushing, and a true freshman QB who is wet behind the ears simply doesn’t matter.

Eventually the D will force turnovers. .
A crushing and bruising physical performance on D will make CU fold sometime in the 2nd quarter.

CU will get some points. But not 30. Once dominance is established, just coast.

Pretty demoralizing loss. CU’s plucky middleweight offense was no match for USC’s sleepwalking heavyweight D.

After years of being crushed by Nebraksa, Coach Mac came up with the Nebraska Project with the goal of beating them which he did. Time for new Coach Mac to start the USC Project.

USC’s game plan: Put this game on the Trojan D.

Be physical. Rag doll tackle playmakers. Hit hard. Stuff the box with big fast bodies and shut down the run. Rely on team speed to seal the edges. Force CU into a passing game. Rely on secondary’s height and athleticism to keep CU from being successful going over the top. Push aside the OLine to disrupt passes and generate tackles for a loss. Don’t worry about discipline or penalties because those are are a small price to pay to expose CU’s lack of depth. Turn this game into a mismatch between as many positions as possible.

This is all about SC’s jimmies and joes imposing will. Men vs boys. Lots of NFL talent vs a little bit of NFL talent.

Spotting CU a couple of picks, over 120 yards in penalties, no first half rushing, and a true freshman QB who is wet behind the ears simply doesn’t matter.

Eventually the D will force turnovers. .
A crushing and bruising physical performance on D will make CU fold sometime in the 2nd quarter.

CU will get some points. But not 30. Once dominance is established, just coast.

Pretty demoralizing loss. CU’s plucky middleweight offense was no match for USC’s sleepwalking heavyweight D.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with USC as being that much more talented than us. In fact, our defense vs their offense was very good. kudos to Eliot!

I think Montez was awful last night and I think Chev was just as bad. I’m a McIntire fan but he was in LaLa land as well. Viska is simply not good enough to carry the buffs. Plus he shouldn’t have to be. We have other guys who could’ve made plays.

The offense was so overcoached that nobody was “playing” football, they were “thinking” football and that is a recipe for disaster.

You could tell from the opening drive that the players were stuck in the mud.
We needed more pick plays and motion to get other WR open. We needed deep passes and quarterback runs to break the defense down. We also needed to spread out more.

Wazzu played these guys WAY better than us and I think we have better talent. Why? Because they keep it simple. Their coaches avoid the temptation to overcoach and it shows.

I’m still so upset about that game! Even after several drinks and a night sleep

We hold USC to 62 yards rushing, get 2 picks and they commit 13 penalties for 123 yards .... and yet we never had any control on this game, even after the 1st TD.

Why can't we ever run a skinny post?
Not just that - Daniels’ throws were NOT well crafted plays, they were mini-hail marys and they all connected. So ****ing frustrating!

Sometimes players like Shenault have their biggest impact in a game when they don’t get many touches. He is an incredible talent, but we have some other guys on the team that can make plays. He was like a magnet to their defense which should have created a lot of opportunities elsewhere. Chev **** the bed by not taking advantage of that at all.
Love,
Michael Westbrook

****ing bull**** ass **** game, I’m still pissed the next morning. USC played like **** and we got our ass whipped on a couple of bull**** blown coverage passes downfield. No wonder they weren’t worried about us. I hope this team is pissed off but that was embarrassing. I like Mac but if he can’t beat anyone when it counts I can’t trust him.

USC dominated the LOS both ways. Their WRs are excellent. Stars matter. To me the most telling thing early was the Buffs inability to run the ball, outside of Viska's TD. Our OL got schooled in run blocking and pass protection. This wasn't a very complicated game. Hate to say it but USC has a lot of great athletes on that roster and when they get their minds right and bring a semblance of an "A" game, it's a formidable team.

USC dominated the LOS both ways. Their WRs are excellent. Stars matter. To me the most telling thing early was the Buffs inability to run the ball, outside of Viska's TD. Our OL got schooled in run blocking and pass protection. This wasn't a very complicated game. Hate to say it but USC has a lot of great athletes on that roster and when they get their minds right and bring a semblance of an "A" game, it's a formidable team.
Disagree a bit on USC dominanting both sides of the LOS. I thought defensively we held our own. USC ran for 60 yards, we got some pressure on Daniels. Just gave up 2 big plays where DBs (or LBs) didn't make a play. Against our OL, I completely agree with you. They were dominanted every snap.

****ing bull**** ass **** game, I’m still pissed the next morning. USC played like **** and we got our ass whipped on a couple of bull**** blown coverage passes downfield. No wonder they weren’t worried about us. I hope this team is pissed off but that was embarrassing. I like Mac but if he can’t beat anyone when it counts I can’t trust him.

"They knew what we were going to do," said Colorado quarterback Steven Montez, who went 25 of 46 for 168 yards. "They kind of had us figured out, and when we had some good calls going, we would shoot ourselves in the foot with a bunch of different penalties. I think we've just got to clean it up. If we clean it up, it's definitely a lot closer of a game and I think we give ourselves a chance."

Our DB’s have been exposed. Expect our remaining opponents to exploit that and to go deep early and often. We give up way to many long completions when we actually are covering the defender fairly well. And then we also get beaten deep way to often. Nothing like watching the QB drop back, let one fly, and when the camera goes to the receiver he’s 2 steps behind our defender.

Our DB’s have been exposed. Expect our remaining opponents to exploit that and to go deep early and often. We give up way to many long completions when we actually are covering the defender fairly well. And then we also get beaten deep way to often. Nothing like watching the QB drop back, let one fly, and when the camera goes to the receiver he’s 2 steps behind our defender.
Even when our DBs were draped on them like a cape they were incapable of making a play. It’s been like that all year. We’ve just been lucky that we could control the game offensively.

USC had 3 WRs more talented than any other WR on teams remaining on the schedule. We knew coming in to the year this would be a down year for our DBs. We have Abrams 6 games in to his D1 career (and actually playing pretty well) and Miller who make his 1st career start last night as RS Frosh.

Even when our DBs were draped on them like a cape they were incapable of making a play. It’s been like that all year. We’ve just been lucky that we could control the game offensively.
They either make the catch because our defenders NEVER pick up the ball our we run up their back and get a PI call.

Their offense had one score in the 2H, which was the FG resulting from that dumb onside kick.

The defense produced two turnovers and gave great FP for the entire 1Q. The game could’ve been out of reach for USC but the offensive playcalling was dreadful for 80% of the game.

It was a team loss, however. I blame the coaches 65% and players 35% for this one. The overall scheme was sub par.

Watch the presser. It tells you everything you need to know about MM.

Beta male.
Watch any coach ever after a loss like this and they are, generally, not in the mood to be there. I listened to his post game interview on KOA and he was pretty terse with Mark Johnson. When MJ asked him if the long balls were schematic problems or individual player problems Mac quickly said “it was the players.” I thought he could have said it a bit more diplomatically.

Rewatchred a bit this morning and I'd been noticing for some time that Montez is not carrying out his fakes.

Example: just over 2:30 left in 1Q after the second interception. KD in motion L to R, Montez hands it to him. Both RG and LG had vacated the right side pulling left, in a play that is meant to confuse the D into following the pulling lineman and create a numbers advantage for KD.

Nobody bites .I conclude that the D has figured out a key that we are giving away. Nobody is fooled and two guys are unblocked.

Montez hands the ball to KD and then stands there and spectates. If he instead acts like he's got the ball and gets behind his two pulling OL, maybe something works?

Montez has got to carry his fakes thru.

Watch any coach ever after a loss like this and they are, generally, not in the mood to be there. I listened to his post game interview on KOA and he was pretty terse with Mark Johnson. When MJ asked him if the long balls were schematic problems or individual player problems Mac quickly said “it was the players.” I thought he could have said it a bit more diplomatically.
It's schematic if we're expecting a safety or OLB to run for 30 yards 1-on-1 with one of their top 2 WRs. Now, maybe you can say it's on the players because that safety or OLB is supposed to get a jam to throw timing off and there's supposed to be quick pressure on the QB due to the blitz that resulted in that coverage matchup. We didn't get the pressure or the jam. It's a high risk approach and USC exploited it. Pretty much all their offensive points came directly from coverage breakdowns.

But I'm not going to put too much blame on the D for that -- it's the one thing USC has done well in every game this year. The real problem was that this happened in bunches at the end of the first half once our D was exhausted from our offense going 3 & out pretty much the entire half.

What pisses me off the most besides losing is giving all these national blowhards the opportunity to say "I told you so." **** **** ****.

Same here. It just allows them to say we got exposed as a fraud when it really came down to three big passes by USC's offense and a coaching staff coaching like they were scared of their own shadow.

One thing I would like to hear from anyone who attended: Were our receivers covered so well that Montez couldn’t even attempt a throw downfield? I was able to see a replay on a sack where it looked like a couple of guys had some separation. It seemed to me that Montez was afraid of throwing into tight coverage in this game when in previous games he wasn’t.

Back