What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs vs. USC Game Thread --- 8:45 PM on FS1

Never love anything, it only ends up disappointing you.

If Adams isnt fired at the end of the year I may contemplate not renewing my season tickets.

The lack of depth at RB and no production at all from the TE is just a killer. We really do not challenge defenses in the middle of the field in the passing game which just allows good ILBs to feast.
Even just a simple slant backs the LBs up, not utilizing the middle of the field has been a pet peeve of mine whether it be CU or Broncos.

Even a fake screen and having one of the blocking receivers release downfield would've kept SC from sitting on routes. Being an Iowa fan sometimes the lack of creativity can be frustrating and boring but sometimes simple is all that is needed.

The lack of depth at RB and no production at all from the TE is just a killer. We really do not challenge defenses in the middle of the field in the passing game which just allows good ILBs to feast.
Last night, they had their best ILB out (the guy who calls the defense) with a freshman starting in his place and their 2nd best ILB was battling injury. Where were the screen passes, the crossing routes, the designed QB runs, the quick slants and the seam passes to challenge those guys? Especially with as much pressure as USC was bringing.

The lack of depth at RB and no production at all from the TE is certainly hurting us, but that's not the whole reason we sucked so much.

You can design the scheme to overcome that to some degree. Not ideal, but can be definitely much better that what we showed yesterday

I really thought the defense played a heck of a game except for a couple long passes. Our safeties and CB's are a liability at times in the deep game, but the front 7 completely shut down USC's run game. We still can't generate a consistent pass rush, but think Eliot is doing a good job with what he has this year.

If this team can use this as a learning experience on all fronts (offensive play calling, recruiting on the O-line, how decisions are made when it's clear we are ****ed for this game), I think we bounce back well. It was a really good test to measure against, and I think the results are accurate. And I really felt bad for the players on offense--I think they were genuinely confused and unnecessarily frustrated. We didnt use our strength, our WR's, down the field. We got cute and tried to get things out in the flat, which clearly wasn't working. I dont think USC deserved to win as handily as they did, they didnt play THAT great. But to a greater extent we deserved to lose because the whole staff played and called plays scared or something, not sure what. If we had attacked their secondary in the 1st half like we did in the 2nd, I think we only lose by 7 or 3. We didnt even give ourselves a chance to gain some confidence, knowing we were out-violenced on the O-line.

USC I think had speed and talent along their DL that we were not used to. The most talented team we faced all year so far and that surprised us. The play calling on offense was too conservative for the first half. The defense played a good game, better in the 2nd half.

I don’t know if there are conclusions to be drawn from one game. The only conclusion I come to from multiple years is that we are a **** road team (don’t know why) but I believe this game would’ve been different in Boulder. We can still win 8+ games I just don’t think the 2016 magic will return this season. Go Buffs!!!

I don’t know if there are conclusions to be drawn from one game. The only conclusion I come to from multiple years is that we are a **** road team (don’t know why) but I believe this game would’ve been different in Boulder. We can still win 8+ games I just don’t think the 2016 magic will return this season. Go Buffs!!!

Recruiting needs to get better. They were getting pressure on the QB most of the game. Their backs played pretty tight coverage while our guys had to try to make catches in traffic or under coverage.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with USC as being that much more talented than us. In fact, our defense vs their offense was very good. kudos to Eliot!

I think Montez was awful last night and I think Chev was just as bad. I’m a McIntire fan but he was in LaLa land as well. Viska is simply not good enough to carry the buffs. Plus he shouldn’t have to be. We have other guys who could’ve made plays.

The offense was so overcoached that nobody was “playing” football, they were “thinking” football and that is a recipe for disaster.

You could tell from the opening drive that the players were stuck in the mud.
We needed more pick plays and motion to get other WR open. We needed deep passes and quarterback runs to break the defense down. We also needed to spread out more.

Wazzu played these guys WAY better than us and I think we have better talent. Why? Because they keep it simple. Their coaches avoid the temptation to overcoach and it shows.

I’m still so upset about that game! Even after several drinks and a night sleep

You are absolutely correct to praise CU’s D line and LBs for shutting down the run and applying pressure to USC’s QB. Holding USC’s offense to 3 TD’s was pretty good.

However, secondary coverage by Wiggly, Miller, and Worthington was exploited. If SC’s quarterback could drop dimes, the score would have been more lopsided. JT Daniels (12-22) just threw in the direction of Pittman, Vaughns, or other WRs and let them do the rest. He was missing the open man on a frequent basis and a threw a couple of picks, which helped make CU’s D look better than they would have looked had Darnold been behind center.

Landman, Johnson, Lewis, Gamboa, and Edwards were stout. I agree Eliot deserves props for the front 7 and run defense. CU’s D matched up alright against USC’s sputtering O.

Unfortunately CU’s D did not dictate the outcome of the game. USC’s D did. Yes, Chev and CU’s coaches bare responsibility for that, just as SC’s DC deserves respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
USC I think had speed and talent along their DL that we were not used to. The most talented team we faced all year so far and that surprised us. The play calling on offense was too conservative for the first half. The defense played a good game, better in the 2nd half.
Yeah, D continues to be pretty solid, pleased with our front 7 again this game.

Watch any coach ever after a loss like this and they are, generally, not in the mood to be there. I listened to his post game interview on KOA and he was pretty terse with Mark Johnson. When MJ asked him if the long balls were schematic problems or individual player problems Mac quickly said “it was the players.” I thought he could have said it a bit more diplomatically.
I heard that too and was livid. Shades of Frosty there, "it wasn't my fault".

Average recruiting class ranking (247 & Rivals) for the last 5 cycles...

Recruiting​
Colo Avg​
USC Avg​
2014​
69​
10​
2015​
70​
2​
2016​
67​
10​
2017​
34​
5​
2018​
52​
4​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I'd say we played above our heads despite the loss. You can see the difference most notably in the trenches. Outside LS our WR looked smaller and less capable. They should probably be killing us. Who has the better coaching?

Ironically, the only people who use terms like “beta male” are dudes that those same people would label a “beta male.”
This is not true. I have a proven history of executive skills and leadership.

Did you watch the press conference?

Perfectly put.
Do you really think MM exhibits leadership skills consistent with running a P5 program at an upper shelf level?

I hope you are honest in your answer.

This is not about me. It’s about MM and whether or not he is the king-term solution at CU.

Recruiting​
Colo Avg​
USC Avg​
2014​
69​
10​
2015​
70​
2​
2016​
67​
10​
2017​
34​
5​
2018​
52​
4​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I'd say we played above our heads despite the loss. You can see the difference most notably in the trenches. Outside LS our WR looked smaller and less capable. They should probably be killing us. Who has the better coaching?
Neither of these staffs are particularly good in my opinion.

Here is a brief summary of issues raised this morning:

Playcalling
Coaching
Depth
Talent
Recruiting
RB
Happy feet
Too focused on one playmaker
Clock management
DB
OL

I could go on. It’s a plethora of issues, not just one.

A program in Year Six should not have this many issues.

That game is what Duff and others had been talking about regarding Chev’s growing pains as a first time play caller. He was completely out coached. Learning experience that I’m positive he’ll get better from
Yup, that's what I'm hoping, pretty confident of it too.

after sleeping on it, some thoughts:

that sucked. We just played really ****ty in a lot of areas. Our OL is ****ing bad. We lack depth all over the place. Chev has to bring a better plan going forward.

But we're still 5-1. I've been thinking ever since the Nebraska game that we're not a very good team, we're maybe a top 25 team, but not a real top 10-15 type team. But it's ok because the P12 is really bad this year. We can still win double digits this year. I can't say I'm optimistic next week against UW, but the rest of the season I'm pretty optimistic. IMO we don't play anyone else we shouldn't beat.

I hope Chev takes the training wheels off of Montez. He's a lot better than that gameplan last night. 47 passes for 170 yards? You have to be kidding me. Let the guy throw the ball down the field and to more than one receiver.

and hopefully we left Bernardi in LA last night. How in the mother **** that guy still has a job at this school is a travesty.

Recruiting​
Colo Avg​
USC Avg​
2014​
69​
10​
2015​
70​
2​
2016​
67​
10​
2017​
34​
5​
2018​
52​
4​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This post reminds me of that famous Al Davis quote: "Just show up baby!"

Back