What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CFB Playoff discussion thread

Those are the initial CFP rankings. Things tend to get flushed out by the time the real rankings come out at the end. If a team finishes undefeated or with 1 loss, regardless of schedule, is there really an argument that they shouldn't be able to at least compete for a national championship? If they are living a lie like Baylor and Minnesota might be doing right now, they'll lose in the first round of the playoffs.

If Baylor finishes 11-2 with a loss to Oklahoma next week and then another loss to Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship........given the rest of their schedule-no.

If Baylor finishes 11-2 with a loss to Oklahoma next week and then another loss to Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship........given the rest of their schedule-no.
Oklahoma arguably has a worse resume than Baylor at this point, so it's weird that you're so focused on Baylor as this prime example of why this playoff scenario isn't good.

How many games would this end up being, if you went all the way through? Would you have to tweak the regular season or anything? I clicked TShek's post, it didn't open for whatever reason.

Oklahoma arguably has a worse resume than Baylor at this point, so it's weird that you're so focused on Baylor as this prime example of why this playoff scenario isn't good.

Disagree-OU has played a P5, albeit a below average one in UCLA.

How many games would this end up being, if you went all the way through? Would you have to tweak the regular season or anything? I clicked TShek's post, it didn't open for whatever reason.
Assuming the regular season remained the same (12 games + 1 for CCG), the teams who play for the NC would play in a max of 17 games. If they were to get to the NC without playing in their CCG, it would be 16 games.

There is still a lot of football to play and upsets are brewing.

But if things play out the way they should:
1. Big Ten Champ
2. SEC Champ
3. Clemson
4. Pac 12 or OU (my guess is Oregon gets it if they win but committee keeps Utah out)

You'd have two really pissed conferences if a one loss SEC team gets in ahead of TWO other one loss conference champs.
How would Committee potentially resolve a one loss SEC team (LSU or Bama) that beat Aub vs a one loss P12 champ that lost to Aub?

What would Vegas think about Bama or LSU vs OSU compared to Oregon, Utah or OU vs OSU?

No right answer. Will be fun.

Disagree-OU has played a P5, albeit a below average one in UCLA.
Your entire argument comes down to the fact that OU beat UCLA? Dude. They also lost to KSU, who Baylor beat handily, and Baylor doesn't have a loss. To this point Baylor has at least an equal resume OU, and possibly better.

Your entire argument comes down to the fact that OU beat UCLA? Dude. They also lost to KSU, who Baylor beat handily, and Baylor doesn't have a loss. To this point Baylor has at least an equal resume OU, and possibly better.
Seems OU and Baylor are likely to play two times.

Out of conference scheduling has got to matter-Baylor's OOC features the following:

Stephen F. Austin (1-8 FCS)
UTSA (3-5)
Rice (0-9)

You can't reward that.

Seems very unlikely a team ranked 5 -8 would be able to win three games against top 4. This ain’t CBB.
I'd agree with that in general, but upsets do happen. Regardless, I'd enjoy the match-ups much more than we get with the existing match-ups in the lower bowls.

Out of conference scheduling has got to matter-Baylor's OOC features the following:

Stephen F. Austin (1-8 FCS)
UTSA (3-5)
Rice (0-9)

You can't reward that.
Houston (3-6)
South Dakota (3-6 FCS)
UCLA (4-5)

Does it really matter, particularly when you add in the actual Loss OU took to a team Baylor beat handily? Again, Baylor will have their chance to prove they belong, but OU and Bama are both getting the botd in the rankings right now because of their reputation, nothing else.

Houston (3-6)
South Dakota (3-6 FCS)
UCLA (4-5)

Does it really matter, particularly when you add in the actual Loss OU took to a team Baylor beat handily? Again, Baylor will have their chance to prove they belong, but OU and Bama are both getting the botd in the rankings right now because of their reputation, nothing else.

Not entirely. Oklahoma has been much more impressive in Big 12 victories than Baylor.

Except for that pesky loss to KSU...

Right. But I am saying it is not just because they are Oklahoma. Baylor played a significantly easier non-conference schedule and has wins over Rice, TT, and WVU by just one possession. That does matter and is part of what the committee looks at when comparing resumes.

Houston (3-6)
South Dakota (3-6 FCS)
UCLA (4-5)

In my opinion, yes. You can't reward teams who don't play other Power 5's out of conference in my opinion. You let Baylor in if they go 12-0 you'll be telling the sport "Hey, its okay if you schedule like this"

In my opinion, yes. You can't reward teams who don't play other Power 5's out of conference in my opinion. You let Baylor in if they go 12-0 you'll be telling the sport "Hey, its okay if you schedule like this"
They won’t get rewarded. We have seen the Committee be consistent on this matter. Baylor better run the table. One loss Baylor is out.

But you can reward a team for losing? Your entire argument hinges on OU playing UCLA. We can agree to disagree

LOLOLOLOL imagine telling the college football world that an undefeated P5 schedule isn't good enough because the non-conference schedule was ****ty, but 1 or even 2 loss P5 programs are deserving because they played 4-5 UCLA in their OOC.

LOLOLOLOL imagine telling the college football world that an undefeated P5 schedule isn't good enough because the non-conference schedule was ****ty, but 1 or even 2 loss P5 programs are deserving because they played 4-5 UCLA in their OOC.

The rankings are fluid, but right now, Oklahoma has the better resume. It matters little because the two will eventually play head to head (maybe twice).

The rankings are fluid, but right now, Oklahoma has the better resume. It matters little because the two will eventually play head to head (maybe twice).
I think OU is out with one loss. I’m not advocating Sooners. I’m merely commenting on Baylor scenarios.
I was honestly just using OU as a comparison, and I hate schilling for Baylor, because I generally agree with the sentiment that they are frauds. I do believe an undefeated P5 program should never be left out of any CFP discussion, regardless of OOC record. Also, this whole stemmed from ahoel not liking the 16 team playoff because Baylor would currently be included in that format.

I was honestly just using OU as a comparison, and I hate schilling for Baylor, because I generally agree with the sentiment that they are frauds. I do believe an undefeated P5 program should never be left out of any CFP discussion, regardless of OOC record. Also, this whole stemmed from ahoel not liking the 16 team playoff because Baylor would currently be included in that format.

I would agree in almost all scenarios, but I could some extreme scenarios where a one-loss team should get the nod over an undefeated team.

Back