What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

Lake was always my #1, and should have always been our #1 because of the risk of the mighty Ohio State rising up and protecting its coach. That risk has always been there and Day's agent knows that. I feel like Day has been a smokescreen the whole time, and that we have an agreement with Jimmy Lake in place, with one major caveat.... Keep the pressure off him all week, so he can coach his kids and then he can tell them tomorrow morning that he is going, and everyone is happy for him and his new opportunity. If it comes out and Jimmy gets mad, maybe then it falls apart. RG is the master for counter espionage.

This is all part of my twisted imagination mind you, but it could be right?

This makes no sense. Day has a game Saturday with possible playoff implications for OSU. The Pac 12 game is for the right to go to the Rose Bowl-nothing else. Here's my read (and I'm basing this off what I'm seeing from our insiders and nationally)-I think RG has interviewed and has either an offer to or some sort of handshake agreement with Ryan Day. Makes sense given what Adam, Brian Howell, and now Renck are saying. As far as Thamel's tweet-Day probably said he wants this kept quiet until after the Big 10 championship game (which would make sense given this morning-I tweeted Thamel yesterday and said CU insiders like Ryan Day......which got a like from Troy Renck-which leads me to think I might be onto something). BTW-Lombardi said he heard Ryan Day pending a background check.

Last edited:
I’ve always wanted lake over day. Aside from always preferring defensive coaches I think the chances of lake staying were greater Bc of his pc12 ties. Day is an east coast guy. He would have jumped ship for a penn st type job the second it opened imo

It's not that K-State doesn't want him. Snyder doesn't want him to take over at HC. Snyder wants his son to take over in true nepotistic, country bumpkin style, they'll probably allow it.
Snyder wants that, but is not getting it. KSU is going to hire someone "outside the family"

I was walking through Love Field terminal changing planes. Spotted another guy wearing his Buff gear. Fans gotta represent when on the road! Damn straight. Especially when we are down. We talked for a bit about the coach and it was cool. Optimism was there. A dose of reality too.

Hang tight guys. I think we’ll be okay this time around. Just a feeling...

I know you guys are frustrated with the lack of leaks and tidbits of info to whet your appetite. That alone gives me comfort.

During the last search when I saw the perp walk of Butch coming for a visit I thought the search was f***ed up. Good people don’t want that attention too early.

RG is approaching this like economic development people would. Big companies looking to relocate or expand in your area don’t want publicity until the deal is done. You might get a sniff of something happening really late in the process, but it is never enough info to mess things up. Just to get you prepared for an announcement. Same thing with well run executive searches.

The tight information security is a good thing IMHO.

Twelve days of guesses, hunches, feelings, scoooops, and digging.
200w.gif

So, definitely not today, right? And if not today, certainly not this weekend...Monday? possibly Monday?

(just waiting)

a7lwinwlimk01.jpg
If the person is coaching in a CCG, we likely hear something by sunday, with no official announcement until wednesday or thursday. There is some NCAA coaching / athletic director conference in New York this week that RG is likely going to attend.

If the person is coaching in a CCG, we likely hear something by sunday, with no official announcement until wednesday or thursday. There is some NCAA coaching / athletic director conference in New York this week that RG is likely going to attend.
I would be surprised if it waits until Wednesday.

For those who've posted about the college game having shifted to an offensive driven game, what is meant by that?

Wilner points out that the PAC12 championship game features the leagues two best Defenses.

Georgia, Alabama, Clemson and Notre Dame fit which?

For those who've posted about the college game having shifted to an offensive driven game, what is meant by that?

Wilner points out that the PAC12 championship game features the leagues two best Defenses.

Top 10 in the CFP Rankings

Oklahoma - #1 scoring offense in the nation
Alabama - #2 scoring offense in the nation
Clemson - #5 scoring offense in the nation
Ohio State - #7 scoring offense in the nation
UCF - #8 scoring offense in the nation
Georgia - #13 scoring offense in the nation
Michigan - #21 scoring offense in the nation
Florida - #31 scoring offense in the nation
Notre Dame - #33 scoring offense in the nation
LSU - #44 scoring offense in the nation

Alabama-#6 total Defense.
Clemson-#7
Georgia-#12
ND-#22
Alabama and Clemson and Georgia have the best of both worlds

I know you guys are frustrated with the lack of leaks and tidbits of info to whet your appetite. That alone gives me comfort.

During the last search when I saw the perp walk of Butch coming for a visit I thought the search was f***ed up. Good people don’t want that attention too early.

RG is approaching this like economic development people would. Big companies looking to relocate or expand in your area don’t want publicity until the deal is done. You might get a sniff of something happening really late in the process, but it is never enough info to mess things up. Just to get you prepared for an announcement. Same thing with well run executive searches.

The tight information security is a good thing IMHO.
Agree the last search was an all time circus F***

Alabama-#3 scoring defense
Clemson-#4 scoring defense
Georgia-#10 scoring defense
Notre Dame-#11 scoring defense
Michigan-#13 scoring defense
UCF-#18 scoring defense
Florida-#21 scoring defense
LSU-#24 scoring defense

OU and Ohio State are clear outliers.

Alabama - #3 in scoring defense
Clemson - #4 in scoring defense
Georgia - #10 in scoring defense
Notre Dame - #11 in scoring defense
Michigan - #13 in scoring defense
UCF - #18 in scoring defense
Florida - #23 in scoring defense
LSU - #24 in scoring defense
Ohio State - #57 in scoring defense
Oklahoma - #100 in scoring defense

Average scoring defense ranking of the CFP top 10 - 26.3
Average scoring offense ranking of the CFP top 10 - 16.5

If you only want to look at the teams that truly have a shot (1-6) in the rankings right now...

1. Alabama - #2 in scoring / #3 in scoring defense
2. Clemson - #5 in scoring / #4 in scoring defense
3. ND - #33 in scoring / #11 in scoring defense
4. Georgia - #13 in scoring / #10 in scoring defense
5. Oklahoma - #1 in scoring / #100 in scoring defense
6. Ohio State - #7 in scoring / #57 in scoring defense

While there are some outliers on both sides, I think the offensive trend is definitely correct.

Alabama - #3 in scoring defense
Clemson - #4 in scoring defense
Georgia - #10 in scoring defense
Notre Dame - #11 in scoring defense
Michigan - #13 in scoring defense
UCF - #18 in scoring defense
Florida - #23 in scoring defense
LSU - #24 in scoring defense
Ohio State - #57 in scoring defense
Oklahoma - #100 in scoring defense

Average scoring defense ranking of the CFP top 10 - 26.3
Average scoring offense ranking of the CFP top 10 - 16.5

If you only want to look at the teams that truly have a shot (1-6) in the rankings right now...

1. Alabama - #2 in scoring / #3 in scoring defense
2. Clemson - #5 in scoring / #4 in scoring defense
3. ND - #33 in scoring / #11 in scoring defense
4. Georgia - #13 in scoring / #10 in scoring defense
5. Oklahoma - #1 in scoring / #100 in scoring defense
6. Ohio State - #7 in scoring / #57 in scoring defense

While there are some outliers on both sides, I think the offensive trend is definitely correct.

The clear outliers are Ohio State and OU.

It isn’t just college it is the game in general. You still need a good defense to win a championship but you cannot win on defense alone anymore. You need to be able to move the ball.

Back