What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

@Buffnik How many more games would CU have won if CU's offense didn't go into the tank in the second half of the season?

Taking the foot off the gas in one certainly ended up costing Mike MacIntyre his job.

Last time we were winning, we had Barnett who was an offensive coordinator.
Well, we averaged 38 ppg over the 1st 5 games. If we'd hit 38 in any of our last 7 during regulation (keeping opponent points the same):

USC - win
UW - win
OSU - win
UA - loss
WSU - win
Utah - win
Cal - win

I expect the offense to score at least one TD per quarter. I expect the defense to hold the opposition to less.

That is my definition of a balanced, winning and successful team.

I have nothing else to add. :(

Well, we averaged 38 ppg over the 1st 5 games. If we'd hit 38 in any of our last 7 during regulation (keeping opponent points the same):

USC - win
UW - win
OSU - win
UA - loss
WSU - win
Utah - win
Cal - win

Boom. That was what I was thinking.

I expect the offense to score at least one TD per quarter. I expect the defense to hold the opposition to less.

That is my definition of a balanced, winning and successful team.

I have nothing else to add. :(
You average about 3 offensive possessions a quarter. That may push 4 when faster paced style of play teams meet up.

I expect the offense to succeed most of the time, not just 1/3 or 1/4 of the time. So I want 10-14 points a quarter on offense. And I'm willing to give up 7-10 points a quarter on defense if I'm making that happen.

If we don't get an answer by Monday, this place is going to be like...

iu

I am willing to concede that if we have a high flying offense, we will usually lose to more talented teams we play in slush storms by about 2 scores.
I remain unconvinced that being good at just offense or just defense will translate to anything beyond mediocre.

The advent of the zone-read changed the game. All sorts of programs starting winning, that had lesser talent. If anything, to me, defenses are mostly catching up.

I remain unconvinced that being good at just offense or just defense will translate to anything beyond mediocre.

The advent of the zone-read changed the game. All sorts of programs starting winning, that had lesser talent. If anything, to me, defenses are mostly catching up.
I thought they would catch up once the NCAA fixed the rules exploit Chip had found on defensive substitutions. But they really haven't.

They had Feldman on the Pre Game Show but he only mentioned Mel Tucker (and Mason, lol), but he did make our interest sound pretty serious. At least he didn't say Leavitt.

@Duff Man and @Buffnik are arguing the same side of the coin and they don’t realize it yet.

Do you know why this age old debate of defense vs offense to win championships has still yet to be settled? It’s because what really wins championships is physicality, size, and speed.

In short, the biggest and most athletic players, when they impose superior physicality, will be the difference maker. Sometimes that’s on offense (Ohio state, Oklahoma) and sometimes a team focuses on building that on the defensive side of the ball (Michigan, Washington). And some lucky teams can out recruit everyone and do it on both sides in order to be truly dominate(Alabama, Clemson).

Then again, I’ve had a short glass of Don Julio already, so I could be full of ****. But I don’t think so.

@Duff Man and @Buffnik are arguing the same side of the coin and they don’t realize it yet.

Do you know why this age old debate of defense vs offense to win championships has still yet to be settled? It’s because what really wins championships is physicality, size, and speed.

In short, the biggest and most athletic players, when they impose superior physicality, will be the difference maker. Sometimes that’s on offense (Ohio state, Oklahoma) and sometimes a team focuses on building that on the defensive side of the ball (Michigan, Washington). And some lucky teams can out recruit everyone and do it on both sides in order to be truly dominate(Alabama, Clemson).

Then again, I’ve had a short glass of Don Julio already, so I could be full of ****. But I don’t think so.
I am impressed by your reasoning and might want to subscribe to your newsletter.

One final question, though, to test your mettle -- what is this revolutionary invention?
HudsuckerProxy.jpg

Buffalo has two 90+ yard scoring drives in the MAC CCG. That's gonna take a toll on NIU and that Buffalo squad is 10-2.

You average about 3 offensive possessions a quarter. That may push 4 when faster paced style of play teams meet up.

I expect the offense to succeed most of the time, not just 1/3 or 1/4 of the time. So I want 10-14 points a quarter on offense. And I'm willing to give up 7-10 points a quarter on defense if I'm making that happen.

Sure. But I said “at least one td per quarter”. At least.

Some teams you smoke the opponent and roll up points every drive. Some opponents have really good defenses and you don’t.

I still want at least one td/qtr vs those really good d’s. You put up AT LEAST 28 points per game with a very good defense on your team, your gonna win a lot of games.

Now this time I mean it! I’m gonna go sit in the corner and chew on my “Captain Obvious” trophy.

Last edited:
Do you think you can play offense like Oklahoma does and hold opponents consistently under 30 points? I mean, I guess they did it 6 times this season. But when they meet someone with comparable talent or an offense that's clicking they are going to give up 40+ playing their style (while expecting to score 60). I don't think of that as bad defense. Just as, back in the day as a basketball fan, the Showtime era Lakers played great defense even though ppg doesn't tell that story.
What I was saying was, people are saying “you EITHER can have a good offense OR a good defense, but not both”. Lame argument. The TYPE of offense can be debated. But to say you can’t have both just because of the head coach’s background is kind of asinine to me.

What I was saying was, people are saying “you EITHER can have a good offense OR a good defense, but not both”. Lame argument. The TYPE of offense can be debated. But to say you can’t have both just because of the head coach’s background is kind of asinine to me.
I think the argument, which has some credibility (but probably is not absolute), is that certain types of offenses, especially if they're "good," make it really difficult to have a good defense (at least when measured by the traditional measurements of points/yards per game - points/yards per possession might yield different results).

Back