What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

RG will need a trusted national source in case he needs to float or leak info.

I’d choose Feldman. Or Thamel. Or Forde.

Is there any kind of an AB poll anywhere that we can start putting in our vote on the next coach? Would be nice to take maybe the top 5 or so coaches that we think would be the best fit and have a poll to vote on? I am a bottom feeder, so I am asking the experts to bless us with a poll.
There would be all sorts of confusion and endless clarification:

Are we talking "realistic" candidates?
Are we voting for who we think should be hired or who will be hired?
Why isn't Condi on the list?

$4,000,000 doesn’t even get us in the Top 20 salaries. What is RG’s budget. If he wants to win the Pac 12 and play for a National Championship, at a minimum, he needs to offer $4M. At a minimum. All while he’s paying Mac $3M a year for 3 years.

I don’t think we can afford $4M plus. Therefore I think he goes for a top coordinator type.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach

Last edited:
$4,000,000 doesn’t even get us in the Top 20 salaries. What is RG’s budget. If he wants to win the Pac 12 and play for a National Championship, at a minimum, he needs to offer $4M. At a minimum. All while he’s paying Mac $3M a year minus whatever his new job pays for 3 years.

I don’t think we can afford $4M plus. Therefore I think he goes for a top coordinator type.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach
FIFY

And wtf is it with you old guys and USATODAY?

Seriously Clark?

New name someone might want to add a profile for- Mel Tucker - DC- Georgia Bulldogs
apparently per Bruce Feldman
He has experience in both the NFL and college. Big boy programs- Only concern is doesn't
look like any West coast connections.

New name someone might want to add a profile for- Mel Tucker - DC- Georgia Bulldogs
apparently per Bruce Feldman
He has experience in both the NFL and college. Big boy programs- Only concern is doesn't
look like any West coast connections.
You could add the profile?

You could add the profile?
Not trying to make you do all the work.... well maybe I am ...lol
I just noticed you seem to have a certain way of creating them with the 'blocks'
showing their job history. Not sure how to do that. I'm bad at computers.

There would be all sorts of confusion and endless clarification:

Are we talking "realistic" candidates?
Are we voting for who we think should be hired or who will be hired?
Why isn't Condi on the list?

Maybe we first vote to take the list down to the top 5 realistic candidates, and then vote again on the top 5 of who we all honestly think will be hired.

I know it’s a pipe dream and you all want to run the ball like it’s 1990...but I have two questions: 1; what is Leach being laid now? 2; how deep are CU’s pockets compared to WSU?

Maybe we first vote to take the list down to the top 5 realistic candidates, and then vote again on the top 5 of who we all honestly think will be hired.
I don't think anyone but RG knows who the top 5 are and he may not at this point either.
I love seeing who seems to be getting the top 'chatter' as a gauge on who's trending up.
Leave well enough alone and maybe once we know a candidate is out then they can be eliminated.

after the MNF game tonight... if Jedd Fisch can do anything remotely close to that here... uhhhhh YES PLEASE

Last edited:
After looking through the coaching bazaar (thank you, Mods), I have revised my top three choices. From the names that have been posted, my order would be-
- Dana Holgorsen
- Mel Tucker
- Ryan Day

I'm all in on Holgs...

All the fans here in WV are done with him (and have been for a couple years). He doesn't do it the way they want. They still yearn for the days of RichRod.

I'm all in on Holgs...

All the fans here in WV are done with him (and have been for a couple years). He doesn't do it the way they want. They still yearn for the days of RichRod.

richrod......ugh. i thought you were going to say Don Nehlan. lol. not feeling appreciated can be a powerful motivator......come on down Dana! I lived in Boulder for 28 years, couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Perhaps it's immature and completely meaningless to a coaching decision, but I can't 'Like' this metaphor enough.

YMSSR
As a Colorado native I always chuckle at the West Virginia “mountaineers”. Mountains?
cC16aXG.gif

Can I just say that it sure as hell appears that RG knows what he's doing?

1. Start with establishing the fact that he runs a "tight" AD that's not going to leak **** to the media. Doing that helps you get higher quality candidates. There are guys out there (who we all would probably be quite happy with) that are interested in the job, but there's no way in the world they would express interest if there was a chance their name could get leaked.

If you have a pretty good gig now that you don't want to risk losing, but actually would be interested in coaching CU because of _______________, ______________, etc (we can all fill in those blanks with lots of reasons why a coach would prefer CU to a number of other schools) - you can't express interest in CU if there's a reasonable chance your name gets out. But if you're confident that your candidacy will remain confidential - you're willing to throw your hat into the ring.

2. He wasn't speaking off the cuff when he said that he wants championships; "conference championships and national championships" to be exact - and there's a reason the national guys picked up on that, and are putting that quote in their stories. Coaches out there know that CU has invested quite a bit in facilities, and that the current AD is the one who made that happen. They know that the current AD didn't hire MM. They know that you can win championships at Colorado.

The type of coaches we want to hire want to work for programs that want to win championships. They don't want to work for programs that are happy with bowl games. RG putting it out there this way does one thing: it improves the quality of candidates that are going to be interested in the job.

It's RG's first high profile job hire - and he's going about it in exactly the right way.

I can't wait to see who we get.

Coaches out there know that CU has invested quite a bit in facilities, and that the current AD is the one who made that happen. They know that the current AD didn't hire MM. They know that you can win championships at Colorado.
This is critical in my thinking about the hire. There are those who think there are too many limitations at CU to get a highly qualified coach to Boulder. Too many loosing seasons in recent seasons. Too far from fertile recruiting grounds. No fudging on academics. Etc.

The flip side is that CU has top notch football facilities and major airport* nearby and tremendous academic support. Get a candidate to Boulder and let him see what CU and Boulder has to offer. There are going to be guys out there that can use these to their advantage and will take pride in doing so.

Now, the money part I don't know about. Is there a way to up the salary offer? That's the one area that seems to be a question at this time.

But don't tell me that CU can't consistently win in the Pac 12. I don't buy that. They've put money and thought into the football facilities and now RG needs to do so in this hire.

*I looked it up one time and found that there are direct flights into DIA from cities in 48 states.

Why even write this... It offers nothing of value to anyone, and god forbid local media helps in any capacity.
[redacted in jest cause the DP sports section is deplorable)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back