What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Staff Reasoned Thoughts/ Meltdown Thread

The problem we have is that BCS level athletes don't look at us as a BCS level program. Simply put we have sucked so bad for so long that we aren't on their list if they have options. This won't change until we change it and Embree didn't change it, he made it worse.

The way you start is to win the games you are supposed to. Don't get beat by CSU and Sac State, don't get blown off the field by Fresno State, don't lose to middle level programs in your conference by 40 points.

Once you can start doing these things then some better (still not the best but better) athletes will at least listen to you. If you can convince them that you are on the right path and building something they want to be a part of then you have a chance to improve.

What MM and his staff have shown at SJSU is that they are both pretty good at identifying some guys who other schools may have missed on and on doing the things that gives you credibility to build on on the field. If he can do that in Boulder then we will be on our way but it isn't going to be instant.

I was going to say something...but then MtnBuff came in and said it better.:nod:

This is how you build a program back (it's how Mac1 did it too). Start by winning a bit more and looking well coached. Get a few recruiting "steals" a year (even Embree did this) and the wins will help make that more and more possible. If the cards fall the right way, it's not terribly ridiculous to see us in a minor bowl game in two years. To go from our worst season EVER, to a bowl game two years later would be a very nice (and quick) turnaround. If we can keep our coach from running to a better job after that...then we are on our way to bigger and better things soon afterward.

We're gonna have a young staff.

Brian Lindgren-32
Klayton Adams-29
Andy La Russa- I can't find his age but he is below 35
Charles Clark- 28

Liver we tried that with the last staff we hired bad ass-recruiters (on paper) and we got 1 half decent class and 2 terrible ones. Very few people out of the gate are going to be able to recruit well in this situation, Les Miles/Nick Saban, sure; but any coach we reasonably could have gotten isn't going to out-recruit the top half of the pac-12 until this team looks like something like a football team and not a bunch of dudes playing sand-lot.

We need to go out play solid, well coached ball, beat the Utah's, Wazzu's, and OOC schools we should and at that point we can talk about trying to out recruit people. Right now we just need to stop out-stupding them.

This.

Maybe McIntyre puts us back on solid footing and leaves. Maybe he wins it all. Maybe he sucks as bad as Embree. Ill reserve judgement until year 2 or 3. There is no quick turn around to this debacle unless we drop out of the pac 12 and play ball with the little schools (which we also cant beat). All I expect next year is a better coached team and 2 wins.

Under Embree the recruiting was piss poor. If McIntyre is at least pulling in decent classes there is hope. Talent upgrades are pretty important for future success if your in as bad a shape as we are. Someone posted that we get a lot of kids back next year and if they have potential than maybe things improve with better coaches. A tall order, imho.

I really dont care if McIntyre brings the SJSU staff including the volleyball team and receptionist; he flat out had success there and turned it around. There is an obvious comfort level and team chemistry among the coaches (Embree struggled here) and that will help. In order of priority they need to 1. Maximize the talent they have and 2. Recruit players to a Pac12 caliber. If they do those two then we will start winning. If they dont they will be replaced.

We're gonna have a young staff.

Brian Lindgren-32
Klayton Adams-29
Andy La Russa- I can't find his age but he is below 35
Charles Clark- 28

I like young coaches. Will probably relate to recruits better too.

I don't get why Hagan is going to be on the staff.

Not only recruiting top athletes is important, we must have a coaching staff that can develop players. Development has been seriously lacking the past two coaching staffs.

Last edited:
Hagan is going to have an administrative role, does not sound like he will be a coach.

IIRC there was an article when we brought Hagan back in 05? where he said he sees himself working for CU in some capacity for the remainder of his working career

IIRC there was an article when we brought Hagan back in 05? where he said he sees himself working for CU in some capacity for the remainder of his working career

well I see myself being inside Mila Kunis, but the restraining order says something different.

The way I look at it is that it is the new coach's ass on the line. We expect him to win...his job and reputation depend on that...let him bring in whomever he wants. He's going to be the one we blame if it doesn't work. We have to assume he's committed to doing the best he can and choosing the best people he can find that will allow him to succeed. After all, that's where all his personal carrot and stick incentives are.

And part of this may be assembling a staff that he knows well and is in synch with. He might be better able to "hit the ground running" with some sort of continuity if he brings a whole group in together that was already functioning like a well-oiled machine rather than having to try out new pieces and see how they fit during an actual season. What if he brought in a guy like Stitt as OC (as so many here seem to want) and they didn't see eye to eye? (But it took an actual season of miscommunication and dysfunction to figure out that fact?).

Let's trust the man to bring to the table what his coaching record demonstrates he's brought to the table before. It's part of why you hire a guy to begin with.

Amen, brother. This is everything I was going to say. We want him to win quick as possible. Perhaps the best chance is if he does not change too many pieces of what was wildly successfull at SJSU. All great coaches started in lower ranks. Most anyway. Let him hire who he thinks will give him the best chance to win. Wait and watch...plenty of time for bitching after next season if we still look unorganized.

You still here? Thought I told you to go dig a foxhole!

Talk football. Your military jabs are weak and LAME. You need to do some push-ups and get your sensitive ass in shape.

Gasp! Some buff fans don't think every hire mike bohn comes up with is great. It's done with so no since in bitching about it anymore. Go buffs.

Talk football. Your military jabs are weak and LAME. You need to do some push-ups and get your sensitive ass in shape.

Gasp! Some buff fans don't think every hire mike bohn comes up with is great. It's done with so no since in bitching about it anymore. Go buffs.

La di da: I've got me under your skin, la da da!..........You're right: no sense bitching....you can stop anytime now, unless this post truly indicates YOU have! I'm very happy with HCMM.

Back