What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Colorado State Game Thread

Are you sure? The 2016 defense was better than this one and it's not close
2016 team has better secondary talent for sure, and we don't have anyone as effective as Jimmie Gilbert yet. That said I see a lot of similarity between this team and 2016 team. Keep in mind that we played significantly easier schedule in 2016. The Pac 12 was not as good as this year. The last two games (vs. UW and vs OkSU) tells you how bad our run D was in 2016. We never had chance in those two games.

I also question the scheme we have from coach Kelly. I think this scheme is good if you have studs everywhere, and I believe we don't have that in our current team yet.

Well, when all is said and done the POS CSU HC has single handedly elevated the stupid Rocky Mtn Showdown to must see TV for next season. Way to go Ass Holio…..
Comparing last night's game to the 2016 UCLA game in Boulder as a standard < which I believed for the longest time I'd ever see again...the bar was raised.
The approach Knorville chose was obvious within minutes of the first quarter....as a coach he had two weeks to prepare and coach up the two aspects of the game that would give his team the best chance for success at all cost (penalties).
1) Mentally antagonize verbally
2) Physical play that exceeds the normal
I'm a boomer but I'm not blind, the amount of **** talking on display for all to see is reaching a point that it's an acceptable part of the game.
When the **** talking isn't sufficient the next step is physical in the form of retaliation.
The BS we and everyone else who watched will decide who was ultimately responsible.

2016 team has better secondary talent for sure, and we don't have anyone as effective as Jimmie Gilbert yet. That said I see a lot of similarity between this team and 2016 team. Keep in mind that we played significantly easier schedule in 2016. The Pac 12 was not as good as this year. The last two games (vs. UW and vs OkSU) tells you how bad our run D was in 2016. We never had chance in those two games.

I also question the scheme we have from coach Kelly. I think this scheme is good if you have studs everywhere, and I believe we don't have that in our current team yet.
This is a bowl team, but its not a title contender.

That's a massive step in the right direction from this time last year.

This, it wasn't targeting by the rules because the heads weren't involved.

I already have a problem with what I am going to write because it creates another huge judgement call that could potentially change games but I thing the rules should provide that if a player hits another player after the play is clearly over in a manner that does or is likely to cause injury the player making the hit should be gone in addition to the unsportsmanlike penalty of 15 yards, similar in fashion to the targeting. I see the hit on Hunter as a clear example of how that rule would be applied.

Football is a dangerous enough game for the players inside the rules. They shouldn't have to deal with headhunters trying to take them out of games.
I actually don’t like the targeting rule as it is regardless. Many of them are the result of a tackler beginning his tackle after which the runner goes into a slide or lowers his head into the tackler’s path.

In the case of Travis Hunter there was flagrant intent to injure. Travis could’ve had his career ended or worse on that hit.

I remember a John Lynch hit on a defenseless receiver in which he was penalized but also fined $40k after a post game review.

In the least, the NCAA should be able to review the hit and suspend the player a game.

The three down linemen were way better in 16 I agree the secondary's are different but then so is the game.

This is a bowl team, but its not a title contender.

That's a massive step in the right direction from this time last year.
Oh don't get me wrong, I am super excited about our future, even if we didn't pull out with a win last night. There is 0 doubt in my mind that we will be title contender next season.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am super excited about our future, even if we didn't pull out with a win last night. There is 0 doubt in my mind that we will be title contender next season.
marlon brando art GIF

I actually don’t like the targeting rule as it is regardless. Many of them are the result of a tackler beginning his tackle after which the runner goes into a slide or lowers his head into the tackler’s path.

In the case of Travis Hunter there was flagrant intent to injure. Travis could’ve had his career ended or worse on that hit.

I remember a John Lynch hit on a defenseless receiver in which he was penalized but also fined $40k after a post game review.

In the least, the NCAA should be able to review the hit and suspend the player a game.
I agree with your point the NCAA should be able to disqualify a player for an obvious intent to injure.
Targeting as it's ruled now doesn't allow for accidental and only assumes the worst was intended.

Still wanna take down 1-2 of the ranked teams we'll play the rest of the way. No reason why that can't happen.

I still think USC will bring a fair amount of attention unless CU gets housed next week.

unless CU gets housed next week
I will probably get downvoted a lot, but I think this is what going to happen.

The upset win against ranked team, IMO, is more likely to happen against UCLA (could be shoot out) or Utah (nightmare match up, but we always give them tough game except for last year)

Our weaknesses have been exposed and are an open book. They will be exploited going forward. If we can’t figure out a way to correct them, the remainder of the season will be difficult.

Also, we can’t afford injuries, period. We have zero depth in key positions. And in some cases, our starters would be backups on a deeper roster.

NVM. ITB posted it.
I watched GA vs S Car. yesterday and there was plenty of talking on the field...I'm pretty sure there weren't any cheap shots a little chippy at times but nothing like last night. The only explanation I've arrived at is the head coach, I'm not saying that noville instructed the OL coach to work on dangerous blocks but one has wonder...does the finger point at the players only?

I watched GA vs S Car. yesterday and there was plenty of talking on the field...I'm pretty sure there weren't any cheap shots a little chippy at times but nothing like last night. The only explanation I've arrived at is the head coach, I'm not saying that noville instructed the OL coach to work on dangerous blocks but one has wonder...does the finger point at the players only?
It would make sense that the coaches attitudes were picked up and acted upon.

Our weaknesses have been exposed and are an open book. They will be exploited going forward. If we can’t figure out a way to correct them, the remainder of the season will be difficult.

Also, we can’t afford injuries, period. We have zero depth in key positions. And in some cases, our starters would be backups on a deeper roster.
This works both ways. Our opponents weaknesses are being exposed and they will also have injuries.

I've been thinking about the decision to go on offense first in overtime and did some goggling. This is an article from a statistic journal in 2007, so the data is old. But a fascinating analysis and ultimate confirms that Prime is coaching on a whole other level. The key here is that despite the conventional belief, the team that scores as TD first wins 70% of the time. CSU had a chance to win if they went for 2, which I see as one of the many disadvantages of going first. But I think Prime would have considered that Norvell has no balls as a part of this decision. Anyway, I copied the more interesting parts below if you are a super nerd. Last paragraph is so cool though!

An Analysis of the Defense First Strategy in
College Football Overtime Games

Peter A. Rosen and Rick L. Wilson
Abstract
Division 1-A college football adopted overtime rules in 1996. There have been 328 overtime
games since, and only four times have coaches opted to go on offense first upon winning the coin
toss. Thus, there is an accepted belief that starting on defense first is advantageous, as validated
by surveying college coaches. This study examines past game data to analyze whether there is
truly an advantage to being on defense first. Results show some support for this idea, but that there
may also be situations where not following the defense first strategy is worthwhile. Implications
to coaches are discussed.

5. DISCUSSION

The results of the analysis provide marginal support for the widely-held
conventional wisdom that starting on defense in overtime is advantageous.
However, in situations where pressure is seven points (the offense first team
scores a touchdown) and the defense first team is not a large favorite (13.5 points
or more) the offense first team holds a considerable advantage. In general, the
current strategy practiced by the coaches cannot be discounted as incorrect.
Because winning the coin toss provided only the slightest advantage, the
college football overtime process can likely be considered a fair process. The
concept of fairness is not easy to quantify, but the game data do not suggest that
losing the coin flip is an insurmountable disadvantage, as is the case in the NFL.
Some have criticized the college football overtime process for not including all
aspects of special teams and being too easy to score, but in terms of apparent
fairness to the teams, it does quite well.
Also, while favorites win more often than not, the expected number of
wins for favorites is lower that what one could expect by using Stern’s Law (as
discussed in the results section). Also, it was somewhat surprising that home field
advantage has little impact on game outcomes. Both of these phenomenon could
be due to the relative small number of possessions in overtime and the possibility
that a single, unusual play will decide the outcome.
It was shown that a team who starts on offense and scores a touchdown
wins over 70% of the time. The results also provided support that the team on
offense first should not settle for a field goal if at all possible. Because of this
evidence and the increased winning percentage by scoring a touchdown in the
first possession, coaches should consider being less conservative in their play
calling on the initial possession. This could include more risk-taking in specific
plays, or utilizing all four offensive downs to keep possessions alive. The micro-
strategy involved is worthy of future investigation.
If a team loses a coin flip, the study shows that it is still possible to use
this advantageously. There may be times when a coach who wins the coin toss
should consider eschewing conventional wisdom – for example, with a high-
powered offense or with a nothing-to-lose attitude, the psychological impact of
scoring first may outweigh the perfect information a team gets from playing
offense second.
Unfortunately, as few coaches have dared to be different, there is little
data on coin flip choice impact. Football coaches seem to be inherently risk-
averse, probably due to a lack of job security, and this risk of practicing
unconventional decision-making likely leaves little chance for someone to choose
an offense first strategy in the future.

I've been thinking about the decision to go on offense first in overtime and did some goggling. This is an article from a statistic journal in 2007, so the data is old. But a fascinating analysis and ultimate confirms that Prime is coaching on a whole other level. The key here is that despite the conventional belief, the team that scores as TD first wins 70% of the time. CSU had a chance to win if they went for 2, which I see as one of the many disadvantages of going first. But I think Prime would have considered that Norvell has no balls as a part of this decision. Anyway, I copied the more interesting parts below if you are a super nerd. Last paragraph is so cool though!

An Analysis of the Defense First Strategy in
College Football Overtime Games

Peter A. Rosen and Rick L. Wilson
Abstract
Division 1-A college football adopted overtime rules in 1996. There have been 328 overtime
games since, and only four times have coaches opted to go on offense first upon winning the coin
toss. Thus, there is an accepted belief that starting on defense first is advantageous, as validated
by surveying college coaches. This study examines past game data to analyze whether there is
truly an advantage to being on defense first. Results show some support for this idea, but that there
may also be situations where not following the defense first strategy is worthwhile. Implications
to coaches are discussed.

5. DISCUSSION

The results of the analysis provide marginal support for the widely-held
conventional wisdom that starting on defense in overtime is advantageous.
However, in situations where pressure is seven points (the offense first team
scores a touchdown) and the defense first team is not a large favorite (13.5 points
or more) the offense first team holds a considerable advantage. In general, the
current strategy practiced by the coaches cannot be discounted as incorrect.
Because winning the coin toss provided only the slightest advantage, the
college football overtime process can likely be considered a fair process. The
concept of fairness is not easy to quantify, but the game data do not suggest that
losing the coin flip is an insurmountable disadvantage, as is the case in the NFL.
Some have criticized the college football overtime process for not including all
aspects of special teams and being too easy to score, but in terms of apparent
fairness to the teams, it does quite well.
Also, while favorites win more often than not, the expected number of
wins for favorites is lower that what one could expect by using Stern’s Law (as
discussed in the results section). Also, it was somewhat surprising that home field
advantage has little impact on game outcomes. Both of these phenomenon could
be due to the relative small number of possessions in overtime and the possibility
that a single, unusual play will decide the outcome.
It was shown that a team who starts on offense and scores a touchdown
wins over 70% of the time. The results also provided support that the team on
offense first should not settle for a field goal if at all possible. Because of this
evidence and the increased winning percentage by scoring a touchdown in the
first possession, coaches should consider being less conservative in their play
calling on the initial possession. This could include more risk-taking in specific
plays, or utilizing all four offensive downs to keep possessions alive. The micro-
strategy involved is worthy of future investigation.
If a team loses a coin flip, the study shows that it is still possible to use
this advantageously. There may be times when a coach who wins the coin toss
should consider eschewing conventional wisdom – for example, with a high-
powered offense or with a nothing-to-lose attitude, the psychological impact of
scoring first may outweigh the perfect information a team gets from playing
offense second.
Unfortunately, as few coaches have dared to be different, there is little
data on coin flip choice impact. Football coaches seem to be inherently risk-
averse, probably due to a lack of job security, and this risk of practicing
unconventional decision-making likely leaves little chance for someone to choose
an offense first strategy in the future.
I was glad to hear Coach address his decision to go first on offense in his opening statement of the post-game presser.

If you missed it or have not watched, he basically said the Buffs offense had the momentum and Shedeur was rolling after the 98 yd drive. He wanted to keep the pressure on and force the Rams to respond.

Can’t argue with the outcome, so bravo Coach Prime!

Targeting is helmets. No. 11 is a world class scumbag but it’s not targeting as the rules are currently set up. Someone correctly if I’m wrong.

But yeah, it was totally Jack Tatum bull****. Maybe my WYO Cowboys can knock this clown’s dick into the dirt.
Wyoming and Air Force will likely both have their way with CSU.

Air Force is going to win 10 games this year, and that would be four years in a year they've done that.

I'm struggling to see another loss on Wyoming's schedule.

I don’t believe this has been said yet, but it felt like CSU ran a wide open drag/crossing route 1 out of every 3 plays for 15+ yards.

It was crazy. Stop that one play and it changes the complexion of the entire game.

And we better get that figured out for next week.

I don’t think we should ever rush the field against little brother, but voted yes because **** that guy.
What if they rushed the field to stand strong with our guy Travis Hunter who was taken out by a dirty hit? We’re all Buffs together…. Shoulder to Shoulder.

Back