What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Construction Update Thread

You're right. No difference between KFC yum center and a stadium named after a philanthropist or donor.

It can make a difference. I agree. But often it wouldn't. For example, if the CEC was the Coors Brewing Events Center instead of the Coors Events Center it would be a distinction that would mean about zero to me.

This isn't the professional leagues where the teams pocket and profit from the corporate sponsors on the stadium. If CU has to "sell out" and put a lame corporate name on the stadium and arena, in order to get a few multi-million dollar deals over 10+ years, then so be it. If you haven't noticed, CU makes it hail, not rain, in fundraising relative to the P12 and other P5 elites.

Read buffnik, saw USC and UCLA and wrote USC then rose bowl, oh well. Fixed.

Yeah. I transposed (had my list alphabetically but had looked up the Rose before the Coliseum). You were probably typing while I was fixing. No big whoop.

Whatever, it is what it is. Didn't expect to get over ruled by EVERYONE willing to sell out the stadiums name. I can't change it so if they do just have to accept it.

This isn't the professional leagues where the teams pocket and profit from the corporate sponsors on the stadium. If CU has to "sell out" and put a lame corporate name on the stadium and arena, in order to get a few multi-million dollar deals over 10+ years, then so be it. If you haven't noticed, CU makes it hail, not rain, in fundraising relative to the P12 and other P5 elites.

Yep. If an extra $500k a year or more in naming rights means an extra $50k or more per assistant coach position (as an example), that's a major change to our competitive position.

I guess I just don't care what it is called, I will always call it Folsom just like mile high will always be mile high but since the ad isn't the most well of financially it would hurt to get passed up even more.

resers-fine-foods-dill-pickle-dip-8-oz_2141370.jpg

The Resers behind Oregon State's stadium.

You're distinguishing between a donor coughing up money to get the stadium named after them versus a company doing the same, but for marketing purposes? I don't really see much of a difference - both are paying for naming rights.
There can be a difference.
Sincerely,
Enron Field

You're right. No difference between KFC yum center and a stadium named after a philanthropist or donor.
Depends on the name of the donor if your main concern is that it not sound silly. CU sold the naming rights for a bathroom in the ATLAS building to Brad Feld for a mere $25k a few years back so we have no shame at this point.

As long as it is Whatever stadium at Folsom Field I could care less. Would love Google. Would hate Frontier. Would love Adam and Eve. Would hate New Belgium. Would love Ashley Madison. Would hate InBev. You get the drift. It will not matter. Just get the $s

I'm wondering if naming rights are going to happen any time soon.

LA Coliseum naming rights just netted USC $4.7 million per year for 15 years from United Airlines. LINK

That's a new record and CU wouldn't be in that stratosphere. But there was another deal just announced that's more relevant:

University of New Mexico just sold its naming rights for both its football stadium & basketball arena to Dreamstyle, a home remodeling company, for $10 million over 10 years. LINK

I'd think that CU can get somewhere north of the UNM deal. Maybe half of what USC got for the Coliseum alone by doing selling rights for both Folsom and Coors?

I'm wondering if naming rights are going to happen any time soon.

LA Coliseum naming rights just netted USC $4.7 million per year for 15 years from United Airlines. LINK

That's a new record and CU wouldn't be in that stratosphere. But there was another deal just announced that's more relevant:

University of New Mexico just sold its naming rights for both its football stadium & basketball arena to Dreamstyle, a home remodeling company, for $10 million over 10 years. LINK

I'd think that CU can get somewhere north of the UNM deal. Maybe half of what USC got for the Coliseum alone by doing selling rights for both Folsom and Coors?
Good for UNM. That's a heck of a lot better than Wise Pies Arena. That's awful.

If naming rights are really under consideration, I hope they don't butcher the Folsom name. Isn't Coors already a 'naming right' in and of itself?

They attached the "Coors" name to the Events Center when I was a student. Basically, it was a "thank you" to the Coors family, who had given a boatload of money to the school over the years.

Back