What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

I think that saying that 2 programs which have been in the 4-team playoff aren't places you can win a national championship is ridiculous. Actually makes me question the coach and whether the ceiling is his and he's too focused on what he perceives he didn't have & using that as an excuse for his shortfall.
Is it ridiculous? ND has been thumped in just about every Playoff game they've played and coaching was not the reason for that. Riley had Oklahoma at its peak and still couldn't win a playoff game. I think both saw the ceiling with recruiting/resources and moved on to places that has unlimited in both areas. Although, Kelly may end up being a terrible fit for LSU.

Every job.

It's not the job, it's the person and his values. Most coaches at this level are looking for the next challenge and chasing something bigger. Not many prioritize being a multi millionaire in a place they love and at which they have total job security. If CU can find its Whittingham or Ferentz (or Few to make a hoops reference), that would be awesome. But it's a bit of a unicorn to find someone who is both driven like you need but also satisfied at where they are & what they have.

P.S. There's also a lot of pressure from their agents and peers to drive up the market value for the HC job by jumping for pay upgrades. With that, there's very little loyalty from the employer. How quickly did we turn on MM after COY award and a 10-win season? He was looking, so I'm not talking about RG turning. We fans were over him quickly - 1 year after his big season - despite putting out the dumpster fire he inherited and then having success. No wonder coaches think it's best to get out when their market value is high.

I disagree on the MM situation. He wasted all his equity with the fanbase from the 2016 season on a lackluster 2017. This was after he publicly feuded with DC Pepsi, whose arrival coincided with the magnificent 2016 season and who left at the end, and also after the Tumpkin fiasco. Yet, I still think the majority (admittedly probably a small majority) of the fanbase was behind MM after a 5-0 start, but when Oregon State happened the team quit and his goose was cooked.

He had plenty of chances post 2016: he could have buried his ego and sought a pay raise for Leavitt, he could have handled the Tumpkin situation better, he could have hired a more inspiring DC, he could have RUN THE ****ING BALL against Oregon State in the 2H in 2018. If he had won just one more game in 2018 he would have kept his job.

I disagree on the MM situation. He wasted all his equity with the fanbase from the 2016 season on a lackluster 2017. This was after he publicly feuded with DC Pepsi, whose arrival coincided with the magnificent 2016 season and who left at the end, and also after the Tumpkin fiasco. Yet, I still think the majority (admittedly probably a small majority) of the fanbase was behind MM after a 5-0 start, but when Oregon State happened the team quit and his goose was cooked.

He had plenty of chances post 2016: he could have buried his ego and sought a pay raise for Leavitt, he could have handled the Tumpkin situation better, he could have hired a more inspiring DC, he could have RUN THE ****ING BALL against Oregon State in the 2H in 2018. If he had won just one more game in 2018 he would have kept his job.
Fwiw, MM felt (justifiably) that he was being railroaded on staff then lied to and not supported on Tumpkin as PD & RG played CYA. He was pissed and if he'd won another game or two his agent would have been able to land him a new P5 HC job.

Fwiw, MM felt (justifiably) that he was being railroaded on staff then lied to and not supported on Tumpkin as PD & RG played CYA. He was pissed and if he'd won another game or two his agent would have been able to land him a new P5 HC job.
That's probably true. i remember the rumors about Mississippi and Baylor.

Again, that whole fiasco comes down to Phil. It's entirely unclear to me why Phil wasn't fired then. For cause.

I went to Temple Law school. What he did there was Jesus like.

He is a phenomenal coach.
Jesus Reaction GIF

I went to Temple Law school. What he did there was Jesus like.

He is a phenomenal coach.

I don’t even live in Philly and I know he was given a great foundation. He had two coaches before him… who didn’t get fired, but promoted to P5 jobs!!

Al Golden turned temple around from bottom dweller to a bowl team. He got promoted to Miami. Then Steve Adazio got a 9-4 or 8-5 season in during his two years before he moved to Boston College!

CU is in a worse spot then temple was.

I don’t even live in Philly and I know he was given a great foundation. He had two coaches before him… who didn’t get fired, but promoted to P5 jobs!!

Al Golden turned temple around from bottom dweller to a bowl team. He got promoted to Miami. Then Steve Adazio got a 9-4 or 8-5 season in during his two years before he moved to Boston College!

CU is in a worse spot then temple was.
But Temple doesn't even have one Flatiron...how can that be?

MM had every right to be pissed at RG and PD. RG playing games with MM in regards to Chev and basically forcing MM to move on from Lindgren should have been a huge tell for all of us. MM would have eventually shown how mediocre he was if the Tumpkin and Chev issues didn't come up. It was just sped up with the incompetence of PD and RG

MM had every right to be pissed at RG and PD. RG playing games with MM in regards to Chev and basically forcing MM to move on from Lindgren should have been a huge tell for all of us. MM would have eventually shown how mediocre he was if the Tumpkin and Chev issues didn't come up. It was just sped up with the incompetence of PD and RG
I forgot about the fact that Lindgren was OC for 3 years before they hired Chiaverini to be Co-OC in January 2016. That was like 18 months after Rick George was hired.

I wonder how much RG forced that on MM, and how much was Lindgren being forced out vs. deciding "**** it, they demoted me so I'm headed elsewhere."

The perception was that Chiv really bumped up recruiting when he got to CU, but MM naming him as recruiting coordinator coincided with the first 10-win season in 15 years. Obviously long term Chiv poisoned the well at CU. I wonder how different things would have been if MM hired someone else as WR coach after the 2015 season.

I forgot about the fact that Lindgren was OC for 3 years before they hired Chiaverini to be Co-OC in January 2016. That was like 18 months after Rick George was hired.

I wonder how much RG forced that on MM, and how much was Lindgren being forced out vs. deciding "**** it, they demoted me so I'm headed elsewhere."

The perception was that Chiv really bumped up recruiting when he got to CU, but MM naming him as recruiting coordinator coincided with the first 10-win season in 15 years. Obviously long term Chiv poisoned the well at CU. I wonder how different things would have been if MM hired someone else as WR coach after the 2015 season.
Just a reminder that MT refused to keep Chev in an OC role when he took the job but an expanded Chev role seemed to part of the KD hire. Chev was RG's boy. I'm convinced the RG plan was for KD to stabilize and mentor Chev to take over at the end of KD's contract.

How much of that was the B4L crowd that has way too much influence on the AD?
The same group that opposed Bohn after GB was fired, lost their sh!t when DH made significant changes while publicly ripping the state of the program he inherited, bitched about the BB practice facility because they wanted fb to get all resources, angrily blasted Bohn to his face at their meetings while he politically kept attending, and forced the hiring of Embree and the termination of Bohn? Let's just say I don't see them as a simple networking and charitable organization for legacy Buff athletes.

I'm pretty sure Lindgren left on his own, but he saw the writing on the wall and wanted no part of it. He obviously made the right decision.

Texas Tech has pretty decent football and basketball programs, right? On my way back from my reunion in San Angelo I drove through Lubbock. I mean, come on! You cannot convince me that we cannot recruit to Boulder. CU is just waiting for the chemical components that will be the perfect ingredients to ignite this program. I believe that!
Moses, don't even start. Yes, Lubbock is a **** hole, I know. Be nice.

Just a reminder that MT refused to keep Chev in an OC role when he took the job but an expanded Chev role seemed to part of the KD hire. Chev was RG's boy. I'm convinced the RG plan was for KD to stabilize and mentor Chev to take over at the end of KD's contract.
Chev is/was Lance Carl's boy. Uncomfirmed rumor that went around the CC during Chev's time here is that Chev had dirt on LC and threatened to expose him if he was ever fired.

That's probably true. i remember the rumors about Mississippi and Baylor.

Again, that whole fiasco comes down to Phil. It's entirely unclear to me why Phil wasn't fired then. For cause.
Add the John Eastman situation. Eastman was literally plotting a coup using his CU email.

Paging Todd Saliman......

Back