What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

Agree with your logic wholeheartedly. I fear you have already thought through what we need in a coaching hire more than RG will in total. Another off the radar hire who RG doesn’t fear would take another job if we have success feels probable. Also, would be par for the course for this administration.
Nah. Firing Dorrell was about optics just as much as anything, and they don’t make that move, pay out $10m+ only to go back to some obscure name.

IMO, RG has always known what he wants in a coach and Mel Tucker was it. Dorrell was a surrender/“**** this ****” hire and I think with the **** show it created, and now with what seems to be some actual backing by the President, he will have the opportunity to get it right and they will go all-in to try to fix the football program.

It may not be a Tom Herman or Matt Rhule kind of name, but I think the hire is going to be generally well received.

I think RG requiring the new coach to keep Sanford on as OC will calm a lot of nerves.
banned ban GIF
?

Nah. Firing Dorrell was about optics just as much as anything, and they don’t make that move, pay out $10m+ only to go back to some obscure name.

IMO, RG has always known what he wants in a coach and Mel Tucker was it. Dorrell was a surrender/“**** this ****” hire and I think with the **** show it created, and now with what seems to be some actual backing by the President, he will have the opportunity to get it right and they will go all-in to try to fix the football program.

It may not be a Tom Herman or Matt Rhule kind of name, but I think the hire is going to be generally well received.
I have great doubts about RG being able to land a good coach. If he gets to select the next coach and they’re just another meh mediocre dude, I’m sure people will receive them well. It won’t make it a good hire.

I have great doubts about RG being able to land a good coach. If he gets to select the next coach and they’re just another meh mediocre dude, I’m sure people will receive them well. It won’t make it a good hire.
He landed Mel Tucker. He was supposedly in talks with Ryan Day. I don’t know how anyone can be a fan of hiring Tucker and also say “I have doubts about him being able to land a good coach”.

We’ll see. “Well received” and “Good hire” have different meanings with the latter being something that only time will tell.

I have some confidence - SOME - that he will make a good hire.

I have ZERO confidence in the contract not having some sort of dumb****ery in it.

He landed Mel Tucker. He was supposedly in talks with Ryan Day. I don’t know how anyone can be a fan of hiring Tucker and also say “I have doubts about him being able to land a good coach”.

We’ll see. “Well received” and “Good hire” have different meanings with the latter being something that only time will tell.
Many people regress at their job. Rick George is a prime example. Rick George royally screwed up the Dorrell hire. That is a fireable offense in and of itself. Then, when you add on him screwing up the Macintrye extension, Tucker buyout terms, and the entirety of the Dorrell contract, you should get game over.

Many people regress at their job. Rick George is a prime example. Rick George royally screwed up the Dorrell hire. That is a fireable offense in and of itself. Then, when you add on him screwing up the Macintrye extension, Tucker buyout terms, and the entirety of the Dorrell contract, you should get game over.
I completely agree with everything you said. But since he’s been given a “second” (third) chance, I still think he is capable of hiring a good coach.

You’re still an optimistic fan. No logic changes that!
It’s optimism for sure, but it’s also reading the tea leaves w/r/t admin/presidential support, and as I said, he hired Tucker. Your statement that RG isn’t “capable” of hiring a good coach is patently false if you, in fact, believe MT was a good hire or is a good coach (which you clearly do).

It’s optimism for sure, but it’s also reading the tea leaves w/r/t admin/presidential support, and as I said, he hired Tucker. Your statement that RG isn’t “capable” of hiring a good coach is patently false if you, in fact, believe MT was a good hire or is a good coach (which you clearly do).
Rick George was able to hire a good coach.
Does not equal
Rick George is not able to hire a good coach.

I wonder if the next HC will have to re-hire Chev. Seems plausible.
chev looks like a ****ing genius right about now. he's working for chip kelly, ucla looks credible, and CU is a ****ing train wreck.

getting fired by kd is a ****ing badge of honor.

i'm not saying this makes him a must-hire... i don't believe in that and if he isn't going to recruit and be a position coach, he is better off with kelly, but he looks a whole lot ****ing better after what we have been through.

i think rg can make a good hire... i think we need a few belts and suspenders on that however. i also think the foundational changes we are all asking for are pretty ****ing important.

also, phil is a douche.

that is all.

Lol fair enough. The mistake with Dorrell was huge, I agree. As I said initially, though, I think RG knows what he wants in a HC and has support now to swing again. We’ll see
My theory is that the Tucker departure broke him. He’s a worse Athletic Director as a result. If he proves me wrong and hires a home run like Tom Herman, I will be pleasantly shocked.

What I expect is that he hires another meh coach because of “stability” and we’re mediocre to terrible for another 3-5 years.

My theory is that the Tucker departure broke him. He’s a worse Athletic Director as a result. If he proves me wrong and hires a home run like Tom Herman, I will be pleasantly shocked.

What I expect is that he hires another meh coach because of “stability” and we’re mediocre to terrible for another 3-5 years.
Mediocre doesn’t sound half bad about now. But it feels like you and Yak need to place another wager here on what kind of hire RG will make. Surely there are some official odds out there.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the candidates mentioned here and whether, in your opinion, they’d be considered home runs, good hires, meh hires, bad hires.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the candidates mentioned here and whether, in your opinion, they’d be considered home runs, good hires, meh hires, bad hires.
I’ve stated my preferences and criteria. For me, the next coach must be an ace recruiter, especially in Texas. This is why I have a strong preference for Tom Herman and Jeff Grimes.

we are all suffering from stockholm syndrome at this point. our captors seem like they aren't that bad and that they really want the best for us and the world.

totally.

none of this means, however, that rg will or will not **** up this hire. and the relevant data is mixed.

If campus leadership can finally realize that it has been a significant contributing factor in the demise of the program, perhaps they can be part of the solution.

Back