What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

Have any of you met or spent time with him? He is a weird dude. It amazes me he has had success beyond BYU. I’m a boomer, and I’m way out of the demographic that will carry CU forward, but Bronco is weird and I would be worried if he were proclaimed the next steward of CU football.
Weird in what way?

Have any of you met or spent time with him? He is a weird dude. It amazes me he has had success beyond BYU. I’m a boomer, and I’m way out of the demographic that will carry CU forward, but Bronco is weird and I would be worried if he were proclaimed the next steward of CU football.
Weird's a great thing when it works.

Pete Carroll is weird. McCartney was weird. Jim Harbaugh is weird. PJ Fleck is weird. Bill Parcells was weird. Rex Ryan was weird. Dabo Swinney is weird.

Also a list of weird which didn't work. The weirdness has to be the right fit.

I am probably in the minority, but I don't see Bronco getting it done in Boulder.

It depends on what your definition of getting it done is. Consistent bowl games? Very possible with BM in charge. Pac 12 championships? Hard to see.
To me, the low water mark is .500. That is so pathetically low, but represents a quantum leap from the crap CU fans have watched over the last 20 years under the mismanagement of the CU admin. Getting it done is consistently winning 7-8 games a year, and actually having hope a breakout year might happen now and again.

There is simply no reason for CU, with the resources available, to be the losingest program in the P12.

I’d think if Mendenhall were the guy we’d know by now. He’s a free agent. I’d think if he were getting back into the game he’d want to get going right away.

OTOH, I can also see not announcing until the season is done out of respect for the current staff and because assistants won’t be freeing up until after the season.

In other words, I don’t know jack.

Mendenhall could be the current leader while they continue through the interview process. From what I gather, that’s probably not the case, but it’s possible. The only risk in not naming him now is that he accepts another job. As he hasn’t been linked to many other jobs (that I know of), that’s probably a risk RG is willing to take.

Mendenhall could be the current leader while they continue through the interview process. From what I gather, that’s probably not the case, but it’s possible. The only risk in not naming him now is that he accepts another job. As he hasn’t been linked to many other jobs (that I know of), that’s probably a risk RG is willing to take.
The only other jobs I've heard him linked to are ASU (lukewarm at best) and BYU (if Kalani Sitake bolted - HC must be LDS, so Grimes not a candidate).

Pete Carroll is weird. McCartney was weird. Jim Harbaugh is weird. PJ Fleck is weird. Bill Parcells was weird. Rex Ryan was weird. Dabo Swinney is weird.

Mike Leach

how would the board feel if we poached leach?
You again?

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

There are different types of weird. Socially awkward is not a label I would put on the rest of your list.

Is there anything at all in the wind that says that Grimes really really wants the CU job? I am really growing to like him, and if he has a good plan for his DC (edited), then he is the right guy that could work his ass off to bring us to bowl game relevance

Last edited:
There are different types of weird. Socially awkward is not a label I would put on the rest of your list.
The resume speaks for itself-He's the 8th winningest coach in the sport. He's been in bowl games 15/17 seasons he's been a head coach. He had Virginia (which, if we're honest is what Dr. Phil incorrectly believes we are academically) in bowls all but his first season.

Is there anything at all in the wind that says that Grimes really really wants the CU job? I am really growing to like him, and if he has a good plan for his OC, then he is the right guy that could work his ass off to bring us to bowl game relevance
His DC? He'd call the plays I would have to think here.

For clarity,

I’d take Kalani or Morgan Scalley (baggage and all) before Bronco. I’m not anti Utah as a bed for coaching prospects. Just anti Bronco. When I first came to this site it was to voice my disdain for Anderson. He went on to do some good at Wisconsin before quitting and never recovering. So, my thoughts are not infallible.

Last edited:
For clarity,

I’d take Kalani or Morgan Scalley (baggage and all) before Bronco. I’m not anti Utah as a bed for coaching prospects. Just anti Bronco. When I first came to this site it was to voice my disdain for Anderson. He went on to do some good at Wisconsin before quoting and never recovering. So, my thoughts are not infallible.
Why are you anti-Bronco?

Back