What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

You definitely do not want to drag the hire into December (unless you need to wait on your chosen candidate), but it is a little silly to suggest all hell will break loose if the hire is not made ASAP.
The 2023 recruiting class is a throw away either way, so I agree let's not lose our minds if the decision isn't made the minute the season ends.

The AD should already have all of that in place. It is not a rush to do one's job, have contingency plans in place (it's not like Dorrell's firing came out of thin air, this was a painful build). RG should have already resolved the budget, spoken with the board and have his ducks in a row. I agree not to rush, but to not be ready is negligence and throws away the 2023 season. Let' s face it, the roster is trash, having a new coach, already hamstrung with the limitations of transfers and portal adds by the CU administration, the new coach will lose 50-10 every game next year if the players are of the same caliber. However, if the AD is proactive and hires early, the new coach can sell talent based on the coaches knowledge and history vs recruits watching the team go 0-12 next year as the tailspin continues. Nick Saban couldn't get this roster to a bowl game next season. The new coach should be hired quickly to provide time to recruit this year, not next year. There will be transfers out, along with graduation - and the younger players are not at the P5 level. Maybe McCown, the rest would struggle to start for a Mountain West school. Why not give the new coach every advantage possible by hiring methodically and quickly (different than rushing a decision) and improve the quality of players on the roster from jump....
1. You do realize that "methodically" is essentially the opposite of "quickly", right? You are lobbying for a rushed hire for the potential short term gain of holding a below average recruiting class together and hoping to add better recruits by the early signing day. If the hire is someone like Tom Herman, Matt Rhule or Chris Petersen, then I agree that they should make the hire sooner rather than later. Since neither of those are likely...
2. The 2023 recruiting class is not going to have an effect on the 2023 season one way or the other
3. I'd get used to the idea of the 2023 season being a throwaway season in terms of the W/L column regardless of when the hire is made

Are we not counting Grimes as a former Buff guy?
I guess I don't really view a coach as a "former Buff guy" who coached here as an assistant for a couple years over a decade ago. These coaches are very well traveled and I don't view it as a positive or negative if the above is a coach you are looking at to lead your program.

The AD should already have all of that in place. It is not a rush to do one's job, have contingency plans in place (it's not like Dorrell's firing came out of thin air, this was a painful build). RG should have already resolved the budget, spoken with the board and have his ducks in a row. I agree not to rush, but to not be ready is negligence and throws away the 2023 season. Let' s face it, the roster is trash, having a new coach, already hamstrung with the limitations of transfers and portal adds by the CU administration, the new coach will lose 50-10 every game next year if the players are of the same caliber. However, if the AD is proactive and hires early, the new coach can sell talent based on the coaches knowledge and history vs recruits watching the team go 0-12 next year as the tailspin continues. Nick Saban couldn't get this roster to a bowl game next season. The new coach should be hired quickly to provide time to recruit this year, not next year. There will be transfers out, along with graduation - and the younger players are not at the P5 level. Maybe McCown, the rest would struggle to start for a Mountain West school. Why not give the new coach every advantage possible by hiring methodically and quickly (different than rushing a decision) and improve the quality of players on the roster from jump....
I don't see RG as a high energy guy, but he will do the best he can with the restraints he's under. There is no quick fix.

1. You do realize that "methodically" is essentially the opposite of "quickly", right? You are lobbying for a rushed hire for the potential short term gain of holding a below average recruiting class together and hoping to add better recruits by the early signing day. If the hire is someone like Tom Herman, Matt Rhule or Chris Petersen, then I agree that they should make the hire sooner rather than later. Since neither of those are likely...
2. The 2023 recruiting class is not going to have an effect on the 2023 season one way or the other
3. I'd get used to the idea of the 2023 season being a throwaway season in terms of the W/L column regardless of when the hire is made
If we win 3-4 games next year, I'd say that's a success.

If we win 3-4 games next year, I'd say that's a success.
A mid or late-November hire, add some quality transfers (hopefully this is a possibility) and recruits before the second signing day, add a few more transfers after Spring Ball, and then yes, hopefully win 3-4 games in 2023. CSU looks like the only game they'll be favored in, but you never know what happens with ASU and Arizona

1) This bears repeating: with a strong recruiter and staff of recruiters, your fortunes in college football can change quickly. The portal gives guys who haven’t seen the field the chance to get playing time. If it’s true that PDS is on his way out, I think CU’s fortunes can change quickly.

2) The definition of making CU right again is very different than most other schools. If you can win 2-3 games in year one, 5-6 in year two, and 6-8 going forward, you will have a job at Colorado for a long time and very likely get a rich extension. You can also parlay that transition into another job — especially if you start hitting big targets ahead of ahead of schedule.

3) Most career assistants do not get even one shot to be the main man. Yes, Colorado is really bad. But, Colorado can win if the President gets the Chancellor and AD to commit themselves to winning. These are guys who want a shot to prove their worth as the main man.
#2 is the big point.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here- does no one remember Mel Tucker? Where was he a realistic candidate during the 2019 offseason? He took the CU job at like $2.5M per year, parlayed one 5-7 season at CU to a huge payday at MSU and one good season there to generational wealth.

If your teams show a pulse at Colorado, you'll be in line for a huge extension or big payday elsewhere.

1. You do realize that "methodically" is essentially the opposite of "quickly", right? You are lobbying for a rushed hire for the potential short term gain of holding a below average recruiting class together and hoping to add better recruits by the early signing day. If the hire is someone like Tom Herman, Matt Rhule or Chris Petersen, then I agree that they should make the hire
Methodically should have already been planned before the season. A responsible AD should be prepared and identify candidates if the wheels fall off. Not be in reaction mode.
I don't understand the pushbsxk of an idea to not wait 2 months to hire. I'm assuming RG met with the Administration to discuss firing Dorrell and laid out a financial plan. I would also assume RG already has a short list of preferred candidates. Those, organizationally, should be a part of a contingency plan. To not have that level of forward thinking is derelict in his duties as an AD. Which takes us back to where this conversation started. If RG is remotely doing his job and planned effectively, choosing a coach from the short list prior to the season ending and allowing that coach to get a jump on recruited is a flawed approach how?
Now, if RG is spinning because he didn't plan, thought Dorrell was the next John Wooden of coaching and the inept quality on the field was a surprise, meaning he isn't prepared to make coaching decisions, then yeah... take your time.

A mid or late-November hire, add some quality transfers (hopefully this is a possibility) and recruits before the second signing day, add a few more transfers after Spring Ball, and then yes, hopefully win 3-4 games in 2023. CSU looks like the only game they'll be favored in, but you never know what happens with ASU and Arizona
Don't we draw Stanford next year instead of Cal?

Methodically should have already been planned before the season. A responsible AD should be prepared and identify candidates if the wheels fall off. Not be in reaction mode.
I don't understand the pushbsxk of an idea to not wait 2 months to hire. I'm assuming RG met with the Administration to discuss firing Dorrell and laid out a financial plan. I would also assume RG already has a short list of preferred candidates. Those, organizationally, should be a part of a contingency plan. To not have that level of forward thinking is derelict in his duties as an AD. Which takes us back to where this conversation started. If RG is remotely doing his job and planned effectively, choosing a coach from the short list prior to the season ending and allowing that coach to get a jump on recruited is a flawed approach how?
Now, if RG is spinning because he didn't plan, thought Dorrell was the next John Wooden of coaching and the inept quality on the field was a surprise, meaning he isn't prepared to make coaching decisions, then yeah... take your time.
You are fantasizing about how you would manage the situation in a video game vs what happens in reality. Nobody that fired a HC is hiring a new one within the next couple weeks, again, with the caveat of it being a home run candidate that's currently unemployed (Herman, Petersen, Rhule, Urban, Stoops, etc)

Some, if not most, coaches won’t move mid-season if they are currently employed. Skip the bowl game? Sure. Bail in the middle of the season? It just doesn’t happen for good reason. You don’t want to eliminate this huge pool of candidates like Grimes, or Choate, or dozens of others.

Of course, if your hire is a presently unemployed coach, leaving a current team in the lurch isn’t an issue. So let’s say you hire Mendenhall tomorrow. It sets up for a very weird dynamic in the team. Is he supposed to jump in and coach? If not, is he meeting with the current assistants and discussing their future? A couple of weeks before the last game, probably fine. Seven games to go. Awkward.

We just need to make a good hire. As I often say to my staff, “Fast is good. Right is better.”

Last edited:
You are fantasizing about how you would manage the situation in a video game vs what happens in reality. Nobody that fired a HC is hiring a new one within the next couple weeks, again, with the caveat of it being a home run candidate that's currently unemployed (Herman, Petersen, Rhule, Urban, Stoops, etc)
That is the hope, that the hire is one of those (Herman, Rhule) coaches that are available.

RG has been sloth level slow in previous coaching decisions, I would be beyond disappointed if he doesn't pull the trigger on offering Herman or Rhule, only to see them sign somewhere else and we are left with a 3rd option coach. I can see that happening very easily, why not be proactive.

The 2023 recruiting class is a throw away either way, so I agree let's not lose our minds if the decision isn't made the minute the season ends.
The next CU coach should focus on the transfer portal to rebuild his roster. Poach some kids from where he is currently and bring some recruits he is working with now to get a jump start. Look at Western Kentucky a couple years ago, they poached Bailey Zappe and Houston Baptist's best WR when they hired the Houston Baptist OC who is now at Texas Tech I think. For this reason, a current coordinator like Grimes might make a ton of sense instead of someone currently out of coaching.

With the right person, and IF the new President commits to win, there is no reason CU can not copy what Kansas has done this season. Just think about how bad Kansas was a couple of years ago.

The reason that SJSU is pretty good this year is because they were lucky to snag the Hawaii transfer QB Chevan Cordeiro, who has played lights out. Credit the coach for that transfer, but I think CU needs to shoot higher than BB.
Glad we don’t allow transfers here…. It might adversely effect our academic standing…. Thanks Phil!

The next CU coach should focus on the transfer portal to rebuild his roster. Poach some kids from where he is currently and bring some recruits he is working with now to get a jump start. Look at Western Kentucky a couple years ago, they poached Bailey Zappe and Houston Baptist's best WR when they hired the Houston Baptist OC who is now at Texas Tech I think. For this reason, a current coordinator like Grimes might make a ton of sense instead of someone currently out of coaching.
We could raid the Incarnate Word roster....

That is the hope, that the hire is one of those (Herman, Rhule) coaches that are available.

RG has been sloth level slow in previous coaching decisions, I would be beyond disappointed if he doesn't pull the trigger on offering Herman or Rhule, only to see them sign somewhere else and we are left with a 3rd option coach. I can see that happening very easily, why not be proactive.
Ruhle was just fired today. Curious why we would want someone who has just been fired as compared to someone who’s had success at the college level now or recently. What am I missing on Ruhle?

Ruhle was just fired today. Curious why we would want someone who has just been fired as compared to someone who’s had success at the college level now or recently. What am I missing on Ruhle?
What's your definition of success recently? I would say Ruhle has been very successful recently. Did you think Saban was a bad hire for Alabama since he was a disaster in the NFL?

Rhule went 2-10 first year at Temple- His last year was 2016 10-3, ranked 24. 2019 went 11-3 and ranked 13 in AP at **** Bailer.

Ruhle is a guy that knows the college game, how to recruit, and turn programs around

Not naming a coach until the end of the season will ensure another lack luster recruiting class. Why would any recruit come to CU, literally the worst ranked team in the country, and not knowing who the coach and staff will be. The Buffs will probably lose some of their top committed players (other schools are already pouncing) and any player who commits right now is probably desperate to play at the P5 level. Inking a coach now gives that coach time to assemble a staff and probably most important, gives him time to get commitments form players he wants and increase the talent pool in year one.
If you're suggesting that they need to hire a coach to keep this class together, that's absolute lunacy. It's the 48th ranked class in the country (an artificially high ranking due to the number of recruits in the class) and by average composite rating there are only 7 P5 classes that are lower.

Any new coach worth his salt will be able to find more 3* players. There's not a single 4* recruit to be poached.

Rhule went 2-10 first year at Temple- His last year was 2016 10-3, ranked 24. 2019 went 11-3 and ranked 13 in AP at **** Bailer.

Ruhle is a guy that knows the college game, how to recruit, and turn programs around
This. GoBuffs08 explains where my snark fell short....

Pretty much everything.

i never said he wouldn’t be a great hire. Definitely someone to consider. And yes, the NFL is totally different. but I’d be more excited about someone on an upward trajectory right now given our recent situation with firing our own coach.

thanks- That’s a pretty impressive turnaround. Point taken!

i never said he wouldn’t be a great hire. Definitely someone to consider. And yes, the NFL is totally different. but I’d be more excited about someone on an upward trajectory right now given our recent situation with firing our own coach.
I didn't mean to be overly snarky. GoBuffs covered it. Rhule has done two pretty good jobs at both of his CFB HC gigs. I kind of doubt he would consider CU. He will have other options.

If you're suggesting that they need to hire a coach to keep this class together, that's absolute lunacy. It's the 48th ranked class in the country (an artificially high ranking due to the number of recruits in the class) and by average composite rating there are only 7 P5 classes that are lower.

Any new coach worth his salt will be able to find more 3* players. There's not a single 4* recruit to be poached.
Lunacy would be reading what I wrote, then deciphering that into me saying I would prefer a coach be hired to keep this class together.

Back