What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

I think it would speak more to Prime's recruiting ability than anything else.

The very first test of a new coach is how well they recruit their assistants.

Are they willing to recruit over some of their current ones?

If they are willing, how high do they aim/achieve?

Landing him as DC would be a huge indication of the assistant salary pool, the commitment the school has made to fixing transfer/admission issues, and Prime's recruiting ability.

All that being said, it also would not be a negative if he didn't come, and would really be expected for him to stay put and wait for a HC offer this or next cycle.
Might be able to “lure” Walters here with a HC in waiting type agreement (and $). Sounds fatalistic, but if we get PRIME, and he does what I think he’d do, and FSU continues to underperform, in 2025 they come calling.

Obviously that’s step 1735, and we’re still on step 3, but that’s a scenario I could see

What does this mean???

He should know better, being a former candidate for regent and a lawyer. They can't approve a contract in an executive session (not open to the public), and a contract has to be signed before it can be approved. Likely they are meeting to discuss the terms of what was offered and where the AD is with the process so that they can quickly approve things after everything is signed. Also could be discussing conditions that must be met if any.

He should know better, being a former candidate for regent and a lawyer. They can't approve a contract in an executive session (not open to the public), and a contract has to be signed before it can be approved. Likely they are meeting to discuss the terms of what was offered and where the AD is with the process so that they can quickly approve things after everything is signed. Also could be discussing conditions that must be met if any.
Coach will be in place before 12/7

Might be able to “lure” Walters here with a HC in waiting type agreement (and $). Sounds fatalistic, but if we get PRIME, and he does what I think he’d do, and FSU continues to underperform, in 2025 they come calling.

Obviously that’s step 1735, and we’re still on step 3, but that’s a scenario I could see
FSU is not underperforming. 9-3, only losses to Wake, Clemson, and NC St. Beat Miami and UF. Norvell is building that program back up. I expect them to be competing with Clemson for the ACC next year.

Head coach in waiting is a stupid concept that is doomed to fail.

The one time it kinda sorta worked is just the exception that proves the rule.

No, if Prime were to land him, it would be his first recruiting coup: because he convinced him that taking this job is not just an increase in salary, but a valuable stepping stone in his career.

It's not going to happen, but that's the sales pitch. HCIW is stupid.

People keep saying Prime doesn't like the cold. Well Cincy's weather is definitely colder than Boulder right? Brian Hartline would be an interesting Fickell replacement. He's a lights-out recruiter as a WR Coach for tOSU.

over Texas @ Alabama?
Hmm didn’t know that was same week. Idk Boulder would be great choice for them. There’s actually historical significance. The country will want to see Prime and Rhule for the first time. And they haven’t been to Boulder in forever.
if not gameday then maybe the fox morning crew

The one time it kinda sorta worked is just the exception that proves the rule.

No, if Prime were to land him, it would be his first recruiting coup: because he convinced him that taking this job is not just an increase in salary, but a valuable stepping stone in his career.

It's not going to happen, but that's the sales pitch. HCIW is stupid.
I actually disagree. Illinois DC to CU DC is a lateral move at absolutely best, definitely not a stepping stone. If the Asst Coach Salary pool speculation is true, I think the selling point is, We'll give you $1.5m to come back to your alma mater and help turn this program around, where you can continue building your resume to one day be a P5 HC. I don't think "HCIW" is ever suggested, but could very well be implied, and I don't think that's truly out of the realm of possibility.

the exception I'd put on that is when a long standing successful coach is retiring on his own terms (e.g. Fisher at FSU -- there's probably better examples but that one came to mind first)

FSU is not underperforming. 9-3, only losses to Wake, Clemson, and NC St. Beat Miami and UF. Norvell is building that program back up. I expect them to be competing with Clemson for the ACC next year.
You maybe right from our perspective as CU fans, but the FSU people I work with carry a different level of expectation. They won a NC within the past decade and expect to be in the CFP every other year at a minimum.

Similar mentality to the Corn fans after their 93-97 run. To a man they still believe firing Pelini and Solich was the “right move.” They’d “capped out.” I think that attitude still permeates their fan base as a whole. I’m going to ask one of the FSU fans today and get back to you. Just to see what he says.

It depends on the network that has both games. If ABC has CU/NU, than I do think Game Day would come to Boulder as it's never been to Boulder. If it's on FOX, I could see it being the site of Big Noon Kickoff with Klatt on the coverage.
yeah, I think you're onto something. I was trying to tease out information regarding how often ESPN Gameday goes to the campus of an ABC/ESPN game instead of the obvious "big game of the week" but I didn't get far.

The biggest threat to Coach Prime coming to CU is Georgia Tech at this point. Fritz hasn't signed yet and it seems GT put the brakes on that hire real quick. Sanders has the DNA to tackle even the most difficult of challenges. GT and CU both definitely fit that bill. But GT has regional familiarity to him and he'd get them competitive faster than he would CU, IMO.
Weird you say that. I was told specifically in an earlier post, in which I mentioned the same thing as you, that there was NO WAY Sanders would go to Tech. By transitive properties - you’re way wrong.

You maybe right from our perspective as CU fans, but the FSU people I work with carry a different level of expectation. They won a NC within the past decade and expect to be in the CFP every other year at a minimum.

Similar mentality to the Corn fans after their 93-97 run. To a man they still believe firing Pelini and Solich was the “right move.” They’d “capped out.” I think that attitude still permeates their fan base as a whole. I’m going to ask one of the FSU fans today and get back to you. Just to see what he says.
My dad is an alum, I was raised a FSU fan lol.

Jimbo did a lot of damage. Taggert was an abject failure. Norvell has had to dig them out of a pretty huge hole, and he is making very good progress.

Eric Bieniemy says hello!
Was EB a finalist for the HC job though? I don’t recall having as much info on who interviewed etc as we do now but it’s been a while.

Either way, that worked out pretty terribly for all involved, so my point stands.

My dad is an alum, I was raised a FSU fan lol.

Jimbo did a lot of damage. Taggert was an abject failure. Norvell has had to dig them out of a pretty huge hole, and he is making very good progress.
Yeah, he said the same thing. Taggert hurt them bad. Most of the frustration has been they’re losing most of the 5* recruits to Bama, Georgia, Florida, etc, and have been over reliant on the Transfer Portal to solve problems. They feel, especially since it’s home grown talent, they need to be Top 5 year in and year out in recruiting classes.

Most of the fans have been reasonable with the current CFP, but once it goes to 12, they need to be in the hunt 4 out of every 5 years. He’s giving Norvell about two years, they’re worried about a Mark Richt at Georgia situation developing; perpetually 10-2 - 9-3 and just can’t quite get over the hump. ACC is weak right now, it’s there for the taking.

these are rich man problems obviously, but that’s what he feels and what he’s seeing on the boards.

It depends on the network that has both games. If ABC has CU/NU, than I do think Game Day would come to Boulder as it's never been to Boulder. If it's on FOX, I could see it being the site of Big Noon Kickoff with Klatt on the coverage.
Game Day has been to Boulder, just probably not in your lifetime! 2 times in 1995 and once in 1996. I think I slept through them both, too early to get up, but Fowler did attend and speak at a pep rally event the night before on the 1st visit in '95.

I think it would speak more to Prime's recruiting ability than anything else.

The very first test of a new coach is how well they recruit their assistants.

Are they willing to recruit over some of their current ones?

If they are willing, how high do they aim/achieve?

Landing him as DC would be a huge indication of the assistant salary pool, the commitment the school has made to fixing transfer/admission issues, and Prime's recruiting ability.

All that being said, it also would not be a negative if he didn't come, and would really be expected for him to stay put and wait for a HC offer this or next cycle.
Look at it another way - you’re Prime and you have a generous budget to fill out a staff, talented as he is, are you really calling the guy who wanted your job and is probably disappointed not to be the HC? There are too many talented defensive coaches out there (including JSU’s current DC) to make that awkward marriage.

I know it’s a lot of Buff fans wet dream to have Prime as HC and Walters as DC but I don’t think it makes sense for either side. So not only do I think it won’t happen, I’d argue it shouldn’t happen.

Back