What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

CU is absolutely a bad job. It wasn't a bad job when they hired RN, or Barnett, or even Hawkins. But it is a bad job now, and it was a bad job for most of the years after the Hawkins era. MM revived the job a bit from being a total teardown, and CU was able to hire Tucker as a result. Tucker then left them in the lurch, and it has become a bad job once again.

Deion can revive the program and make the CU head coaching job desirable again, but as of right now the CU job is one of the absolute worst power 5 jobs that exist.
You set out great reasons why people should agree that CU is a bad job. Oh, that's right, you provided no basis at all.
DS to reveal by Saturday:

I so hate the Butch Jones feel of this.
Seconded. Everyone on a national level who’s talking about this is saying it’s the wrong fit, he can do better, etc. If I weren’t an alum I’d be feeling/saying the exact same things.

If he takes the job he’ll be going against the advice of pretty much everyone in the media and probably a lot of people in his personal orbit (though I’m sure not all of them). I’m just hoping CU is presenting that they’re the school that’s the most bought in, and where he can have the biggest impact, control, and payday. That may not be enough, but even if we get burned I’m glad we took a good run at him.

You set out great reasons why people should agree that CU is a bad job. Oh, that's right, you provided no basis at all.
DS to reveal by Saturday:

I think it’s important to just say it like it is: The job is really bad because of CU and the way they’ve handled the football program, in my opinion. We’ve all been aware of problems for a long time. You’ve got a beautiful campus in an awesome setting with tradition and all. Instead of seeing that as something to celebrate and use to benefit the university, they just ignored or followed policies that set us up to be in this dismal place we’re in now.

I’m so glad we have a new president who is supportive and a fan of CU football. He’s bringing some new hope and excitement. He seems to have a much larger and positive view of what the football program can be and how it can affect the university as a whole.

DS won’t be afraid to come here and in fact, he may really be excited to take us from worst to first in college football. The guy isn’t afraid of a challenge that big. He’s the guy who could do it, so I don’t care if people’s say it’s the worst job out there. It may be a selling point to Deion Sanders.

go buffs!!!

Seconded. Everyone on a national level who’s talking about this is saying it’s the wrong fit, he can do better, etc. If I weren’t an alum I’d be feeling/saying the exact same things.

If he takes the job he’ll be going against the advice of pretty much everyone in the media and probably a lot of people in his personal orbit (though I’m sure not all of them). I’m just hoping CU is presenting that they’re the school that’s the most bought in, and where he can have the biggest impact, control, and payday. That may not be enough, but even if we get burned I’m glad we took a good run at him.
Why are you ignoring the people in the media who have propped it up? That represents the majority of the opinion from what I've seen.

It's remarkable how many people on the Internet know what he's thinking, what he wants and doesn't want, what kind of weather he can handle (that's a big one out there... And if he cares I hope someone is showing him that 300 days of sunshine thing). He's coming from a different place than a lot of people, has unique motivations and goals (maybe, I don't know him either). So I hope he ignores them just the same, and we sweat out the week and find out Sunday...

I'm also wondering how many of these same folks were saying it was a bad idea for him to go to JSU.

On monday hes gonna be on ESPN at noon with 3 hats on the table ….

And then we’ll know when he puts one on.
University Of Colorado College GIF by CUBoulder

I'm also wondering how many of these same folks were saying it was a bad idea for him to go to JSU.
Everybody has an angle. There are only a handful of people who truly know what kind of job CU is starting in 2023 and Prime is definitely one of them right now. If he felt he wasn't going to be a fit or he wouldn't have the support or resources to succeed, CU would already have a different HC by now.

For CU, if it were me, and assuming he survived the interview deep dive, he'd be my guy right after Deion said no.
Is he the safest hire? No.

Age, Buff Heritage, and potential ceiling all do it for me. Youth is a detriment and benefit in his case.
Highest potential ceiling, but he'd have a lot of tough questions asked before he got the job.

Legend is that Bienemy used to babysit for Ryan when he was a toddler, so it's pre-ordained.
If there is a Christian God, he has given us Ryan Walters to restore the program.
I’m not saying that Ryan isn’t the guy, and he has such strong CU roots. But, this is the same thought process the bugeating corn-****ers had with frost. While I myself loved every minute of his tenure at nebraska, the fans were blinded by his ties. We can’t allow that here. He is still a little too green. Bring him is as the D. Coordinator... absolutely. Would love that. Head coach; that’s going to be a no from me dawg.

I’m not saying that Ryan isn’t the guy, and he has such strong CU roots. But, this is the same thought process the bugeating corn-****ers had with frost. While I myself loved every minute of his tenure at nebraska, the fans were blinded by his ties. We can’t allow that here. He is still a little too green. Bring him is as the D. Coordinator... absolutely. Would love that. Head coach; that’s going to be a no from me dawg.
I think most people (around here at least) believe his affiliation with the University as a former Buff is actually a negative. I'm just curious what more he needs to do as an assistant to be viewed as ready? He's been coaching for 13 years and has spent 11 of those years at the P5 level, including the last 5 years as a coordinator in either the SEC or B1G, and has most recently created the best defense in the country with bottom half P5 talent.

I agree there are questions around his recruiting track record, but we wouldn't be hiring him to be the boots on the ground recruiter.

The biggest question mark is his ability to assemble a quality staff. Legitimate concern, but from all accounts he really impressed the search committee with the staff options he put together, and if you're telling me he has an assistant salary pool for $7m+ to work with, I think that helps alleviate some concern there.

I think most people (around here at least) believe his affiliation with the University as a former Buff is actually a negative.
I think this is a mischaracterization.

Most people around here believe that whether or not a candidate is a former Buff should not be a meaningful criteria to choose a coach, and that anyone who suggests it's an important criteria has a poorly developed cerebrum.

It's a criteria that can be used to "break a tie" if all of the other criteria are literally even, but it cannot, and should never be elevated above that.

There's also a group that wants to cheer for his continued success, and believe that he would achieve greater success by not coming here at this point in time.

There is overlap in the venn diagram of those two groups, but I don't think anyone thinks that his status as an alumni is "negative," but rather that his status as alumni should not be a consideration at all.

Last edited:
I think most people (around here at least) believe his affiliation with the University as a former Buff is actually a negative. I'm just curious what more he needs to do as an assistant to be viewed as ready? He's been coaching for 13 years and has spent 11 of those years at the P5 level, including the last 5 years as a coordinator in either the SEC or B1G, and has most recently created the best defense in the country with bottom half P5 talent.

I agree there are questions around his recruiting track record, but we wouldn't be hiring him to be the boots on the ground recruiter.

The biggest question mark is his ability to assemble a quality staff. Legitimate concern, but from all accounts he really impressed the search committee with the staff options he put together, and if you're telling me he has an assistant salary pool for $7m+ to work with, I think that helps alleviate some concern there.
What does he need to do? Honestly, coach offense. People love a young coordinator with a creative offense - we want our own Lincoln Riley. You just don’t see people getting juiced for a hot young defensive coordinator.

Who is the last hot, young DC to rise up quickly to become a HC in his 30’s? I’m sure it’s happened, but who has been the defensive version of Lincoln Riley/Ryan Day? Kirby was only 41 when he got the Georgia job but he had to spend 8 years as DC at Bama before he got a shot. Mel Tucker was a DC for 11 years before getting the CU job. Dan Lanning may be the best recent example but it’s rare.

It's remarkable how many people on the Internet know what he's thinking, what he wants and doesn't want, what kind of weather he can handle (that's a big one out there... And if he cares I hope someone is showing him that 300 days of sunshine thing). He's coming from a different place than a lot of people, has unique motivations and goals (maybe, I don't know him either). So I hope he ignores them just the same, and we sweat out the week and find out Sunday...
Similar to weather, but one of my concerns for a potential hiccup was whether altitude would be a medical factor for that circulation issue which caused his foot surgery & toe amputation this year. Doesn't seem like this is a factor since he hasn't mentioned any ongoing health management concerns.

What does he need to do? Honestly, coach offense. People love a young coordinator with a creative offense - we want our own Lincoln Riley. You just don’t see people getting juiced for a hot young defensive coordinator.

Who is the last hot, young DC to rise up quickly to become a HC in his 30’s? I’m sure it’s happened, but who has been the defensive version of Lincoln Riley/Ryan Day? Kirby was only 41 when he got the Georgia job but he had to spend 8 years as DC at Bama before he got a shot. Mel Tucker was a DC for 11 years before getting the CU job. Dan Lanning may be the best recent example but it’s rare.
But those guys went to blue blood type programs. Kirby likely could have been a HC sooner had he wanted. I would also add Aranda and Wilcox to that off the top of my head. Good coaches are good coaches.

Regardless, none of this answers my question about him being “too green”.

But those guys went to blue blood type programs. Kirby likely could have been a HC sooner had he wanted. I would also add Aranda and Wilcox to that off the top of my head. Good coaches are good coaches.

Regardless, none of this answers my question about him being “too green”.
You’ve kind of illustrated my point, Wilcox was a DC for 11 years before he got the Cal job and Aranda was a DC for 15 years before getting the Baylor job. So by that standard (and it’s probably an unfair standard) Walters is still really green.

Meanwhile 30 year old Joe Brady became the talk of football after a single (amazing) season as a passing game coordinator.

Last edited:

The national perspective is to look at CU’s performance over the last 20 years. Yep, bad job.

But what they do not know anything about are the apparent changes CU is making to become an elite program. In our search, perspective coaches are learning of CU’s vision and CU’s action plan to achieve that vision. They aren’t listening to the Paul Finebaum’s of the world.

Don’t compare Scott Frost and Ryan Walters.

I’m pretty much at peace with all of this regardless of what Deion does. To me the most important thing is that CU APPARENTLY has had a change in philosophy and, APPARENTLY, an upswing in booster investment.

With those two things, I think CU will bring in a top tier coach. The one thing Deion brings is an instant recruiting upswing.

Back