What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official D coordinator search thread (DJ Eliot hired?)

Here's a write-up on DeRuyter as one of the names in the Ole Miss DC search:

Tim DeRuyter

Former head coach at Fresno State

DeRuyter’s time as a head coach in Fresno was inconsistent—he won two Mountain West titles but went a combined 30-30 overall. His track record as a defensive coordinator, however, is impressive. Before taking over Fresno State in 2012, he was the defensive coordinator at Ohio, Nevada, Air Force and Texas A&M, showing the ability to turn a defense around quickly at all of those stops.
When DeRuyter took over at Ohio in 2002, he jumped them from 99th in total defense to 22nd. He then moved to Nevada, where he orchestrated a jump from 78th in total defense to 48th in just two years. He then took Air Force from 78th to 10th in scoring defense and from 78th to 11th in total defense. In 2010, he jumped A&M from 104th in scoring defense to 21st in one year.

http://www.redcuprebellion.com/2016...dinator-charlie-strong-tom-allen-tim-deruyter

He went to St. John Bosco? I'm sold.

We don't need somebody to come in and turn around a poor defense. We need a guy to come in and make a good defense better.

There can be a lot that plays into that. Maybe the offensive system changed to more ball control. Talent changes a lot (and can mature a lot) from year to year. So, yeah, there are likely a lot of big jumps. But with DeRuyter we have 4 examples. Maybe he's the luckiest guy in coaching with the situations he has walked into, but I think there's enough there to rule out coincidental favorable circumstances as the reason for his success. Dude's a damn good college DC.
That's fair. Just reading that bio and felt like I was having flashbacks.

Here's what I'm thinking now.

Hire Don Pellum as our LB Coach. Not retained and was in that position along with being Recruiting Coordinator at Oregon.

MM looks like he's handling this the way I'd hoped. I don't want Tumpkin to be given this, but the Alamo Bowl makes the perfect working interview. If JT calls and schemes a good game on 12/29, the job should be his.

Here's a write-up on DeRuyter as one of the names in the Ole Miss DC search:

Tim DeRuyter

Former head coach at Fresno State

DeRuyter’s time as a head coach in Fresno was inconsistent—he won two Mountain West titles but went a combined 30-30 overall. His track record as a defensive coordinator, however, is impressive. Before taking over Fresno State in 2012, he was the defensive coordinator at Ohio, Nevada, Air Force and Texas A&M, showing the ability to turn a defense around quickly at all of those stops.
When DeRuyter took over at Ohio in 2002, he jumped them from 99th in total defense to 22nd. He then moved to Nevada, where he orchestrated a jump from 78th in total defense to 48th in just two years. He then took Air Force from 78th to 10th in scoring defense and from 78th to 11th in total defense. In 2010, he jumped A&M from 104th in scoring defense to 21st in one year.

http://www.redcuprebellion.com/2016...dinator-charlie-strong-tom-allen-tim-deruyter

That's an impressive resume as DC, looks a lot like the turnaround MM had at SJS.

Between some of these suggestions and so many people content with promoting Tumpkin without any real knowledge of what goes on behind closed doors day to day in their operations, I'm sure glad AllBuffs doesn't get a say in who they hire.
Sacrilege. You are attacking the very essence of why this board exists....speculation from morons who have no idea what they are talking about....

I don't want Tumpkin to be given this, but the Alamo Bowl makes the perfect working interview. If JT calls and schemes a good game on 12/29, the job should be his.

I guess I don't understand this working interview line of thinking. At this point in the season, you kind of are what you are. It is only one game. This is a bowl game, so there is all the extra preparation time. There is a season worth of film on the other team. If it's a half season worth of interim working interview, I can maybe buy that. Even then, if there is a better guy out there, you go with him.
This isn't a slight on Tumpkin personally. You hear a lot of good things about him, and he's had a hand in the miraculous turnaround of our defense, but you have to take the best man available to keep the progress going, regardless of whether he is internal or not. JHMO.

Sacrilege. You are attacking the very essence of why this board exists....speculation from morons who have no idea what they are talking about....

Haha The Rise truly has brought out the finest of AllBuffs.

@Duff Man brought up Kacy Rodgers earlier in this thread. There had been talk that Rodgers was the guy HCMM was going to hire 2 years ago but then he got the job as the DC for the Jets and it delayed our process at CU. If Todd Bowles is fired as the NYJ HC (distinct possibility), Rodgers will likely come available. So I decided to make a profile.

Rodgers_Kacy.jpg

Personal information
Date of birth:June 24, 1969 (age 47)
Place of birth:Humboldt, Tennessee
Career information
High school:Humboldt (TN)
College:Tennessee
Undrafted:1992
Career history
As player:
* Offseason and/or practice squad member only
As coach:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Note: Rodgers got his start under MacIntyre at Tennessee-Martin when HCMM was the DC and Rodgers was his DL Coach. They were also on Parcells' staff together for 3 seasons with the Cowboys with HCMM coaching DBs and Rodgers coaching DTs & then the entire DL.

Note: Rodgers got his start under MacIntyre at Tennessee-Martin when HCMM was the DC and Rodgers was his DL Coach. They were also on Parcells' staff together for 3 seasons with the Cowboys with HCMM coaching DBs and Rodgers coaching DTs & then the entire DL.

Hmmm. I noticed those connections as well. Only knock I can see is his limited experience as a DC.

Stats folks, can you make some sense out of what Nate Woody has done at Appalachian State? On paper the team looks very impressive and doesn't give up many points. I'd think we'd be hearing his name for some big program DC openings.

We still need a guy who can inspire and motivate. Most NFL guys aren't very big on that kind of thing.

I was extremely pleased with the results Leavitt brought to CU. Pot isn't just going to be a Colorado problem anymore, other states are selling out too.
That's a good start.

Maybe it is a good thing CA legalized pot - it might mellow you out some time down the road.

With the news that Jacksonville just fired their head coach, perhaps Dewayne Walker -- currently coaching DBs for the Jags -- is a guy who might be looking to return to the collegiate level.

Well, Gus Bradley just got fired as the Jags HC. Previously the DC who built the Ds at the Seahawks and at North Dakota State. Coached at Fort Lewis College, so some ties to the state of Colorado. Fiery guy who is a heck of a defensive coordinator.

Well, Gus Bradley just got fired as the Jags HC. Previously the DC who built the Ds at the Seahawks and at North Dakota State. Coached at Fort Lewis College, so some ties to the state of Colorado. Fiery guy who is a heck of a defensive coordinator.
He'll get an NFL DC job

Back