What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Thread -- Colorado at Stanford

You know, Im not quite there, but I'm getting there, quickly. YAZ is flat out out performing him.

Assists @ stan:
Yaz 5
jelly 3,
fletcher/fortune 2,
talton/gordon 1
dom 0.

Assists @ cal
fortune 2
yaz 4,
everyone else, 0

Maybe I am there darth.
What were Dom's minutes tonight? With his foul trouble, it seemed like we went with Yaz and Talton almost all night.

Stanford now has: @ OSU, @ Oregon, Cal, Arizona, ASU, @ CU, @ Utah, @ Cal coming up. Their season is about to spiral out of control.

19 points in the second half and we started the half on a 7-1 run. So only 12 more after that.

I still can't believe the no call on the most blatant offensive goal tend I've ever seen.

Tad beseeched the fans to show up loud and strong for our home games because home games will be extremely important this year.

Being on the right side of the score in a game like this is what it takes. Great job pulling it out Buffs, now welcome back home!!

We probably would have scored more points in the last 10 minutes if we only took half court shots. That was ugly.

I'm officially worried about Dom.

Like I said, Cal exposed us. The only difference between tonight and Friday, is Scott played tough in the paint against non Cal post players.
Back to the original point. Dom is not a playmaker. He again got into foul trouble and had to sit early. He is a terrible defender. He is not a general on the floor and he doesn't make anyone around him better. Ak or Yaz or whatever you guys call him is limited in what he can do, but he is playing better than Dom and he plays hard. This team will only go as far as our point guard play can take us. And we do not have very good point guard play.

We got a win tonight, that is all that matters. But we could have easily lost after being up by 15 at one point. I hope the light turns on for Dom because we need a true point guard.

I found it interesting that Tad went with XT at PG for the final 2 minutes (although he did insert Dom into the game the last two possessions - just in time for him to get beat back downcourt). Last year Tad stuck with Dom as growing pains. It looks like he is giving him some rope but has identified the problem and isn't taking many chances in crunch time with Dom.
For a team that had two really bad halves (1st half at Cal and 2nd half at the Tree), 1-1 in Pac-12 play is respectable. There is not a runaway team this year in the PAC12, CU may be able to make the tournament if they are able to grow quickly from their mistakes. I realize XJ will help out more next season, but it would be nice to have him right about now

Last edited:
a road win is great no matter how....but man can we hit some ft's? and be mentally tough down the stretch?

We again fall into one of those stretches when we simply forget how to play offense. The ball stops moving, Scott is handling it 30 feet from the hoop, our passes look like something from a 6th grade league with no snap. We end up either throwing up some off balance junk from 20+ feet or having a wing trying to force something to the hoop against a guy 6 inches taller who has position.

This has happened to us since Tad got here. With Burks or Spencer we could overcome it sometimes based on sheer talent but we don't have that right now. I think that the key to overcoming it is leadership on the floor from the PG and we aren't getting that from Dom or Yaz. I have hopes for Yaz, Dom at this point has some other issues to figure out first.

We did get a road win though, that one would have been easy to throw away in the last couple minutes (especially since we shot free throws like we were blindfolded) but they did manage to pull it out.

I also think that the game would not have been as close if Tory had been available. The Stanford bigs didn't look like they had the strength to deal with Tory down below and I think he would have been able to make a difference, especially in that bad stretch

If we get a split every road trip, we will be just fine.

Very strange game, but I take some solace in the fact they did the same thing to Utah two nights before but pushed it to overtime and won. Guard play was atrocious last night. Not sure what was going on with all of them. Games like that are where we really miss Spencer.

Road splits are gonna be tough to come by in conference play this season. UCLA and Utah didn't get one this week.

Like I said, Cal exposed us. The only difference between tonight and Friday, is Scott played tough in the paint against non Cal post players.
Back to the original point. Dom is not a playmaker. He again got into foul trouble and had to sit early. He is a terrible defender. He is not a general on the floor and he doesn't make anyone around him better. Ak or Yaz or whatever you guys call him is limited in what he can do, but he is playing better than Dom and he plays hard. This team will only go as far as our point guard play can take us. And we do not have very good point guard play.

We got a win tonight, that is all that matters. But we could have easily lost after being up by 15 at one point. I hope the light turns on for Dom because we need a true point guard.

Cal was the more talented team playing at home. Not sure exactly how that 'exposed' us. Probably every team in conference will have the same trouble in Berkely this year.

Cal was the more talented team playing at home. Not sure exactly how that 'exposed' us. Probably every team in conference will have the same trouble in Berkely this year.
Exposed us as SOFT. We don't have killer instinct. We don't have a floor leader that is a general who wills his teammates to victory. That was Spencer! Against "ok" competition we are good. But when we play top 25 teams, we hang and then fold. There is no grit, no player that does the dirty hard work. We are not a scrappy team imo and we need to be to play in the PAC 12.

Love how Josh ran the high post for most of the game, would love to see him pivot and square up and shoot the jumper.....he wouldn't even look at the basket and could've had wide open looks several time from about 15-17 feet out. I agree with the majority on here that say a win is a win, there will be other games where the team plays lights out and we lose....take em where you can get em.

If you watch CU hoops closely over the last 3-4 years, the late 2nd half scoring droughts are an undeniable trend. I have to believe there's some coaching involved there. Is Tad not making the necessary late-game adjustments? Is it a conditioning issue?

Agreed on moving on from Spencer ... that was 2 years ago, he'd be gone by now anyway. And fact is, during his CU career, the Pac12 was weaker, we had a few cakewalks 2-3 years ago that we just ain't gonna get this year (WSU, OSU, USC, etc.)

Dom has never really impressed me. I don't think its an issue of him "getting right" or the "light going on." I don't see the physical tools. He has that kind of lazy gliding motion when he penetrates, with very limited quickness, crossover or spin moves at all. And when he's guarding a small, quick PG ...ugh. I honestly like Yaz more. I see more playmaking potential in him, something we desperately lack. He may not be able to finish yet, but he's creating. And he's just a freshman.

Back