What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official "I'm off the bandwagon" thread

I think having CSU as the third game will help us too.

What is going to help us more with CSU is them losing a multi-year starter at QB and a couple of senior OL and DL players. Fairchild didn't recruit well his last few years so they will lose some quality although overall this years team is fairly young, not like us young but young.

What is going to help us more with CSU is them losing a multi-year starter at QB and a couple of senior OL and DL players. Fairchild didn't recruit well his last few years so they will lose some quality although overall this years team is fairly young, not like us young but young.
Good point. I wonder if Sparkles will leave at the end of the year...he won't be as good next year and maybe lose some stock as a big time HC?

Very unlikely. McElwain just signed a 5-year extension which requires a $7.5 million buyout. He may eventually leave, but it will be a few years: http://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...lyell-worry-csu-fans-mcelwains-stay/17254063/

If Florida, for example, was interested, that $7.5MM would be a drop in the bucket. There are some big time schools that will probably be looking for new coaches this year. Florida and Michigan are among them. Rumors that Bitch Jones might be the top choice at Michigan. Tennessee wouldn't even think twice about paying the $7.5MM. For schools like that, it's merely a cost of doing business. Plus, they'd probably get something back from Jones' buyout to offset the difference.

My point, and I do have one, is that the buyout clause that CSU has in place won't prevent anybody from hiring McElwain if that's the coach they want. All it does is give CSU some walking around cash to go find another coach.

If Florida, for example, was interested, that $7.5MM would be a drop in the bucket. There are some big time schools that will probably be looking for new coaches this year. Florida and Michigan are among them. Rumors that Bitch Jones might be the top choice at Michigan. Tennessee wouldn't even think twice about paying the $7.5MM. For schools like that, it's merely a cost of doing business. Plus, they'd probably get something back from Jones' buyout to offset the difference.

My point, and I do have one, is that the buyout clause that CSU has in place won't prevent anybody from hiring McElwain if that's the coach they want. All it does is give CSU some walking around cash to go find another coach.

True enough. There is always a risk if the one of the blue bloods comes calling, but that will always be true. I think the buyout does eliminate the risk of some of the middle or lower tier P5 programs from coming in to try and pry him away though.

True enough. There is always a risk if the one of the blue bloods comes calling. I think the buyout does eliminate the risk of some of the middle or lower tier P5 programs from coming in to try and pry him away though.

Wasn't there some sort of facility improvement clause in those buyout terms?

There is no provision in the contract related to the construction of a new stadium. Not sure about other facility improvements.

And that's assuming that the full $7.5 million sticks.

It isn't uncommon for contracts to contain certain promises such as facility improvements (an on campus stadium?) or other program support. Good lawyers get paid well to find reasons not to pay millions of dollars in breaking contracts.

At the same time CSU fans are more than happy with McElwains performance but that contract was written based on some assumtions of future revenue growth that at this point look to be on the rosy side. Attendance is moving up but not enough to justify the cost of the program with a coach making the kind of money he is. The P5 conference invitation isn't waiting in the in box and the MWC isn't rolling in media dollars.

If a "reasonable offer" came through that would let CSU get out from under that contract and put some money in their pocket it wouldn't be a surprise if an agreement was made that let them look like he was stolen away but in fact was let go.

I wouldn't classify Tennessee as a "Blue Blood". They have sunk almost as low as we have. Not quite, but in the same ballpark. The difference is that they are far more willing to spend stoopid money than we are. But make no mistake, ANY P5 team right now is raking in cash at a rate that was previously unheard of. It's insane money and teams like Kansas, Washington State, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers and Duke are getting their slice of the pie.

Both Florida and Michigan have hired MWC coaches in the recent past. Don't for a second think that CSU is immune. Even if both schools go in a different direction, there will be openings at other schools as the dominoes fall. Sparkles isn't some new-age Lubick. He is a SEC guy and is looking for a ticket back there.

I wouldn't classify Tennessee as a "Blue Blood". They have sunk almost as low as we have. Not quite, but in the same ballpark. The difference is that they are far more willing to spend stoopid money than we are. But make no mistake, ANY P5 team right now is raking in cash at a rate that was previously unheard of. It's insane money and teams like Kansas, Washington State, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers and Duke are getting their slice of the pie.

Both Florida and Michigan have hired MWC coaches in the recent past. Don't for a second think that CSU is immune. Even if both schools go in a different direction, there will be openings at other schools as the dominoes fall. Sparkles isn't some new-age Lubick. He is a SEC guy and is looking for a ticket back there.

????

True enough. There is always a risk if the one of the blue bloods comes calling, but that will always be true. I think the buyout does eliminate the risk of some of the middle or lower tier P5 programs from coming in to try and pry him away though.

I don't think he would be interested in a lower end P5 job anyways. He would rather win at CSU than lose at some place that effectively stops his career.

He has experienced life in an elite program at Bama and I think that is his target. With his background as a coordinator for a NC team winning the MWC with a team that prior to his coming was a consistent 3-9 performer will put him on the radar for a program with the support to win big, not just show up.

I said "Almost". They righted their ship before we did. No doubt about that. They were less than mediocre for a stretch of 3-4 years, though.

But still have 100,000 fans coming out and puting up the money to get back to where they think they should be.

You are right. If Tennessee thinks that McElwain is the guy they want, money won't be what stops them from getting him.

You may be right, but I think an SEC type opening is what it would likely take. And even then I would be surprised to see him bolt for a job like Vandy or Kentucky where they never really compete. If one of elite jobs opens up (like Tennessee) he would be a fool not to look at it. I am just not nearly as concerned about the Kansas type programs of the world at this point. especially with that buyout. It would be foolish to make a move like that at this point in his career when much bigger programs could be on the horizon.

Last edited:
I said "Almost". They righted their ship before we did. No doubt about that. They were less than mediocre for a stretch of 3-4 years, though.

Their worst season in the past 35 years is 5-7 with a handful of close losses that kept them out of a bowl. That's infinitely better than what we've been of late.

I don't think he would be interested in a lower end P5 job anyways. He would rather win at CSU than lose at some place that effectively stops his career.

He has experienced life in an elite program at Bama and I think that is his target. With his background as a coordinator for a NC team winning the MWC with a team that prior to his coming was a consistent 3-9 performer will put him on the radar for a program with the support to win big, not just show up.
This is what I was thinking too. Just wondering if the drop I see them having next year will affect his chances.

This is what I was thinking too. Just wondering if the drop I see them having next year will affect his chances.

It would make sense for him to just while he is hot and this year is as hot as he is going to get, especially if he wins the conference.

Their worst season in the past 35 years is 5-7 with a handful of close losses that kept them out of a bowl. That's infinitely better than what we've been of late.

At Tennessee, you schedule 4 patsies per year and then get to play Kentucky and Vanderbilt. If you win only 5 games, that's catastrophic. I freely admit that they didn't fall as far as we did, but for a while there, they were on the same trajectory.

I don't think McElwain believes there will be a large drop off next season. Breaking in a new QB will obviosuly be critical, but a big chunk of the roster returns. 8 starters return on offense and 8 return on defense. CSU should be one of the favorites coming into the MWC next season.

Last edited:
CSU already is a good school, it would have to be SEC Elite level for him to leave.
Haha. Hahaha ha. Almost any BCS school is a upgrade for a football coach in a NON - BCS conference. Piss poor fan support. ****ty facilities. Very limited ceiling. Plus I'm sure he doesn't want to get stuck in a non-AQ conference (in before Big 12) with the changes coming.

CSU is a good school. It's just not a good athletic school. With the changes in how college sports are managed, they will be less and less of an athletic school going forward. It will probably turn out to be a good thing that the stadium idea got killed. They can build a big addition to the vet school in that same spot. Better yet, build a big addition to the vet school where Hughes is now. That could be the entire vet school out there. Perfect spot for it. Before too long, they won't be needing it for football games any more.

Hi Rammie.

Here is a test of your great CSU education. Our site is called "Allbuffs".

ALL BUFFS means just that. ALL BUFFS. ITS NOT ALMOSTALLBUFFS. And ALLBUFFS doesn't mean Rammies or Rammies that wish they were Buffs.

I'm glad we could help you.

So go now and get back to Sheep Nation. They're waiting for you there!

CSU already is a good school........

Hi Rammie.

Here is a test of your great CSU education. Our site is called "Allbuffs".

ALL BUFFS means just that. ALL BUFFS. ITS NOT ALMOSTALLBUFFS. And ALLBUFFS doesn't mean Rammies or Rammies that wish they were Buffs.

I'm glad we could help you.

So go now and get back to Sheep Nation. They're waiting for you there!

Dear Rammie:

Don't be scared by some on this board. It's been a difficult year, and they are beginning to get a little bit irritable. I flow with empathy.

Respectfully,

BuffSurveyor

Back