What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official NCAA Selection Sunday 2014 thread

Between the 2 of you, you got it - Nebraska, New Mexico and Kansas. Oklahoma brings up a good point but I guess Oral Roberts was the one who didn't make it.

Some odd choices in the West bracket (Mostly just Oregon):

Arizona could potentially face rematches vs. SDSU and Oregon.

Oregon starts off with a rematch vs. BYU.

Did anyone see CBS question Ron Wheeler about UMASS's 6 seed and New Mexico's 7 seed? Ron didn't argue the committee's point of view too well, but I bet UMASS's win over New Mexico had something to do with it.

Yes I realize there are more teams in the East, that doesn't mean you can't somewhat regionalize the games. Why not have CU in St. Louis compared to Orlando? Sterile environments FTW!

Because Wichita State and Kansas were going to get to play in St Louis over Colorado. Once it was determined who the 8 and 9 seeds were, when Colorado was not in the Midwest region there was no way they were going to be in St Louis.

Because Wichita State and Kansas were going to get to play in St Louis over Colorado. Once it was determined who the 8 and 9 seeds were, when Colorado was not in the Midwest region there was no way they were going to be in St Louis.
I get the top seed gets the area, it's just dumb that they put a west coast team across the country in Orlando while UK/KSjU get St. Louis or Gonzaga/St.Louis get a game in San Diego

Regarding the above "trivia question," the only states to put all DI schools in the dance are Kansas and New Mexico.

Colorado record against the field 5-8.
5 Wins

#2 Kansas
#7 Oregon
#10 Arizona State
#10 Stanford
#12 Harvard

8 Losses

#1 Arizona (3)
#4 UCLA (2)
#6 Baylor
#6 Oklahoma State
#10 Arizona State

I get the top seed gets the area, it's just dumb that they put a west coast team across the country in Orlando while UK/KSjU get St. Louis or Gonzaga/St.Louis get a game in San Diego

Well, they weren't going to put Kentucky in the South, considering they could have a Round of 32 game with Florida (Conference opponent and all). And don't think they would move Colorado down a seed line just because of geographical reasons.

Colorado record against the field 5-8.
5 Wins

#2 Kansas
#7 Oregon
#10 Arizona State
#10 Stanford
#12 Harvard

8 Losses

#1 Arizona (3)
#4 UCLA (2)
#6 Baylor
#6 Oklahoma State
#10 Arizona State

Pitt 3 wins 8 losses

Wins:
Stanford
NC State
North Carolina

Losses:
Cincinnati
Syracuse x2
Virginia x2
North Carolina
Duke
NC State

Well, they weren't going to put Kentucky in the South, considering they could have a Round of 32 game with Florida (Conference opponent and all). And don't think they would move Colorado down a seed line just because of geographical reasons.

:nod:

Buffs weren't going to be an 8/9 in the West, either. So it was 1 of 3 regions to be placed. I thought the committee might have liked the Tad Boyle & Wichita State story line, but it obviously didn't happen.

The committee isn't supposed to weigh the end of the season more than the early season (which I think is dumb, but whatever), yet there are some examples where I think it would be hard to argue that they weren't inconsistent in (not) applying this philosophy:

Inconsistency is what I have a problem with. It seems as if they bumped up Oregon (8-1), Baylor (10-2), & BYU (10-2) for late good play, but not Louisville (12-1) or New Mexico (9-1). They also didn’t penalize Iowa (1-6), Wisconsin (1-2), or St. Louis (1-4) for late losses, but they did SMU (0-3).

Just some observations. Not much to argue about regarding the selections, although I think SMU deserved to be in over Iowa. I feel like the committee felt that they needed to reward the good Big Ten with a sixth team, so that's why Iowa got in.

Last edited:
The committee isn't supposed to weigh the end of the season more than the early season (which I think is dumb, but whatever), yet there are some examples where I think it would be hard to argue that they weren't inconsistent in (not) applying this philosophy:

Iconsistency is what I have a problem with. It seems as if they bumped up Oregon (8-1), Baylor (10-2), & BYU (10-2) for late good play, but not Louisville (12-1) or New Mexico (9-1). They also didn’t penalize Iowa (1-6), Wisconsin (1-2), or St. Louis (1-4) for late losses, but they did SMU (0-3).

Just some observations. Not much to argue about regarding the selections, although I think SMU deserved to be in over Iowa. I feel like the committee felt that they needed to reward the good Big Ten with a sixth team, so that's why Iowa got in.

I also think they credited UVa for its second half run, after they started out 13-5 with losses to Wisky, Green Bay, and got smothered @ Tennessee. Winning the ACC regular season and tourney titles is impressive, but if we're looking at the entire "body of work" with no emphasis on the latter part of the season, I don't see how they get a #1 seed. Of course, no one else really stepped up to take it either.

I also think they credited UVa for its second half run, after they started out 13-5 with losses to Wisky, Green Bay, and got smothered @ Tennessee. Winning the ACC regular season and tourney titles is impressive, but if we're looking at the entire "body of work" with no emphasis on the latter part of the season, I don't see how they get a #1 seed. Of course, no one else really stepped up to take it either.

When it spans over half a season and results in an ACC regular season and conference title, how can you not credit it? It's clear the few losses early on were the exception to the rule. And no one was more deserving for that final 1 seed than UVA. I can't believe some people are saying they "backed into it" (not you, L). Yeah, winning the ACC by a wide margin and then winning the tournament. 28 wins. Find me someone better

Nobody took that seed, though. Michigan had it, but lost. Louisville played such a bad schedule they weren't even Top 15 in RPI. Kansas lost too many games. Nova lost to Seton Hall (and only beat 1 Top 25 all year). SDSU lost to New Mexico. Duke lost (to Virginia). Wisconsin bowed out of the B1G tourney in the semis. Creighton got beat by Providence.

When it came right down to it, the committee picked the 1-seed that didn't back into the spot. Louisville would have completely invalidated the messaging of playing a solid non-conference schedule. Virginia was really the only choice.

:nod:

Buffs weren't going to be an 8/9 in the West, either. So it was 1 of 3 regions to be placed. I thought the committee might have liked the Tad Boyle & Wichita State story line, but it obviously didn't happen.

That's what I was hoping for. Felt KSU was a really good matchup for CU, and WSU probably the most untested of the other #1 seeds. Plus easier to make the trip to St. Louis (although also easy for KSU fans as well). Plus figured both KU and WSU fans would be united in cheering against KSU.

Like you said, 3 possible outcomes and this was probably the worst of the 3.

Nobody took that seed, though. Michigan had it, but lost. Louisville played such a bad schedule they weren't even Top 15 in RPI. Kansas lost too many games. Nova lost to Seton Hall (and only beat 1 Top 25 all year). SDSU lost to New Mexico. Duke lost (to Virginia). Wisconsin bowed out of the B1G tourney in the semis. Creighton got beat by Providence.

When it came right down to it, the committee picked the 1-seed that didn't back into the spot. Louisville would have completely invalidated the messaging of playing a solid non-conference schedule. Virginia was really the only choice.

Also got pounded - badly - by Creighton twice. One of the losses was by over 40.

I would bet a whole helluva lot more than in Orlando. St. Louis is a 13 hour drive from Boulder, it's a 26 hour drive to Orlando.
And a helluva lot is how many? How many do you think are going to miss 2-3 days of work when the Buffs have been in the Tourney for three straight years and have a tough matchup against Florida after this.

What you are suggesting is illogical. The whole idea of the current system is you are minimizing travel for the top 4 teams in each region, not every higher seed. You're playing two games in short order.

They aren't going to give regional preference to the 8th seed. If it works out great, but that would be a coincidence.

NIT #1 seeds ... Minny, SMU, FSU, and St. John's.
Some surprise here that MD didn't get in the NIT or as I called the "Drive for #69."

Last edited by a moderator:
They host Utah Valley on Wednesday. :lol:

Only got a 2 seed as well. Utah got a 5 seed, have to visit St. Mary's in round one. Utah fans are pissed.

Oregon State will presumably be in Craig Robsinson's favorite tournament, the CBI. He's on track for the CBI Hall of Fame. Pitt has some recent first hand knowledge of the CBI, maybe we can ask them.

Back