What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Now, this looks like the dumbest way to frame an argument that I have ever seen. The ACC is going to top 200 million on their tv deal but they only have a deal with ESPN. The pac 12 will be at almost 150 million from espn and fox totally 288 million. Maybe I don’t understand their math but to say the ACC is ahead makes no sense what so ever, they have 2 more teams as well.

Yeah, I don’t really understand this or any of the math based on the tweet they posted in the article.

For 2022, This shows the B1G with a total of $459m across ESPN and Fox. SEC with a total of $260 across ESPN and CBS, the ACC with $177m with just ESPN, and the Pac 12 with $244m across ESPN and Fox.

What am I missing?

Yeah, I don’t really understand this or any of the math based on the tweet they posted in the article.

For 2022, This shows the B1G with a total of $459m across ESPN and Fox. SEC with a total of $260 across ESPN and CBS, the ACC with $177m with just ESPN, and the Pac 12 with $244m across ESPN and Fox.

What am I missing?

That footballscoop is a bunch of morons?

That footballscoop is a bunch of morons?
Are those really the numbers though? The Pac 12 is really only $16m total behind the SEC next year? That can’t be right. Even when the SEC contract is backloaded in 2025, the SEC makes $307m and Pac 12 makes $288m? No matter which year or how you look at that, the Pac 12 is solidly in third in TV revenue and not far behind the SEC. those numbers can’t be right

The difference is in the networks. The Pac 12 network doesn't generate the same profit for the schools. This is where Larry screwed the pooch.

Are those really the numbers though? The Pac 12 is really only $16m total behind the SEC next year? That can’t be right. Even when the SEC contract is backloaded in 2025, the SEC makes $307m and Pac 12 makes $288m? No matter which year or how you look at that, the Pac 12 is solidly in third in TV revenue and not far behind the SEC. those numbers can’t be right
Yes the SEC only distributed 45 million last year and I think the pac 12 was at something like 33 million. The SEC was getting hosed on that CBS contract but those numbers also don’t include tier three rights where the SEC network generates a tonnnn more revenue per team than the pac 12 network.

The Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC are expected to make a formal announcement about their alignment soon, perhaps as early as next week, multiple sources told The Athletic. It's not yet clear how specific the announcement will be because there are so many details to iron out, although administrators in all three leagues have stressed in recent conversations that issues of governance can and should be front and center.

Schools within the three conferences believe they are like-minded, that they want to continue to prioritize broad-based sports offerings and that the academic profile of their institutions matters — as does graduating athletes. For example, Big Ten schools sponsor an average of 24.8 sports per campus, with the ACC (23.8) and Pac-12 (22.9) not far behind. SEC schools offer an average of 19.9 sports.

link

I'm interested to see what's cooking here. the comment about keeping governance front and center makes it sound like they're talking about either NCAA reform, or exiting the NCAA or some set of uniform rules between the three conferences (which would imply homogeneity in number of games, rules on satellite camps, transfers, recruiting, etc...)

link

I'm interested to see what's cooking here. the comment about keeping governance front and center makes it sound like they're talking about either NCAA reform, or exiting the NCAA or some set of uniform rules between the three conferences (which would imply homogeneity in number of games, rules on satellite camps, transfers, recruiting, etc...)
It’s more of a push back to pure pay for play which is where the SEC seems to be headed.

It’s more of a push back to pure pay for play which is where the SEC seems to be headed.
are you saying the announcement next week will primarily indicate alignment between the three conferences regarding how they agree to regulate NIL?

link

Count me as intrigued.

9 conference games, 1 B1G, 1 ACC, 1 OOC every year

As long as that OOC isn’t against an SEC team, right? To me, this has all the indications of a pushback against the SEC and an effort to isolate them.
I think so, but note that it's going to be hard for some ACC teams to give up cross-conference rivalries.

Clemson vs USC-East
GT vs UGA
FSU vs UF

are you saying the announcement next week will primarily indicate alignment between the three conferences regarding how they agree to regulate NIL?
No I think they agree with the NIL stuff but the SEC is more than likely going to a pure pay for play system and the other conferences don’t want that.

“I’ve been in frequent and regular contact with all of the other A5 commissioners the last few weeks about the complex issues that are facing the industry,” Kliavkoff said. He also added that there is “nothing to report on this specific matter at this time.”

anyone know is 'A5' a typo for 'P5'?

if no, what does 'A5' mean?

if yes, this is the first I've heard of collaboration between the XII and the Alliance conferences since the UT / OU news broke. that seems signficant.

I don’t know how this will all affect the money to the Pac 12, but this is likely best case scenario for CU.

The problem with a scheduling alliance is every team getting out of the next decade of OOC contracts that have already been signed

I don’t know how this will all affect the money to the Pac 12, but this is likely best case scenario for CU.

The problem with a scheduling alliance is every team getting out of the next decade of OOC contracts that have already been signed
Have to assume that the preliminary negotiations with TV partners (likely Fox Sports) have given the indication that the media deal would be well worth the cost of breaking those contracts.

Have to assume that the preliminary negotiations with TV partners (likely Fox Sports) have given the indication that the media deal would be well worth the cost of breaking those contracts.
or even greater the risk of having those contracts challenged in court

CU’s schedule over the next 5-6 years is actually fairly conducive for this alliance and wouldn’t need to be changed much.

2023 - Nebraska, TCU and CSU - they'd have replace TCU probably but that’s it. Maybe they’d actually replace CSU so they could play in Texas?

2024 - Neb, CSU, NDSU - replace NDSU w ACC team

2025 - GT, Hou, Wyoming - Probably replace Wyoming w B1G game so they can play in Texas

2026 - GT, Northwestern, Houston - Perfect schedule. No need to change

2027 - Colgate, NW, KSU - Replace KSU w ACC game

Back