What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Given the decline of California when it comes to recruiting, I think there will be less opposition to dropping to eight conference games in the PAC. Too bad that means less games against the B1G East for ****braska. It also looks like Norte Dame will be viewed more of an ACC member for football yet retain its independence.

I'm curious to see what this does for basketball as well.
The networks will not let the pac 12 drop to 8 conference games.

Given the decline of California when it comes to recruiting, I think there will be less opposition to dropping to eight conference games in the PAC. Too bad that means less games against the B1G East for ****braska. It also looks like Norte Dame will be viewed more of an ACC member for football yet retain its independence.

I'm curious to see what this does for basketball as well.

Yea Wetzel was talking this morning about how games against ND might fit into this and he was speculating that the ND game might count as the ACC game each year for Stanford and USC.

They can do that with 9 conference games.

We would end up with 11 P5 games every year in all likelihood under that scenario.

I think it will be easier to convince the Big10 and the Pac12 to drop to 8 conference games then it will be to convince the ACC to jump to 9. Especially given the new scheduling alliance. I guess we will see.

We would end up with 11 P5 games every year in all likelihood under that scenario.

I think it will be easier to convince the Big10 and the Pac12 to drop to 8 conference games then it will be to convince the ACC to jump to 9. Especially given the new scheduling alliance. I guess we will see.
Tv networks would love to get all three conferences to 11 P5 games. The ACC will go along because they will get more money from espn in a race to try and catch tbe SEC in revenue.

Tv networks would love to get all three conferences to 11 P5 games. The ACC will go along because they will get more money from espn in a race to try and catch tbe SEC in revenue.
Think it is going to depend on how the CFP stuff shakes out. Don't want to make your schedule so difficult that it puts you at risk for multiple losses.

Either way it's good news for the the three conferences revenue wise.

Going to 11 P5 games might be the only way "The Alliance" is able to get on the same monetary level as the SEC, but then you have the question of whether the B1G is willing to do that while the SEC marches on with only 9 or 10

Going to 11 P5 games might be the only way "The Alliance" is able to get on the same monetary level as the SEC, but then you have the question of whether the B1G is willing to do that while the SEC marches on with only 8
If the alliance agrees to freeze out the SEC unless they improve their scheduling... maybe?

I don’t really see a way the sec stays at 8 games with 16 members.
Hopefully you're right, but I also struggle to see how adding Texas and OU is good for the SEC from a competitive standpoint, so I could also see them deciding they still need all the body bag games possible and avoid OU vs Bama or UT vs Georgia, etc in the regular season
If the alliance agrees to freeze out the SEC unless they improve their scheduling... maybe?
This is where the unknown is right? How do they intend to freeze out the SEC with this alliance? Is there going to be the creation of a single governing body for CFB, of which decisions are made by the P5 institutions voting?

Hopefully you're right, but I also struggle to see how adding Texas and OU is good for the SEC from a competitive standpoint, so I could also see them deciding they still need all the body bag games possible and avoid OU vs Bama or UT vs Georgia, etc in the regular season

This is where the unknown is right? How do they intend to freeze out the SEC with this alliance? Is there going to be the creation of a single governing body for CFB, of which decisions are made by the P5 institutions voting?
I think The Alliance is taking the first steps to breaking from the NCAA. The SEC agrees to play ball or they get left out.

I think The Alliance is taking the first steps to breaking from the NCAA. The SEC agrees to play ball or they get left out.
Will the SEC opt to just roll with their 16 teams and make their own playoff and championship? I can't imagine that would be appealing, unless there was an agreement for SEC champ to play the Alliance champ for the Natty.

This is far more about counteracting ESPN and delaying the playoff than the scheduling and "like schools" aspect. We already get some of these games - UW-Michigan, Oregon-tOSU, Rutgers-Syracuse, Minnesota-CU, Northwestern-Duke, MSU-Miami are all scheduled for this year.

Not having the CFB all on ESPN is definitely a good thing because otherwise Fox might back their commitment to college football which in turn lowers the overall profile of the sport.

I'd say this is a reckoning point for college football in general in this country. That will in turn affect the NFL down the road so this is really about the future of football in general not to mention college athletics. One of the major selling points of college athletics is the David versus Goliath type of battles between the small time teams versus the big time teams and also having a Cinderella type of team. How much of that will go away if the P5 schools break away to form their own division?

databank_ackbar_01_169_55137220.jpeg

I
Will the SEC opt to just roll with their 16 teams and make their own playoff and championship? I can't imagine that would be appealing, unless there was an agreement for SEC champ to play the Alliance champ for the Natty.
I can see Alliance doing this before SEC.

One will try it. Then fans will demand a mega $$$ SEC vs Alliance game (NFL vs AFL).

Will Alliance winner be willing to split that 40 ways?

I

I can see Alliance doing this before SEC.

One will try it. Then fans will demand a mega $$$ SEC vs Alliance game (NFL vs AFL).

Will Alliance winner be willing to split that 40 ways?
Which comes back to my question in the past about what a media deal among Fox, CBS, NBC and maybe some streaming companies might look like for a 41 (ND included) team league.

Notre Dame, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Oregon, Washington, UCLA and USC is very much on par (actually better) with OU, Texas, Bama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn and Tennessee.

Can The Alliance monetize this to the extent where it would raise all boats and splitting everything 41 ways would still have the Alliance elites come out ahead? Will ND and the B1G be willing to forego some revenue in order to create something like this?

Back