What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

If you consider current state populations and growth trends, KSU is a terrible idea.

If the Pac added 4, we'd be crazy not to get a piece of TX.

For the other choices, I think some thought has to be given to owning states like Nevada and Idaho. Also, a 2nd school in Texas or competing for a share of OK.

TX - #2 pop, 29.146M, 15.9% growth from 2010-2020

OK - #28, 3.959M, 5.5%

NV - #33, 3.105M, 15.0%

KS - #36, 2.938M, 3.0%

NM - #37, 2.118M, 2.8%

ID - #39, 1.839M, 17.3%

Just based on the above, I think the smart move balances current marketability with long-term prospects and would be a Pac-16 that adds:

Texas Tech
Texas Christian
UNLV
Oklahoma State

Been playing for almost 130 years and are at a 75% win/loss rate if we get the next one. Plays to a full house. If you're the AD, you'd be crazy not to schedule it.
Yeah, if they are going to schedule a G5/FCS matchup every year, it should be CSU, albeit not at MHS, unless CU makes out better financially. This UNC game is nice as CU is breaking in a new QB, but there couldn’t be less excitement

I'm fine scheduling CSU every few years, but not every year. So tired of that series.
Some good arguments for scheduling them even if their fans are obnoxious.

Best bet might be to put them on a 5 year schedule that includes a mix of two games in Folsom, one in Ft. Collins and two years without filling those years with another regional G5 like Wyoming, New Mexico, AFA (prefer not because their offense is a pain to prepare for and doesn't help us with anyone else in season,)

This is obvious to me that we are going to a super conference with the BIG/ACC/Pac/ND alliance, which I think is awesome.

Ultimately, trying to protect any type of sanctity that is college sports is of value to the 3 conferences (they mentioned this a few times). Love this direction and pretty much gives you access from coast to coast.

They'll leave the NCAA and start their own governing body with whatever teams they have and essentially give the SEC and ultimatum to join with their stipulations or get ****ed.

SEC/ESPN overplayed their hands. An SEC only schedule is bound to self implode at some point. While those areas are rabid and will stay engaged, eventually the rest of the country will lose interest with the same teams constantly playing.

I think this is a great start to hopefully keeping college sports, college sports.

Last edited:
Because I'm a total nerd, I came up with this analogy for the current situation - it's not a perfect fit but I think it's close :

The current Big 12 is post-WWII Berlin...

The SEC is the Soviet Union, taking out and controlling a pretty good chunk of Berlin in the form of Texas and Oklahoma ("East Berlin")

In comes the Allied forces of the US, UK, and France (read: "The Alliance" of the ACC/Big 10/Pac-12; exactly which country is which conference is up for grabs) to carve up the rest of "West Berlin" - the 8 remaining Big 12 teams who don't have a great chance of survival together as a conference and need the Alliance to bail them out (insert something about the "Berlin Airlift" here)...

110107-D-7991K-005.JPG

Thus, the Cold War between the SEC and the Alliance was born...

Conference games are money makers. Especially with your tier three tv rights.

I think this is being done largely for T3 TV reasons. i think they either worry or hear rumor that the SEC plans to play an all SEC schedule to enhance their paymaster, ESPN and future payouts from them. That would make ALL the games a compelling made for TV moment. It makes SEC T3 more valuable in the SEC Nets 50/50 arrangement. People are not tuning in for Alabama versus Sisters of the Blind like they would for Alabama LSU. CBS’s departure paves the way for some of that to happen.

For those reasons the so called Alliance might be about revenue growth thru T3 rights where 2 or all 3 OOC games are played against Alliance teams throughout the year. Then the Alliance maybe bundles all 3 conferences T3 rights and sells them in a single contract down the road (the ACCs network is an ESPN production)

I know this much; if they dont enhance value somehow the SEC WILL come back and pick off someone else. Reading the last few pages a lot of team names are being tossed out and none are exciting. Id image that expansion for the ACC and B1G are also a challenge in their respective footprints as well. And you dont expand unless the TV people

Ideally you have the three conferences work over the next year or two to develop a structure that works for the 42 schools (including ND). Have an agreement in hand to use in negotiations with the TV partners and proceed forward with basically a 42 team mega conference.

A 42 team mega conference is a pain in the ass and takes away the distinction and tradition each of three conferences already has. I dont like that and I dont think fans will either. Someone in that 42 team arrangement is likely to get pissed off as well (think the old BIGXII we left). I think its better to arrange this as a League of 3 conferences more than a mega conference. That preserves the distinct conferences and is probably contractually more simple.

Last edited:
15804461_0.jpg

I think this is being done largely for T3 TV reasons. i think they either worry or hear rumor that the SEC plans to play an all SEC schedule to enhance their paymaster, ESPN and future payouts from them. That would make ALL the games a compelling made for TV moment. It makes SEC T3 more in the SEC Nets 50/50 arrangement more valuable. People are not tuning in for Alabama versus Sisters of the Blind like they would for Alabama LSU. CBS’s departure paves the way for some of that to happen.

For those reasons the so called Alliance might be about growth thru T3 rights where 2 or all 3 OOC games are played against Alliance teams throughout the year. Then the Alliance maybe bundles all 3 conferences T3 rights and sells them in a single contract down the road (the ACCs network is an ESPN production)

I know this much; if they dont enhance value somehow the SEC WILL come back and pick off someone else. Reading the last few pages a lot of team names are being tossed out and none are exciting. Id image that expansion for the ACC and B1G are also a challenge in their respective footprints as well. And you dont expand unless the TV people

A 42 team mega conference is a pain in the ass and takes away the distinction and tradition each of three conferences already has. I dont like that and I dont think fans will either. Someone in that 42 team arrangement is likely to get pissed off as well (think the old BIGXII we left). I think its better to arrange this as a League of 3 conferences more than a mega conference. That preserves the distinct conferences and is probably contractually more simple.
I think the 42 team arrangement would basically be arranged the way it is now. The historical conference boundaries would ultimately represent your "divisions".

Because I'm a total nerd, I came up with this analogy for the current situation - it's not a perfect fit but I think it's close :

The current Big 12 is post-WWII Berlin...

The SEC is the Soviet Union, taking out and controlling a pretty good chunk of Berlin in the form of Texas and Oklahoma ("East Berlin")

In comes the Allied forces of the US, UK, and France (read: "The Alliance" of the ACC/Big 10/Pac-12; exactly which country is which conference is up for grabs) to carve up the rest of "West Berlin" - the 8 remaining Big 12 teams who don't have a great chance of survival together as a conference and need the Alliance to bail them out (insert something about the "Berlin Airlift" here)...

View attachment 46244

Thus, the Cold War between the SEC and the Alliance was born...
You’re right: it’s not perfect. And it’s not close, either. But I applaud your attempt.

I think the Pac stays pat, announcement on Friday.

The XII then moves to expand in a last attempt to remain relevant. Some subset of BYU, Bouse, Nevada, Houston, Cincy, UNLV, AFA, CSU, Tulane

What I’m really doing is calling the anti-Baylor moral outrage self-serving at best and fake at worst. If you want to get to the heart of the matter.

🤣

How exactly is it self-serving to hate Baylor? What benefit does anyone who posts here receive by pointing out that Baylor sucks? It's like you don't understand words.

Last edited:
Back