What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

It’s interesting reading the various 247 message boards for Big 12 members. A lot of fans hang their hats on the PAC 12 not expanding at this time. The thinking is that the remaining Big 12 members want the full exit fee from OUT first. (I like the blended acronym there for OU and UT).

Baylor seems resigned that no one wants them. Expand with Cincy, UCF, BYU, Boise.

KU pining for a Big 10 invite.

KSU thinks USC is leaving the PAC 12.

Tech thinks they have an invite (silent verbal!??!) from the PAC, but waiting for an exit fee.

Nobody mentions CSU as a target.

It’s interesting reading the various 247 message boards for Big 12 members. A lot of fans hang their hats on the PAC 12 not expanding at this time. The thinking is that the remaining Big 12 members want the full exit fee from OUT first. (I like the blended acronym there for OU and UT).

Baylor seems resigned that no one wants them. Expand with Cincy, UCF, BYU, Boise.

KU pining for a Big 10 invite.

KSU thinks USC is leaving the PAC 12.

Tech thinks they have an invite (silent verbal!??!) from the PAC, but waiting for an exit fee.

Nobody mentions CSU as a target.
I have a cousin that went to KSU. She's a moron like the rest of their fans.

I have a cousin that went to KSU. She's a moron like the rest of their fans.
KSU fan is the most bitter about this whole realignment. Their entire discussion seems to be based on a hope that the PAC 12 will blow up too. I suppose when you realize you are not in anyone’s plans...ever...you just hope for a sh!t show.

It’s not an Alliance. It’s an Agreement, a weak one that wasn’t ready for that presser. Much gnarly work to do to make it operational even on some items where conferences will have conflicting priorities. They have, however, set themselves up nicely to ensure CFP contract will be a bid process and for future governance matters.

The Agreement will still play the SEC. They will honor the majority of the current t contracts. And, in the end, will vote for an expanded CFP with other networks getting a shot.

It’s not an Alliance. It’s an Agreement, a weak one that wasn’t ready for that presser. Much gnarly work to do to make it operational even on some items where conferences will have conflicting priorities. They have, however, set themselves up nicely to ensure CFP contract will be a bid process and for future governance matters.

The Agreement will still play the SEC. They will honor the majority of the current t contracts. And, in the end, will vote for an expanded CFP with other networks getting a shot.
Which was mostly the point. The scheduling aspect is secondary and will come together with time. I bet each program looks at their current OOC contracts and starts getting out of the ones that make sense to start opening up dates. I think they’ll also announce the drop of a conference game soon.

And yes, it makes sense to continue playing SEC

The ACC has hired Newark, a Texas based real estate advisory firm to evaluate the ACC's location. The ACC has also hired Jim Delany (former B1G Commissioner) and Kevin Weiberg (former BigXII Commissioner). to assess matters of governance, budgets, staffing, revenue generation, and branding.

The most mentioned alternative is Charlotte, about 90 miles southwest of Greensboro and home of the conference's football championship game and the leagues preseason gathering. Charlotte occasionally hosts the ACC's men's basketball tournament and houses an ESPN studio complex.
Other options include the largest markets in the ACC footprint: New York, Washington, Boston, and Atlanta.

the move isn't the big news, IMO. Hiring two former P5 commissioners as consultants seems more significant to me.

link

With the announcement Thursday that the Pac-12 Conference will not explore expansion in the near future, the fracturing Big 12 will throw its energy into looking at potential new members, Kirby Hocutt said.

The Texas Tech athletics director is part of a four-person expansion subcommittee tasked with leading the effort, which starts immediately.

"Right now, our complete focus is to make the Big 12 as strong as it can possibly be," Hocutt said, "and I expect that Texas Tech will play a leadership role in that. We're going to continue to be part of the power-five structure in college athletics."

Hocutt said Baylor AD Mack Rhoades, Kansas Chancellor Doug Girod and Iowa State President Wendy Wintersteen are the others on the subcommittee. The Big 12 in the past few days has enlisted Oliver Luck, the former West Virginia AD and XFL commissioner, as a consultant to aide in working through realignment.

link

Who are the most likely targets?

Tier 1 Candidates?
BYU, Houston, UCF, USF, Cincinnati, Boise, UNLV

Tier 2 Candidates?
CSU, SDSU, UNLV, SMU?

Don’t think BYU will be invited in this case.

UCF
Cincy
Memphis
Houston

Can’t go wrong with that one.

BYU, Houston, Memphis, and UCF would actually be solid for the Big 12.
At this point it seems like any move the Big12 could make just relegates them to G6 status. Not a lot out there to move the needle in comparison to the Alliance or the SEC.

Flash forward a couple seasons and we might be looking at a P2 (Alliance, SEC) and a G6.

Which was mostly the point. The scheduling aspect is secondary and will come together with time. I bet each program looks at their current OOC contracts and starts getting out of the ones that make sense to start opening up dates. I think they’ll also announce the drop of a conference game soon.

And yes, it makes sense to continue playing SEC
They said they would honor contracts. Likely had fingers crossed behind back.

Replace Memphis with Cincy.

Honestly, that conference might be on par or slightly ahead of P12.
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Back