What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Yep, the NFL does scheduling based on prior year finish, so it can obviously be done. I think the uneven number of teams can be solved by having the 13/14 B1G teams play each other, even if that means they play twice that year. Those teams aren’t generating ratings anyways.
Or give them each home body bag payday games - the game is contracted by the conference, not the team. NU doesn't like getting beat at home by the Bison? Don't finish last.

So you are saying that CSU and BYU don't make up for the losses and shore up the 'Big XII'? How can that be? Yet another angle for nonstop laughter.

So you are saying that CSU and BYU don't make up for the losses and shore up the 'Big XII'? How can that be? Yet another angle for nonstop laughter.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

I thought it was pretty clear - CSU and BYU not only are cash negative for the Big 12, plus they get their asses kicked every year.

I think the case could be made that BYU would be pretty competitive in the current Big 12 though. ISU or OSU might be ahead of them in football, nobody else is.

CSU, otoh. 🤡:ROFLMAO:

Seriously though - the Big 12 will implode before it invites CSU.

WVU, TCU, and ****bailer (plus OSU and TTU, if it came to it) would jump to the AAC before they invite any MWC schools besides BSU.

Texas Tech played for a National Championship two years ago and Baylor just dominated on the way to winning it all this year. KU is the breadwinner in the conference for sure, but I think you are over estimating the percentage they account for of that $25m/year the conference hoops programs account for.

Regardless, each B1G program pulls in like $50m/year currently and their next deal is likely going to be $70-$80m/year. KU hoops would have to add $70-$80m/year just to be revenue neutral for the other schools. That's not happening.
BU is a legit hoops power, as much as I hate to say it. That's been sustained success.

TTU has the feel of being a flash in the pan with an elite coach who was able to have 1 magical year despite the program's limitations.

Completely agree on the first part - no way the SEC has any interest in Baylor.

If the SEC were to add any more schools the most likely candidates would be VT and NC State but that's probably only if the B1G first raids the ACC.
On that note, it's about incremental value more than absolute value. On absolute value, FSU/MIA/GAT check every box. CLEM is currently a hyper elite of national powers.

But the SEC already has those home markets. So major programs in NC and VA likely carry more relative value for the conference.

I really do think that in an expanded playoff world (have to start there for it to work) having the season's inter (and maybe even intra) conference schedule determined by ranking the previous season makes tons of sense.

The conferences currently having different numbers of teams does present a problem though.
College football scheduling is too hard to do it year to year in the offseason.

College football scheduling is too hard to do it year to year in the offseason.
Really?

Did you forget to use the sarcasm font?

You might be thinking about academic class schedules, but if the NHL and NBA can schedule games in the same damn arenas on a <6 month timetable, surely the people who are running schools where they literally teach people how to do operations management can figure it out.

I really don’t think it does. Figure KU represents almost all, if not all of the hoops revenues for the B12. Put that brand in with Michigan, Indiana, Michigan State and Ohio State and it elevates the entire profile for the conference in basketball - by a lot.
This would also effectively kill off the B12 as a basketball conference. It was just killed as a football conference. Now it won’t even be a basketball conference - again, less competition produces fewer suppliers of content and increased value for those who do produce.

Tl/dr version: KU hoops is probably worth a lot more than you realize.
I wonder what effect the NIL will have on basketball. The NBA is international and far more valuable than the NFL. Shoring up basketball might be the BIG’s best decision.

I thought it was pretty clear - CSU and BYU not only are cash negative for the Big 12, plus they get their asses kicked every year.

I think the case could be made that BYU would be pretty competitive in the current Big 12 though. ISU or OSU might be ahead of them in football, nobody else is.

CSU, otoh. 🤡:ROFLMAO:
In an NIL world BYU is going to be very very dangerous. Be careful with your predictions in the new era.

KU to the Big Ten makes absolutely no sense. Like at all. Still, would be funny to pull Mizzou out of the SEC as KU's partner.

Wait. That may throw ****bailer a lifeline.

Nevermind.
Ill guess there is a big pool of KU alums in KC and St Louis. So Im not sure its as much of a stretch to pair with Mizzou.

And if USC wasn't serious about changing conferences & cleaning up the mess within the AD, would they have hired Bohn as their AD?

Nah, soccer already gets solid but growing ratings in the states. Way above baseball and hockey. As more boomers die it gets more and more popular. It also brings in a larger female audience since that is probably the biggest sport for girls in the US.
LOL What is the causal relationship here?

Last edited:
Once you get out of football thats a lot of 5 plus hour flights for conf games.
This is ultimately why USC won’t go alone, if they go.

of all the weird scenarios that have been brought up, the merger of B1G and PAC seems to make the most sense at the moment. Problem, as I see it, is that is a very significant move, when several smaller more incremental moves would be more palatable to those in charge. I’d expect to see the scheduling agreement come out first. It’s an easy step to take, and starts the process for an actual merger down the road.

Back