What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Oh I think that stuff matters, but not at the expense of per school revenue, which adding KU is almost assuredly going to drive down now and certainly in the new deal
I really don’t think it does. Figure KU represents almost all, if not all of the hoops revenues for the B12. Put that brand in with Michigan, Indiana, Michigan State and Ohio State and it elevates the entire profile for the conference in basketball - by a lot.
This would also effectively kill off the B12 as a basketball conference. It was just killed as a football conference. Now it won’t even be a basketball conference - again, less competition produces fewer suppliers of content and increased value for those who do produce.

Tl/dr version: KU hoops is probably worth a lot more than you realize.

I really don’t think it does. Figure KU represents almost all, if not all of the hoops revenues for the B12. Put that brand in with Michigan, Indiana, Michigan State and Ohio State and it elevates the entire profile for the conference in basketball - by a lot.
This would also effectively kill off the B12 as a basketball conference. It was just killed as a football conference. Now it won’t even be a basketball conference - again, less competition produces fewer suppliers of content and increased value for those who do produce.

Not to stand up for the Big12, and especially **** bailer, but 7 teams made the dance last year and 1 of them (not named Kansas) won the whole thing. So while KU is the only blue blood in conference, to suggest that it would kill the Big 12 as a basketball conference is probably exaggerated. That said, losing KU might kill the Big 12 as a conference, period, because I agree that it's been killed as a football conference with UT and OU leaving.

For what it’s worth, this is the exact opposite take from Mandel, who essentially said Kansas hoops is worth a lot less than you realize.

Anyway, I’m rooting for KU to get an invite. I also value culture, academics, and geography in conference alignment.

Texas Tech played for a National Championship two years ago and Baylor just dominated on the way to winning it all this year. KU is the breadwinner in the conference for sure, but I think you are over estimating the percentage they account for of that $25m/year the conference hoops programs account for.

Regardless, each B1G program pulls in like $50m/year currently and their next deal is likely going to be $70-$80m/year. KU hoops would have to add $70-$80m/year just to be revenue neutral for the other schools. That's not happening.

I suppose you all could be exactly right and I’m way overestimating KU’s importance and prestige in the landscape of college basketball. If so, that’s just another indicator of how utterly messed up college athletics has become. It has to go beyond football or it ceases to be worthwhile. I’m not even a huge basketball fan, but I appreciate college hoops.

I suppose you all could be exactly right and I’m way overestimating KU’s importance and prestige in the landscape of college basketball. If so, that’s just another indicator of how utterly messed up college athletics has become. It has to go beyond football or it ceases to be worthwhile. I’m not even a huge basketball fan, but I appreciate college hoops.

Agree that conferences need to not be focused too much on football...those stupid TV executives think otherwise.

the ncaa as a governing body is kaput. the conferences can let the networks and distributors drive the train or they can try to do so.

the networks and distributors are driven SOLELY by revenue generation models.

the conferences (excluding the sec) have other considerations. a scheduling alliance and playoff system announced among all but the sec ENDS this power grab. full.stop.

that's how you **** up ESPN and the sec.

this is what i will hope for until proven otherwise.

SIAP, but I saw this excerpt on twitter (original source is here):

The key part is upon being contacted by one of the presidents of the Pac12 schools, Kliavkoff already had 6 different options available to discuss. That's a planner. I wonder how many plans Larry Scott would have had at this point.

Larry would have lots of plans - plans on what to do with his new GulfStream, plans on how to decorate his pad in the Bahamas, plans for staffing his yacht. You know - plans.

That tweet was put out yesterday, which is what prompted the Mandel response I posted that pointed out how it doesn't move the needle financially and is highly unlikely. Obviously, Mandel could be wrong, but if the B1G takes KU, then we should throw out everything we think about what conferences are looking for ($$$$) in realignment.

Maybe the B1G is salivating at the thought of that Rutgers-KU matchup

I don't think you're necessarily overestimating their importance and prestige in the landscape of college basketball, but I think you're overestimating the importance and value of college basketball when it comes to the media value outside of the NCAA tournament.

SIAP, but I saw this excerpt on twitter (original source is here):

The key part is upon being contacted by one of the presidents of the Pac12 schools, Kliavkoff already had 6 different options available to discuss. That's a planner. I wonder how many plans Larry Scott would have had at this point.

Football only/basketball only should 100% be on the table for any conference at this point

Football only/basketball only should 100% be on the table for any conference at this point
Does the PAC add Gonzaga and maybe UNLV, SDSU and UNM as basketball only schools? Would it be worth it to those schools to do something like that? Is it worth it to the PAC? Scheduling would be a bitch with that many schools.

Does the PAC add Gonzaga and maybe UNLV, SDSU and UNM as basketball only schools? Would it be worth it to those schools to do something like that? Is it worth it to the PAC? Scheduling would be a bitch with that many schools.
That'd certainly be fun, but not sure it does much from a $$ standpoint. I just wonder if basketball kind of has a ceiling on media revenue. Regardless of how many good teams there are in a conference, their audience for 2-3 games/week will always mostly be regional.

What does a PAC/B1G alliance even look like? So many different ways that can be interpreted.

What does a PAC/B1G alliance even look like?

Looks like this:

LaviskaBurstNEBA.gif

It would be a little wonky given the B1G has 14 teams and the Pac 12.

I would love to see
8 conference games
1 permanent B1G partner
1 rotating B1G slot based on season finish
2 general OOC games.
Who in the PAC is lucky enough to get Ohio State on the schedule every ****ing year?

Actually I think you could make it work well enough by having an alternating schedule.

Year A, 8 Pac12 + 3 B1G + 1 OOC
Year B, 8 Pac12 + 2 B1G + 2 OOC

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, nobody loves ripping the beating heart out of the fuskers chest more than I do. On the other hand. I hate those guys and playing them brings out the asshole in me. I actually told a fusker fan to get bent at our tailgate a few years ago. All he wanted was some food. I wanted to see him starve to death.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, nobody loves ripping the beating heart out of the ****ers chest more than I do. On the other hand. I hate those guys and playing them brings out the asshole in me. I actually told a ****er fan to get bent at our tailgate a few years ago. All he wanted was some food. I wanted to see him starve to death.

Other than the obvious ties between the schools, it would be a "marquee" game even if the teams aren't playing particularly well. Good match up for TV.

Heh. If I’m Nebraska, the last thing I want is to add another team to the schedule that’s likely to kick our ass.

Bah- who the hell cares what those dipshits want?

KU to the Big Ten makes absolutely no sense. Like at all. Still, would be funny to pull Mizzou out of the SEC as KU's partner.

Wait. That may throw ****bailer a lifeline.

Nevermind.

I do have to chuckle at the lack of any discussion of Bailer finding any kind of landing spot. It’s almost as if the rest of the country couldn’t care less about them and assigns zero value to any association with them.

Back