What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

ok, if you can't give an example, could you cite any sources for the XII selecting Baylor and TCU specifically for their private status? first order google search no help and my memory of the reporting was the Baylor had more to do with Rick Perry's influence than anything else.

to be clear, I'm not saying you and Sink are wrong on this, I'm just stating this idea of private schools' status being a benefit to their member conferences is a new take to my understanding, and I'm not finding any sources to confirm or correct what you two are getting at it.
Take TCU out of your searches. They were not selected due to private status - remember they came into the B12 at a later time.

I recall a lot of discussions around that time that the Big 8 schools wanted at least one private school in the new Big 12, mainly for the ability to shield more conference business decisions from easy and/or automatic disclosure.

It's also one of those things that if you're running a conference, or you're a public school official that you don't exactly talk about very openly - and never, abso****inglutely no way, "on the record."

I mean, how does that interview go? "Yes, this is part of our strategy to deliberately get around a bunch of laws." No one says that, ever. What they say is "this school brings all sorts of value to the conference" and then list a bunch of bull****.

The biggest thing to consider though is "why does every major conference choose to have at least one private school?" What does Vanderbilt bring the SEC? What does Northwestern bring the B1G? What did Baylor actually bring the Big12 (transport back in time to when they were selected - they were a traditional complete and total football loser)?

You note the MWC and their lack of a private school. But TCU and BYU left them, not the other way around, and while we haven't paid too much attention to it, whenever there is talk of MWC expansion, that talk always includes Rice and SMU, and if non-football members are on the table, Gonzaga and DU - all of which private. SMU brings some football cred, but the other three are notable because they either bring nothing or almost nothing on the football front - yet they're serious options - why?

Last edited:
I'm only speculating, but I suspect this was a request of schools like Vanderbilt, Arkansas and Kentucky. I don't think Alabama, Georgia and Florida were too concerned about either the probability or the impact of another school leaving them behind.
Where would Arkansas go?

Where would Arkansas go?
my thought, as expressed in the post you quoted, is that they wouldn't consider leaving the SEC. I do think Arkansas and others may have some anxiety around the idea of, for example, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas leaving the SEC and forming a new league with Ohio State and Notre Dame.

my thought, as expressed in the post you quoted, is that they wouldn't consider leaving the SEC. I do think Arkansas and others may have some anxiety around the idea of, for example, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas leaving the SEC and forming a new league with Ohio State and Notre Dame.
Yeah, I guess if we’re talking buyouts and the buyout effecting Ark, KY, and Vandy, but Arkansas being concerned about the teams you mentioned leaving for a super conference - I’m just curious on thoughts where Arkansas would go…if they were to execute a buyout. Seems like they are turning the corner in the SEC and wouldn’t really want to leave.

Yeah, I guess if we’re talking buyouts and the buyout effecting Ark, KY, and Vandy, but Arkansas being concerned about the teams you mentioned leaving for a super conference - I’m just curious on thoughts where Arkansas would go…if they were to execute a buyout. Seems like they are turning the corner in the SEC and wouldn’t really want to leave.
Agree, that it's hard to imagine a better conference home for Arkansas than the current SEC.

However, if the CFP competitive members of the SEC leave, Arkansas' best option is to get what money they can from those schools, and then have the SEC backfill with the best available schools (first thoughts, that'd be the XII leftovers

last, I'll restate what I've posted several times before -- I'll be convinced these conference Grants of Rights mean something if and when they standup to a test in a court of law. Until then, I'm dubious they have real teeth.

Not just financials, but a lot of contractual things. State institutions are generally subject to state level FOIA laws. But there are usually business competition type exemptions that can be cited if you're partnering with a private institution, so yes, having a private school in a conference is very much an advantage in not having to disclose not just financials but other contractual terms.

Reportedly, this was a big factor in why Baylor got picked to join the original Big12. 12 was the magic number, and none of the Big 8 was going to be left behind - it was the SWC that was collapsing. UT and aTm were obvious. So then it was TT vs Houston, and one of Baylor, TCU, SMU or Rice for the final two slots. Rice didn't/doesn't bring much, SMU was still a football disaster after the death penalty, so it was a fight between Baylor and TCU - and Baylor, as one would expect, played dirty.

If SMU hadn't received the death penalty in 1987 (or if they had actually managed to hire McCartney away from CU when started the rebuild), there's a very good chance that SMU ends up in the Big12 and Baylor would have been left behind with Houston, TCU, and Rice.

all that seems to be about the story. but, also, that BU grad Ann Richards was governer of Texas and she put the screws on the dead bodies buried all over Texas.....is the story i remember hearing...for good old Baylor.

and we've seen how cool Baylor is since then.

though, i have to give them credit....they are winning the Big XII in football. and the basketball national championship.

seems kinda weird. so it goes.

I think this move would be a bridge too far. At some point this type of arrangement is going to get uninteresting and they are going to kill the golden goose.
I’m not sure they haven’t already

I think the biggest risk would be the B1G making an offer to Mizzou to join with Kansas. Honestly, it should happen.

i agree.....MU peoples have always wanted the Big 10....much like CU had always felt was a better fit in the Pac. one of the first message boards i used to read was the Tigerboard hoops, late 90's.....good talk about hoops in the Big XII, lotta Kansas hate, posters from different school. fun. surprisingly, another good conference hoops board inna day was hornfans.com. and then TJ Ford got Rick Barnes into being pretty good and hornfans hoops went usual UT self-fellatio....i digress.

anyway, side topic was the Mizzou peeps always banging on about being in the Big 10. AAU. i was surprised when they went SEC. money just too good. pretty average in football since Gary Pinkel (really underrated coach in retrospect?) and Cuonzo Martin, meh.

the MU-KU rivalry is one of the most underrated in sport. the hate is historical, Bill Quantrill burns Lawrence to the ground. these are things people don't forget. historical memory used to be a thing, right? before iphones and NIL?

Last edited:
all that seems to be about the story. but, also, that BU grad Ann Richards was governer of Texas and she put the screws on the dead bodies buried all over Texas.....is the story i remember hearing...for good old Baylor.

and we've seen how cool Baylor is since then.

though, i have to give them credit....they are winning the Big XII in football. and the basketball national championship.

seems kinda weird. so it goes.
Bob Bullock was the deal maker / arm twister on the Baylor move.

NCAA members voted Thursday to ratify a new, streamlined version of the association's constitution.

The motion passed with 80.4% of members voting in favor, putting an expected stamp of approval on the first part of a two-step process to significantly reduce the responsibility of the association's national office and to overhaul rules at all levels of college sports during one of the most tumultuous times in the industry's history. Each of the NCAA's three divisions will now start working on revising or creating their own rules to align with the fundamental principles laid out in the new constitution.

ESPN link

this seems fairly huge.

ESPN link

this seems fairly huge.

More D2 and D3 schools could be headed to D1. Likewise with FCS to FBS given that the increase in scholarship usually leads to an extra $1M in the school's coffers for football in addition to more female sports being offered to comply with Title IX.

There's also the rules for each classification and some of those changes could lead to some schools leaving for higher or lower classifications. The realignment stuff we have seen the last couple of years could be just the appetizer compared to what is to come.

Anyone following the drama between a few C-USA schools making the move to the SBC? Marshall just got a restraining order against the C-USA in state court and then the SBC does this:

Marshall, ODU, and Southern Miss can play in the Sun Belt Conference this fall after some court decisions. C-USA will have 11 teams for this upcoming season which means they would have to petition the NCAA for a waiver to hold their CCG.

When you look at the full membership, it's really surprising that anyone would leave C-USA for Sun Belt. I'd Have thought it would be going the other direction.

When you look at the full membership, it's really surprising that anyone would leave C-USA for Sun Belt. I'd Have thought it would be going the other direction.

Just take a look at the media rights deals for both conferences and it's pretty obvious.

Just take a look at the media rights deals for both conferences and it's pretty obvious.
Both conferences have similar (and small) media shares from the conferences, about $500,000 per team. https://www.on3.com/news/conference-tv-deals-current-status-college-football/

Historically the Sun Belt has been the lowest status BCS level teams.

We are heading into a time though when almost all the conference contracts will be coming up at once. Based on the markets they are in the Sun Belt looks to be better placed than C-USA. Also with some teams building success the Sun Belt looks to have more national appeal

Louisiana finished the season ranked, Coastal Carolina was ranked much of the season, Appalachian State has been ranked has been one of the better G5 programs.

C-USA has multiple programs that are sinking or have sunk.

Prospects for future contracts are in favor of the Sun Belt

Interesting to think about these schools in both conferences.

Their conference media share for the year is about $500,000.

They can make double that by playing a road game at one of the big money programs.

Why does this represent what is wrong with college football?

The UT arrogance getting absolutely murdered online today when they haven’t even joined the conference yet is ****ing hilarious. They don’t know what they got themselves into

The UT arrogance getting absolutely murdered online today when they haven’t even joined the conference yet is ****ing hilarious. They don’t know what they got themselves into
Hardly surprising. Sucks having Texas honks in my family. A better name for them would be Delusions of Grandeur University.

Back