What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

******Official RMS Game Thread******

Offense as expected
Defense, no push, pressure and missed tackles. Missed assignments.

Hoping it was first game mistakes and new scheme. Whatever,
It is, it needs fixed asap. The ol and DL they will face next week may get ugly.

Buffs win! MVP's fontenot
Offense exceeded my expectations honestly -- I was able to predict every call over the last 10 years, didn't feel that tonight

I think half of the "slow" we saw tonight on the part of the defense was too much thinking and not reacting. Like they're not sure what they're supposed to do.

Hopefully we can chalk that up to first game in a new system and go from there. Next week is a much, much tougher task.

So, 25% of the conference trying to play defense means that the conference emphasizes defense?
Not what I said at all but the entire SEC doesn’t either. Just mean that those teams were/are good at it. Think Vandy, Mizzou, Ole Miss, etc are going all in on defense?

Offense was fantastic for the most part. Montez could have made a few better throws that would have really helped, but he played well enough to win and didn’t have any bad mistakes.

Here are the highlights though: 245 yards rushing and 3 Rushing TDs. The OL gave up 0 sacks and the team didn’t turn it over. If they can get that kind of performance from the OL and RBs and Montez plays mostly mistake free, the offense is going to be just fine.

Haven't read any posts I imagine the normal stuff, Coach had this team playing like he's preached. CSU and coach Bobo look much better than last year, good for them hope they stay healthy and win their share of games. It was nice seeing a Buffs team physically wear out the other guys and impose their will in the 4th quarter offensively. Not really suprised by the defense with how young they are, weekly growth from them is going to happen. Very clean game for the staff, and players
Shoulder to Shoulder

Offense exceeded my expectations honestly -- I was able to predict every call over the last 10 years, didn't feel that tonight

Offense excellent-a lot more balanced than we've been in a number of years, and the offensive line looked much better. Defense gets a C for this performance-the turnovers are great.....but saw a lot of overplaying and selling out on fakes which concern me given NU and AFA's visits the next two weeks. Let's hope the coaches can get that fixed before next week.

Lot of busted coverages and confused looks on defense. Think we need to simplify the scheme to fix some of our problems at LB and DB. Brumbaugh looking like the obvious weak link, as feared. Next to no push, few pass rush moves, no stunts.. not sure there is an easy fix there.

Fontenot looks solid. Hope we can find ways to get Viska involved more. Guy is amazing. Too many deep routes for him, but the 2nd half was better in that regard. Tony Brown, TEs, KD, Kinney, Onu all made some nice plays.

Landman looked lost and slow. :confused:
Viska is a new toy for Johnson. He will get better using Viska.

I'm going to go against the grain a little bit RE: the defense.

Bobo is actually a good offensive play caller, and they obviously surprised us a little bit with #22. Plus, Hill is the first CSU QB in a long time to actually throw an accurate pass.

Which isn't to say we haven't looked disappointing tonight, but maybe not necessarily DOOOOOOOOM worthy.

I think they had a good game plan and Bobo's 50 y/o qb executed it well. That first half was annoying as hell, so many play variations from the same formations and/or motion.

Kudos to the D for the takeaways - they weren't gimme's. And kudos to the O for cashing in.

Is this what competitive football looks like? Haven't seen this since maybe 2001.

Not what I said at all but the entire SEC doesn’t either. Just mean that those teams were/are good at it. Think Vandy, Mizzou, Ole Miss, etc are going all in on defense?

I’m going to research this and get back. It seems like it’ll take some statistical compiling for league wide averages.

Reality Check.

Bobo called a heck of a game and gave his team a chance to win based on excellent play calling

CU played the cleanest game they have in YEARS. Very few penalties, no turnovers, no delay of games, no PI penalties, no subbing errors etc. I have to think back to the the late season games in the early 2000’s to remember such a well coached effort. Very disciplined and clean football.

Jay Johnson has installed an excellent college offense that allows the players to make plays. We are in great shape with him calling plays. For the first time in years, I don’t hear clown music when I watch out offense.

Montez still can’t read a defense but probably has the raw talent to win 6 games this year. Not an NFL QB.

We need to protect the perimeter better on defense, but overall I’m gonna give this effort a solid B/B+. It is clear to me that we have a GREAT coach that will get his team to a six win season.

For the first time in years I see a team that isn’t going to beat itself. That is a HUGE improvement over the past two decades.

I think half of the "slow" we saw tonight on the part of the defense was too much thinking and not reacting. Like they're not sure what they're supposed to do.

Hopefully we can chalk that up to first game in a new system and go from there. Next week is a much, much tougher task.

To me, the biggest red flags were from missed tackles. Landman, for instance, got embarrassed on 3 chunk plays from csu when he could’ve made play saving tackles.

Back